A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

A reconstruction of the 2015 DCI World Class Championship's 3 days of competition results in Carolina Crown winning the Founder's Trophy.

I have 2 theses in support of Crown's victory.

The first is that the Founder's Trophy should be awarded to the corps with the highest average score as a result of averaging their respective scores from all 3 days of competition. This is the fair basis for the awarding the Angelica, Brazale, Ott, Sanford and Zingali caption winners and, arguably, should be the basis for the Founder's Trophy as well.

If applied, the top 5 average scores would be 1. 96.775 Carolina Crown, 2. 96.542 Blue Devils, 3. 95.975 Bluecoats, 4. 95.625 The Cadets and 5. 93.525 SCV.

Parenthetically, if Los Diablos had not incurred the 0.50 penalty in the Prelims, the reconstructed order be the same but BD's average would be 96.708.

The second thesis is that the Ordinal for each corps' placement during each of the 3 days of competition should be a confirming factor in determining the champion, with the lowest aggregated ordinal winning the championship.

If applied, the top 5 would be First : Carolina Crown (4), Second : Blue Devils (7), Third : Bluecoats (9), Fourth : The Cadets (10) and Fifth : SCV (15).

Also, common sense should dictate that a corps such as Carolina Crown, which finished first, first and second, respectively, in Prelims, Semis and Finals should be accorded the edge over a corps, the Blue Devils, which finished fourth, second and first ( or if the 0.50 penalty is ignored, second, second and first ).

Hail Crown!

Now, onto A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the Fred Sanford Best Percussion Award in 2015.

• Like 1

A reconstruction of the 2015 DCI World Class Championship's 3 days of competition results in Carolina Crown winning the Founder's Trophy.

I have 2 theses in support of Crown's victory.

The first is that the Founder's Trophy should be awarded to the corps with the highest average score as a result of averaging their respective scores from all 3 days of competition. This is the fair basis for the awarding the Angelica, Brazale, Ott, Sanford and Zingali caption winners and, arguably, should be the basis for the Founder's Trophy as well.

If applied, the top 5 average scores would be 1. 96.775 Carolina Crown, 2. 96.542 Blue Devils, 3. 95.975 Bluecoats, 4. 95.625 The Cadets and 5. 93.525 SCV.

Parenthetically, if Los Diablos had not incurred the 0.50 penalty in the Prelims, the reconstructed order be the same but BD's average would be 96.708.

The second thesis is that the Ordinal for each corps' placement during each of the 3 days of competition should be a confirming factor in determining the champion, with the lowest aggregated ordinal winning the championship.

If applied, the top 5 would be First : Carolina Crown (4), Second : Blue Devils (7), Third : Bluecoats (9), Fourth : The Cadets (10) and Fifth : SCV (15).

Also, common sense should dictate that a corps such as Carolina Crown, which finished first, first and second, respectively, in Prelims, Semis and Finals should be accorded the edge over a corps, the Blue Devils, which finished fourth, second and first ( or if the 0.50 penalty is ignored, second, second and first ).

Hail Crown!

Now, onto A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the Fred Sanford Best Percussion Award in 2015.

I can't even imagine the outrage if DCI adopted your system in 2008.

• Like 9

Yeah I'm gonna say no. BD's finals performance was a considerable improvement over their previous two performances. They fought to make it happen. Your system would make it very difficult for anyone to ever make a well deserved leap in finals. Crown was awesome, and I loved their show! However, they weren't the best corps on Saturday. That's what matters.

• Like 9

I came into this thread to explain why this is a bad idea. Then I read your argument.

This is actually a much better way to organize what is now thought of as a three-day contest.

I'm actually going to relate it to Mario Kart (which I was playing last night, the 64 version). I'd taken 1st in three races, and was coming up on the fourth (Bowser's Castle, grr...). Anyways, doing some quick math, I knew that if I took first, I'd win gold for the whole cup (obviously), but if I took 2nd and Daisy took 1st I'd still win gold, and if I took 3rd or 4th and at least beat Daisy, I'd still take gold.

Applying your logic, this means that corps know they don't just have to be better than another corps on that night, but significantly better depending how they did the previous night. It would also even things out from "who was better that night" to "who was better overall". It would also make things like penalties have more impact. Because, let's be honest, BD's penalty didn't really mean anything at all in the long run, did it?

Out of curiosity, how would this model change previous years?

Can't agree with that. Win the show on Saturday night --> win the title. Period.

And I liked Crown much better than BD this year and was rooting for them to win as hard as anyone was.

Edited by cf144
  • Like 2

Can't agree with that. Win the show on Saturday night --> win the title. Period.

Well, those are the rules, and of course BD won fair and square by those rules this year (just as Phantom Regiment won fair and square by those rules in 2008), but . . .

What makes those rules better than what 1956OPR has proposed?

Likewise, what if the caption awards were changed to be based only on the Finals performance rather than three nights? Would that be better or worse than the current system, and why?

Just because it's always been done this way doesn't automatically make it superior to the alternatives.

Edited by N.E. Brigand