DVDs are back

I find LPs to be of much higher quality in sound. There is no compression which is why audio now days sucks.

Say what? No compression on LPs? The best LPs have far more dynamic range compression going on than the best CDs. Not even close. Now analog tape, that's different. But LPs, no, they're highly compressed if the source material had a wide dynamic range. Please note, people producing CDs and other digital tracks new these days usually employ loudness war techniques and jam it all up high, but that's not a problem with digital or CDs; that's a problem with poor sound recording and mixing technique.

... most people have tin ears and think mp3 sounds just fine.

If you can listen to a great LP of say Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem or any other whisper-to-roar classical recording and not hear a ton of compression going on, then welcome to the tin ear brigade! :tounge2:

Personally I don't hear any more warmth in a good LP than a good CD, but that's personal taste. I can't get past the ticks, pops, scratches, and rumble of LPs. If you'd like to buy my remaining LPs and have the pick-up truck to haul 'em outta here, because they're too expensive to ship these days, you can have 'em. I'm done.

• Like 1

Personally I don't hear any more warmth in a good LP than a good CD, but that's personal taste. I can't get past the ticks, pops, scratches, and rumble of LPs. If you'd like to buy my remaining LPs and have the pick-up truck to haul 'em outta here, because they're too expensive to ship these days, you can have 'em. I'm done.

LP surface noise is why I turned to CD and never looked back, except for stuff you can't find on CD. Do you have any old drum corps LPs, like early 70s DCI prelims? Ken Kobold knew what he was doing.

• Like 3

LP surface noise is why I turned to CD and never looked back, except for stuff you can't find on CD. Do you have any old drum corps LPs, like early 70s DCI prelims? Ken Kobold knew what he was doing.

That predates me in drum corps by about five years, but I agree, though some finals recordings were better than others, Ken could be very good getting excellent fidelity with two mikes and a reel-to-reel, and his contribution to drum corps history was invaluable.

I'm not going to needle anyone who thinks LPs are groovy or pit them against those who beam about CDs. Frankly, I'm still reeling over the magnetic attraction some have for tape.

:plain:

I'm not going to needle anyone who thinks LPs are groovy or pit them against those who beam about CDs. Frankly, I'm still reeling over the magnetic attraction some have for tape.

Very, very cute. Will be interesting to see how many don't get the clues...

Just stop the thread here. skevinp won.