DVDs are back

Has DCI offered high quality audio only CD's?

Huh? If it's higher resolution that 16-bit/44.1kHz then it isn't a CD. Higher-quality formats such as SACD failed because they hit the market the same time as mp3 players - music lovers wanted more convenience instead of more quality. The audio format for DVD and Blu-ray is 24-bit/96 kHz, so if you want that audio format you can get it from the DVDs they sell.

• Like 1

Huh? If it's higher resolution that 16-bit/44.1kHz then it isn't a CD. Higher-quality formats such as SACD failed because they hit the market the same time as mp3 players - music lovers wanted more convenience instead of more quality. The audio format for DVD and Blu-ray is 24-bit/96 kHz, so if you want that audio format you can get it from the DVDs they sell.

My bad, didn't know about the technicalities between CD's and DVD's. See, the thing is that DCI charges quite a bit for the DVD's when I don't really care for the video aspect of the shows once the season is over. If they sold a lower-priced audio only version of physical media, I'd jump on it.

At Big, Live, and Loud, the third volume of the Essentials DVD was highlighted, which to me was all but an advertisement which made me wonder if they would be available again in the near future. I guess they are. Word to the wise: buy now. They may not be available forever.

• Like 1

My bad, didn't know about the technicalities between CD's and DVD's. See, the thing is that DCI charges quite a bit for the DVD's when I don't really care for the video aspect of the shows once the season is over. If they sold a lower-priced audio only version of physical media, I'd jump on it.

So you want lower price and higher quality? Don't we all!

So you want lower price and higher quality? Don't we all!

No, I'm asking for less content at a lower price.

No, I'm asking for less content at a lower price.

I'm very confused. How are the CDs ($29.95) not the exact thing you are looking for?

I'm very confused. How are the CDs ($29.95) not the exact thing you are looking for?

Now I'm concerned that Cappy might have to go out and buy a CD player to rip from.

:tounge2:

Cappy, if you've got a BluRay player it likely can read audio CD's as well.

• Like 1

Now I'm concerned that Cappy might have to go out and buy a CD player to rip from.

:tounge2:

Cappy, if you've got a BluRay player it likely can read audio CD's as well.

HAH I may be young, but I'm not that young :) I had a CD player much before iPods came around.

Now I'm the one confused. Didn't Drangin just say that these are of lesser audio quality?

Now I'm the one confused. Didn't Drangin just say that these are of lesser audio quality?

Technically, yes. One format can record and playback dog whistle calls and the full dynamic range of a jet fighter taking off, the other can't, but they are both more than adequate for listening to music.

Edit, to clarify: the 16-bit/44.1kHz CD format is a high standard for quality audio reproduction. 24-bit/96kHz is mostly marketing hype, though it does give recordists more elbow room until a recording is mastered to the CD standard. Issues with audio quality only tend to occur when the data stream is reduced, such as for mp3 files for internet transmission. The standard rate for albums you buy on iTunes or other sources is 256kbps, which sounds very good even compared to the original CD-quality WAV file standard of 1411kbps.

Edited by drangin