Anyone think SCV would/should do Phantom of the Opera for the musical&

I'll try to say this in a positive way: Genesis did POTO this year and, though I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think they should have left this show's idea at the planning table. It's simply too iconic and classic to be done again If anyone were to do it, it's SCV to take it to task. However, unless they could bury '89 in the dust, then NO. Don't do it.

Just imagine that SCV announced today they're revisiting POTO. The collective groans from fans would be heard coast to coast.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

totally!

not to mention the entire, on-going copyrights issue.........Andrew Lloyd Webber's music has been one of the biggest rights battles from the start. Wasn't SCV one of the first to get yanked off FN when they initially started pulling down individual shows?

They should totally do it. I would love to see Phantom performed live by SCV.

No, that's another idea that should stay in the past, as Fiddler (which GR loved) in '92 was his "retirement sendoff" show. Unfortunately, he passed away 10 months later. :flower::sad:

And a not-so-fun memory of tour + reception of that 92 show by judges. From what I hear GR loved the members & show, but was constantly frustrated by DCI judges who didn't appreciate the show as much as GR had hoped.

I agree that "Fiddler" is a show concept that SCV should keep in memory of GR and not bring back, unless it is a quote or something really super special (such as the Bottle Dance pose that SCV visual team seem to love putting into shows as homage)

• Like 1

Please, please no rehashes - for SCV or anyone else (except for many many years I've been wanting Regiment to bring the black back and do Symphonie Fatasique - I'd be OK with that - and what's cool is that a storyline is included at no extra charge! Sorry, I'm straying off topic)

On a related note, to the '92 Fiddler show, I only saw the final product during finals week in Madison. I've heard stories about the show being very different early in the season and they just kept changing it and paring it down (some say for the better, some say for worse). Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the evolution of the show over that season?

The end result was part throwback and part, for lack of a better term, underwhelming.

• Like 1

Rehashes should be outlawed

I don't think you would ever get George Hopkins to agree to that. (See what I did there? :bleah: )

• Like 1

SCV has already done " Phantom of the Opera " twice. 3 times would be overkill, imo. Besides, sequels, even in the movies, oftentimes does not attain the level of greatness as the original did.

Edited by BRASSO