DVDs are back

Eh, 24-bit audio has a considerably lower noise floor and is noticeably (to my ears, anyway) more dynamic than 16-bit audio. Sampling rates (44.1 vs 88.2 vs 96 kHz) are much more subtle. But greater bit depth does make a noticeable impact.

Not that I'd expect anyone who croons over 128 kb mp3 to notice the difference (i.e. 90% of the listening public).

My bad, didn't know about the technicalities between CD's and DVD's. See, the thing is that DCI charges quite a bit for the DVD's when I don't really care for the video aspect of the shows once the season is over. If they sold a lower-priced audio only version of physical media, I'd jump on it.

They've always offered audio CD sets each season since 1988 as well as DVDs since 2000 and Blu-Rays since 2009.

Eh, 24-bit audio has a considerably lower noise floor and is noticeably (to my ears, anyway) more dynamic than 16-bit audio. Sampling rates (44.1 vs 88.2 vs 96 kHz) are much more subtle. But greater bit depth does make a noticeable impact.

Not that I'd expect anyone who croons over 128 kb mp3 to notice the difference (i.e. 90% of the listening public).

No one listening to a recording of a drum corps performance is going to say, "Gosh, I wish this was available in 24-bit."

I thought I had a complete set of DVD's but I am missing 2013 DVD volume 2. I called DCI to see if it is available and was told it was sold out and would not be reissued. At least for the time being, sold out DVD's will not be reissued, so buy now.

On another note, I told the person I spoke with I always watch the new DVD's on Thanksgivibg, would I still be able to keep this tradition? She laughed and said they were hoping for Christmas.

No one listening to a recording of a drum corps performance is going to say, "Gosh, I wish this was available in 24-bit."

I have drum corps recordings in 24-bit (the Ray Kimber IsoMike SACDs), so I alone prove you wrong here, my friend. Not saying my opinion is in the majority ... certainly ears tuned to compression and low-res artifacts who aren't discerning listeners to the quality of the capture won't notice or care.

Hey, if all you ever eat is Burger King, how would you know what a filet mignon tastes like?

• Like 1

It takes a few months to produce and press cd's and dvd's. The usual target is to get them shipping in time for Christmas.

Yes, first of December if everything is going well, if I remember.

But the PRE-order was available even before the start of the season. So I guess our official position right now has to be "wait and see."

+++

Semi-related: There is an old expression, "strike while the iron is hot." With this being one of the most exciting seasons in memory, with all the increase in interest by fans, it will be a financial disaster that DCI can't capitalize on all that excitement by selling the DVD's right now. Once the emotion has worn off, the moment when a lot of fans who might order the DVD's will be lost.

Not a big fan of buying physical media. Would much rather just have a download or streaming option.

You need to get the Blu-ray (BD). There is NOTHING better than the BD audio, it's an order of magnitude better than the CD. It's phenomenal sound. :smile:

Oh, and get yourself some big speakers and a subwoofer while you're at it. You can thank me later. :cool:

• Like 3

At Big, Live, and Loud, the third volume of the Essentials DVD was highlighted, which to me was all but an advertisement which made me wonder if they would be available again in the near future. I guess they are. Word to the wise: buy now. They may not be available forever.

Yup. As soon as I saw this post, I ordered Essentials 3. Too many great shows on that one to not own it.

• Like 1

Yes, first of December if everything is going well, if I remember.

But the PRE-order was available even before the start of the season. So I guess our official position right now has to be "wait and see."

+++

Semi-related: There is an old expression, "strike while the iron is hot." With this being one of the most exciting seasons in memory, with all the increase in interest by fans, it will be a financial disaster that DCI can't capitalize on all that excitement by selling the DVD's right now. Once the emotion has worn off, the moment when a lot of fans who might order the DVD's will be lost.

I disagree that DCI will care about the lost opportunity. They've said for a couple of years that the majority of fans (60% or so) buy FN for live feeds only, and they were (are) willing to relegate hard media sales to the collectors. If that's the case, the collectors will buy it when it's released.

I think you're referring to the DVR function; hard media will likely return (albeit maybe with some un-copyrighted edits, IDK). DCI was willing to lose FN "collectors" knowing (hoping) they'd shift those purchase dollars to hard media.