Anyone think SCV would/should do Phantom of the Opera for the musical&

Rehashes should be outlawed

It's a minority of the crowd that would consider doing something that was done 25+ years ago a "rehash". So many fans and all MM's weren't even alive back then.

It's a minority of the crowd that would consider doing something that was done 25+ years ago a "rehash". So many fans and all MM's weren't even alive back then.

Yes, but keep in mind that many of the judges that judged these shows as originals back then ( 25 years ago ) would be the same judges , judging the rehash. And generally speaking, these judges tend to like, but not reward, rehash music & shows, and drill moves. Now, if a Corps decides to put the fans first and disregard the history of what the judges tend to reward, then I'm totally on board here with THAT. But lets be realistic here, if the goal is to top the Blue Devils, a rehash show simply isn't going to cut it with these DCI judges.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Would LOVE to see Crossmen get back to playing that style again. When the Crossmen sounded like the Crossmen

Yes. X-Men are one of the Corps that have just gone off the radar "artsy fartsy" and away from their roots. (Along with Spirit of Atlanta and Phantom)

Haven't seen a single show that I've liked since they moved to Texas.

Crossmen, Spirit, Phantom and Cavaliers are all "Titanic" Corps that have hit the Iceberg and are sinking fast.........

Yes. X-Men are one of the Corps that have just gone off the radar "artsy fartsy" and away from their roots. (Along with Spirit of Atlanta and Phantom)

Haven't seen a single show that I've liked since they moved to Texas.

Crossmen, Spirit, Phantom and Cavaliers are all "Titanic" Corps that have hit the Iceberg and are sinking fast.........

Not sure what makes you think Phantom has lost its identity in any way at all. If anything, I think they are remaining true to it so much to the point that some things are becoming stale. Edited by Cappybara

As one who marched both Phantom of the Opera shows and Fiddler I think the answer for SCV lies in pushing forward, not looking back. Phantom was VERY current when we performed it but, as much as I enjoyed performing it then, the music from Phantom simply is not timeless. This was our downfall with Fiddler.

To answer a question from earlier in this thread, the 1992 Fiddler production went through more overhauls than I can possibly begin to mention. There were entire pieces of music that the drumline learned (including drill), but ended up on the editing room floor before we ever put it together with the hornline. We had a retro drumline section during the Wedding Ceremony that was cut before we left California. The second ballad, "Sunrise, Sunset," was cut and replaced with "Chavala" only about 1 week before finals. Plans to have the corps exit the field to "Anatevka" after the Bottle Dance were scrapped. The colorguard stripped down every aspect of their costume and equipment package to a solid black spandex dress and one flag for the entire show. The ending coda following the Bottle Dance was added during finals week after Gail yielded to pressure from the staff.

The show really was doomed from the start, and it all began with a dated musical package. Don't get me wrong - I very much enjoyed performing that show!!! No matter how much the corps loved performing the show, however, or how well we performed it, it was not going to be competitive by the standards of that time. This was further complicated by the fact that every judge on the planet had their own preconceived notion of what SCV's 25th Anniversary Fiddler show SHOULD have been - and they were ALL different! I think this permeated into the staff as well, leading to all of the constant, significant changes. We couldn't seem to please anybody (ourselves included). Nonetheless, the 1992 corps was a very mature group that went out and performed the hell out the show that we had each and every night!