Anyone think SCV would/should do Phantom of the Opera for the musical&

EDIT: TITLE CUT OFF: ...for the musical's 30th Anniversary

For me, I'm torn at yes and no. I love the artistic direction they went with this year but man, being able to see Phantom of the Opera in drum corps form in person would be simply amazing. I also would hope that they put more hornline meat into it.

Edited by NeutralNovice

Anniversary shows are usually for the anniversary of the corps, not the music. That said, many corps have brought back music and shows they did many years ago and were successful with it. '86 BD, '08 Phantom, '85 Madison, '90 Cadets just to name a few. No one eligible to march today was alive when they did those shows, so I could see it as a possibility. IMHO, it was some of the most easily translatable music to go from Broadway to the field.

Anniversary shows are usually for the anniversary of the corps, not the music. That said, many corps have brought back music and shows they did many years ago and were successful with it. '86 BD, '08 Phantom, '85 Madison, '90 Cadets just to name a few. No one eligible to march today was alive when they did those shows, so I could see it as a possibility. IMHO, it was some of the most easily translatable music to go from Broadway to the field.

BD 2013 too.

No. I think Blue Devils should.

As much as I've loved BD in the past 7-8 years, I'm not sure how I'd feel about a jazzy take on Phantom of the Opera.

I'm all for corps revisting shows from their past, except when they already won with that show.

Now, if they did a show called Excellence: A History of the Santa Clara Vanguard, I'd be all for some SCV Phantom of the Opera to return to the field!

As much as I loved SCV's take on Phantom in '88 and '89 I think they should leave those two shows to speak for themselves. That is a show that barely missed the title in '88 and took it in '89 and is still looked at as one of the all time great shows. To revisit it now would lead to comparisons with the original which are not likely to be favorable. It's hard to compete with an all time great show. And anything less than a title would be seen as a major disappointment and would diminish the legacy of the originals.

When Phantom Regiment resurrected Spartacus in 2008 they were taking a show that was loved at the time but never looked on as an all time great. It can be seen as never achieving its full potential finishing 4th both years they did it (1981 and 1982). By revisiting it in 2008 they were able to breathe new life into it and take it to a place the original never got to.

Nope. I am as much a dinosaur as the next, but I can appreciate the old shows and still leave them in the past. Loved Spark of Invention from SCV this year. Loved Bluecoats. Loved Blue Knights. Take me places I haven't been. Show me things I haven't seen.

I'm all for corps revisting shows from their past, except when they already won with that show.

Now, if they did a show called Excellence: A History of the Santa Clara Vanguard, I'd be all for some SCV Phantom of the Opera to return to the field!

That would be a solid title for the 2017 show for their 50th anniversary.