Official 2016 Staff Changes

"Facts" and "Journalism" used in the same sentence is ironic.

It's a lost art.

Yesterday I got a private message from someone (gonna keep the person unnamed) who informed me that the Colts' brass caption head, Jason Buckingham, has left. I will not be posting the link to the announcement unless the Colts announce it themselves due to the fact that Jason uses an alternate name for his Facebook account in order to keep it private. Will update OP once I get access to a laptop tomorrow.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

You're suggesting journalists have principles?

:tounge2:

...well, they're *supposed* to! Hahahaha...when I thought I might be a newspaper guy that was the meme educationally...

Crossmen Announce new Brass Caption Head for 2016

smason.png
Crossmen announced today that effective immediately, Stephen Mason will take the helm of the Brass Program for 2016. Known most recently for his work at Carolina Crown, Mr. Mason was an integral part of the Crown Brass team in recent years.

“We are excited about bringing Steve on to the Crossmen team,” said Program Coordinator Ed Devlin. “We believe his approach to brass pedagogy and instruction will help further develop the brass program for years to come.”

Mr. Mason takes over for Anthony Cruddas – the Brass Caption Head for the previous two seasons (2014, 2015). The Crossmen Brass section finished in 11th place at the DCI World Championship Finals.

“We felt it was the right time to make some changes in the Brass program,” said Executive Director, Fred Morrison. “While these changes are never easy, we are grateful for the work and development that Anthony (Cruddas] and his team have given to the Crossmen for the last two seasons. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Audition information for the 2016 season is available at crossmen.org/membership

About Stephen Mason:

Stephen Mason earned his bachelors degrees at Mars Hills College in North Carolina. Mr. Mason then went on to earn his masters degree in euphonium performance at the University of California at Los Angeles where he studied with Pat Sheridan and Gordon Henderson. Stephen began his teaching career at the Troopers in 2010 and has devoted the last five years as a member of the Carolina Crown brass staff. He is sought after as a clinician and has worked with programs from all over the United States, Japan, and Thailand. Stephen is currently serving as the Winds Coordinator at Rhythm X, in the newly formed WGI Winds division. Stephen currently resides in Indianapolis, Indiana with his wife Danielle.
Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1

Interesting because according to some people who were "in the know" that I spoke to at the time the Crossmen moved to San Antonio they were supposedly all but set on bringing in the staff who took Crown from middle of the pack to champion and when it fell through they ended up at Crown (and the rest is history). No idea about the validity of that story though.

The new Xmen brass caption head has the pedigree, that's for sure. I guess Xmen are trying to implement the Crown sound (Crownd?).

Assuming Andrew Markworth stays on as Arranger, I assume he and Mason have worked together when they were both with Crown.

Since Ed Devlin made the announcement, it sounds like he's staying.

I look forward to hearing what the hornline sounds like next year.

The "Visual" section on the Crossmen staff web page is now blank. It was not blank yesterday.

http://www.crossmen.org/staff

Could mean that they haven't re-upped yet, not necessarily that they are gone. Or maybe they are in process of updating website.

Could mean that they haven't re-upped yet, not necessarily that they are gone. Or maybe they are in process of updating website.

They got Stephen Mason on there pretty quickly.

This is very possible with many corps. I know when i hire it is always with the understanding that everyone is fired at the end of season. with that, ( usually way before now though ) they are asked back...or not

Usually those who are of value to a program know long before championships if they are coming back. The same though can be said of those who it just didnt work out for some reason. This doesnt mean a person was bad or anything. It could just be chemistry or a million other reasons. Or a drama queen...lol Sometimes talent comes at a price..lol

• Like 1