DVDs are back

You need to get the Blu-ray (BD). There is NOTHING better than the BD audio, it's an order of magnitude better than the CD. It's phenomenal sound. :smile:

Oh, and get yourself some big speakers and a subwoofer while you're at it. You can thank me later. :cool:

TOTALLY have to second this. I'm a movie nerd and have hundreds of films on Blu-ray, but for a long time I didn't care that much about drum corps on Blu-ray. I figured the production values of DCI, while awesome for the activity, likely didn't warrant paying extra for the Blu-rays.

Then I got the "Essentials" discs and it was a VERY simple A/B between Legacy DVDs and the Essentials Blu-ray. The difference was astounding, and obvious. If you're truly passionate about the activity, and/or about specific seasons, I can't recommend enough to invest the extra cash into the Blu-rays!

• Like 5

TOTALLY have to second this. I'm a movie nerd and have hundreds of films on Blu-ray, but for a long time I didn't care that much about drum corps on Blu-ray. I figured the production values of DCI, while awesome for the activity, likely didn't warrant paying extra for the Blu-rays.

Then I got the "Essentials" discs and it was a VERY simple A/B between Legacy DVDs and the Essentials Blu-ray. The difference was astounding, and obvious. If you're truly passionate about the activity, and/or about specific seasons, I can't recommend enough to invest the extra cash into the Blu-rays!

The improvement you're hearing on the Essentials Blu-rays has less to do with the higher-fidelity format and more to do with the fact that the sound on the Blu-rays was remastered from the original audio tapes (or high-end digital copy). The videos on the Legacy DVDS from the 1970s & 1980s were not recorded with high-fidelity soundtracks, they were later synced to the audio recordings that existed at the time that were intended for release on LP. The Essentials serious went back to the drawing board with state of the art mastering techniques.

• Like 1

I find LPs to be of much higher quality in sound. There is no compression which is why audio now days sucks.

Vinyl blows the doors off of any other medium. Don't get me started about brick walled CDs

I have drum corps recordings in 24-bit (the Ray Kimber IsoMike SACDs), so I alone prove you wrong here, my friend. Not saying my opinion is in the majority ... certainly ears tuned to compression and low-res artifacts who aren't discerning listeners to the quality of the capture won't notice or care.

Hey, if all you ever eat is Burger King, how would you know what a filet mignon tastes like?

I stand corrected. I've never been able to hear astroturf grow.

The noise floor on the 24-bit 2014 Finals recordings is about 50dB below FS. What makes you think you're hearing even 12 bits of dynamic range, let alone 24 bits?

Look closely at the ingredients on that package of filet mignon - does it list horsemeat?

The improvement you're hearing on the Essentials Blu-rays has less to do with the higher-fidelity format and more to do with the fact that the sound on the Blu-rays was remastered from the original audio tapes (or high-end digital copy).

I wonder what bit depth they were remastered in. 12 bits probably, right?

• Like 1

Last year's Blu-Ray was my first for DCI, and the audio is excellent through my Audioengine computer speakers (with sub) and my Vandersteen main stereo speakers. The other revelation is how fine they sound through good headphones, transcoded to MP4 on my iPad for enjoyment on the train to work....well worth the cost to purchase and the time to transcode, IMHO.

It's your imagination, for a whole host of reasons. But revel in that...you like what you like.

I have a nephew who is a professional guitarist.

He started out recording his music in a digital medium,but now swears by analog.

He says analog gives a much "richer" sound.

He also uses "tube" amplifiers.

Again,says they give truer sound then the "chip" ones.

Edited by rpbobcat