Official 2016 Staff Changes

Fact checking is an important (journalistic) principle :)

So is keeping your cool when someone calls you out.

Even if you were mistakingly called out.

This is very possible with many corps. I know when i hire it is always with the understanding that everyone is fired at the end of season. with that, ( usually way before now though ) they are asked back...or not

Usually those who are of value to a program know long before championships if they are coming back. The same though can be said of those who it just didnt work out for some reason. This doesnt mean a person was bad or anything. It could just be chemistry or a million other reasons. Or a drama queen...lol Sometimes talent comes at a price..lol

If there is a contractural agreement or an agreement upon hiring, with your process, this would be OK for some people. But for me, personally, I wouldn't work for you if I were to work with the understanding I am "fired" at the end of a season as a matter of your usual procedure. But that would be my choice to decide if a position was offered. I would want there to be an expectation I'd be back the following year, especially as a program is building. Hopefully there is an end of season review right away so no one is left hanging. And maybe, possibly, there is a review during the season to advise or coach an instructor, to inseure they are delivering what you are expecting them to. I totally agree with you that talent does come at a price and that needs to be weighed carefully against not only the end result you want, but the impact for future development of MM's and growth of the organization.

If there is a contractural agreement or an agreement upon hiring, with your process, this would be OK for some people. But for me, personally, I wouldn't work for you if I were to work with the understanding I am "fired" at the end of a season as a matter of your usual procedure. But that would be my choice to decide if a position was offered. I would want there to be an expectation I'd be back the following year, especially as a program is building. Hopefully there is an end of season review right away so no one is left hanging. And maybe, possibly, there is a review during the season to advise or coach an instructor, to inseure they are delivering what you are expecting them to. I totally agree with you that talent does come at a price and that needs to be weighed carefully against not only the end result you want, but the impact for future development of MM's and growth of the organization.

This happens often in this activity..winter and summer and even in DCA . One knows for sure while going through a process . Its not just me , believe me i took that lead from many others. One can also look at it as it does make it easier and less complicated in the end. As you said contracts are for a year for most. which in essence means the relationship is severed unless asked to be reinstated. Not uncommon.

Unless you are with a corps for many years ( like maybe BD ) why would it be unreasonable? why would one think without proving themselves that they should have beyond a year.

There are so many factors investing in a staff person, especially if one does not know how it will actually turn out. There have been some very talented people in places that the chemistry just didn't work. That doesn't make the place or the person bad , just not a good fit.

If one becomes or is asked to be a major part of something building and IF the fit works , then thats a total different circumstance and both parties will know it.

These reviews as you mentioned usually are an ongoing process , so one really knows . it's also been my experience that usually ( maybe not everyone ) by the time it's championships week many staff are asked if they have played a role that benefits both parties. I have seen this benefit both parties, especially if one is new to a program. I have for sure seen many staff over the years who couldnt wait to get out of dodge. SO it was just a bit easier, less drama.

Like most jobs , it is the employee who has to prove themselves to be considered for continual employment. On the other hand it also gives the employee an option also if on their part they are not comfortable in the situation. Usually those who worry they wont go beyond a year i have found have a reason for thinking this. It usually shows fairly early also.

One has to only go on tour for a while and believe me all concerned know if this is working or not...lol

Maybe if the word fired was not part of it but reviewed for continual employment you might feel different. Although it kinda means the same thing, or at least means , don't assume.

Edited by GUARDLING

So is keeping your cool when someone calls you out.

Even if you were mistakingly called out.

Hey, if someone points BS at me, I'm going to act accordingly.

• Like 1

Hey, if someone points BS at me, I'm going to act accordingly.

Then you probably shouldn't throw out the whole proper journalism card.

Oh, and proper journalists don't show bias either😀

Edited by tesmusic

Then you probably shouldn't throw out the whole proper journalism card.

Oh, and proper journalists don't show bias either

Off topic, but I would be willing to say that "proper" journalists are outnumbered today 10,000 to 1 by hacks that just want to be read.

It's a lost art.

Yesterday I got a private message from someone (gonna keep the person unnamed) who informed me that the Colts' brass caption head, Jason Buckingham, has left. I will not be posting the link to the announcement unless the Colts announce it themselves due to the fact that Jason uses an alternate name for his Facebook account in order to keep it private. Will update OP once I get access to a laptop tomorrow.

Nice non-mention, Cap.

Guess you are learning some of those Beltway bandits' tricks of the trade.

And Tekk, doesn't the lad have to be 21 to go out for a brew with you?!!! He's not military.

Edited by xandandl

there are some shows that need to have the entire staff fired...just saying

Just your friendly reminder that these staff are real people :) I think it's better to keep those thoughts in your head or to express them in a more tactful manner.

• Like 4

Just your friendly reminder that these staff are real people :) I think it's better to keep those thoughts in your head or to express them in a more tactful manner.

But Im a real person with an opinion. Its just an observation. Im no Donald Trump