The Cavaliers 2016

Some overall thoughts on this announcement. Finally another corps announced........yeesh. Just me over analyzing stuff.

Theme – This is already so much easier to understand and get than last years was ever going to be. I think I got it, but that was definitely not the consensus, which was FAR more divided. This should be something everyone can get, and that they can have some serious fun with. Four INCREDIBLY distinct musical selections for the different sections. They definitely won’t bleed together, that’s for sure. As far as the Fallout thing is concerned that I was nerding out about, don’t’ think that’s the case. However, wouldn’t surprise me to see an element or two pop up, that was an incredibly present theme in that game series.

Music:

Purcell – I’m incredibly glad to see his name pop up again for the Cavaliers. Their ballad from 2014 which was his “When I am Laid in Earth” is one of the more unappreciated fantastic selections in recent memory, at least for me. Of all this music, the March section seems most fitting for this theme. If that is what they use, I wonder if we’ll get a “Clockwork Orange” treatment of it ala this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9RyWMbw79s

There are PLENTY of elements of that movie that would fit well in this type of show, haha. Maybe that’s where they got the music……but that’s just me speculating. Is it June yet?

Gould – Perhaps some patriotic propaganda? The Marianelli is pretty obviously the ballad, so I’m guessing either stuff from the second half of the first movement or the second. There’s some more march type stuff in the second half of movement one with the marching machine going, which seems like a no brainer pit instrument for a show like this. Regardless, very interesting selection. Love the fact they’re bringing so much new music!

Marianelli – Ballad material. And chilling stuff at that. The choral stuff over the strings is as follows:

till all our strivings cease;

take from our souls the strain and stress,

and let our ordered lives confess

the beauty of thy peace;

the beauty of thy peace.

Breathe through the heats of our desire

thy coolness and thy balm;

let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;

speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,

O still, small voice of calm;

O still, small voice of calm.

Haven’t seen the movie Atonement, which this is from, but the plot sounds pretty heartbreaking, and World War II is a setting in it. Gorgeous music that should make for a gorgeous ballad. Sensing some wartime propaganda perhaps?

Adams – Anything that uses the same source music as the 2011 Academy show is going to be downright fun, and this was the most fun in that show. I don’t think its subject matter has any significance, it’s just a quirky, fun, and entertaining piece of music that will make a fantastic closer. Definitely gives off a more lighthearted, atypical vibe that they could have some fun with while trying to brainwash us entertain us.

So overall, great source music again. A much more simple and easy to get theme on the surface that could be incredibly fun, and tons of variety and moods musically that could be fantastic. It's all in what they put on the field though, so we shall see! I really like this announcement though, definitely near the top of my anticipated list. It's just nice to have another show announcement already.........was getting pretty dry there for awhile.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Cool theme, Bixby high school from Oklahoma did a FANTASTIC show with the same thematic idea this past fall. Looking forward to seeing what Cavies do with it. :)

What did Bixby use as repertoire?

I'm getting more of an Xmen 2013 vibe, though with a typical Cavies rep.

Elegy for Dunkirk Is one of my favorite pieces from any film, largely due to the mood it sets in an incredibly shot scene in Atonement. Happy to see it will be in the Cavaliers repotoire. Possibly a candidate for ballad of the year.

This scene with Elegy for Dunkirk is one large take with brilliant cinematography. Here it is from the film:

http://youtu.be/m_yhuhp880s

Edited by Dmlkmen

Many British & military ties here. Purcell, West Point, Elegy with use of the "Repton" hymn tune by British composer Parry-as well as War/Allies, Lollapalooza written for 40th Birthday of British conductor Simon Rattle, etc.

Also, many interesting key relationships inter-connected. Won't delve into all I've found, but the underlying harmonic, melodic, motific substrate is intriguing to me.

Looking forward to this production.

What did Bixby use as repertoire?

Just watched a video of their show. I recognized "Overture" from Dancer in the Dark by Björk and "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse, but nothing else.