A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

Well, those are the rules, and of course BD won fair and square by those rules this year (just as Phantom Regiment won fair and square by those rules in 2008), but . . .

What makes those rules better than what 1956OPR has proposed?

Likewise, what if the caption awards were changed to be based only on the Finals performance rather than three nights? Would that be better or worse than the current system, and why?

Just because it's always been done this way doesn't automatically make it superior to the alternatives.

I do think that captions should be based on finals night only. The reason being that this is a competition, not a tournament or a series. The team that wins the game on Super Bowl Sunday gets the Lombardi.

Is this the best way? I think so, but WTF do I know? :satisfied:

• Like 5

I do think that captions should be based on finals night only. The reason being that this is a competition, not a tournament or a series. The team that wins the game on Super Bowl Sunday gets the Lombardi.

Is this the best way? I think so, but WTF do I know? :satisfied:

Totally agree.

• Like 1

While I believe the winner on Saturday is the champion and that is the way it should be, I will add that other sports use similar methods to determine their champion. Ice skating for example has two sessions that determine the champion, with the long session providing more weight to the overall score. Baseball and the NBA use an extended series to determine a champion, not one game. It is not a far fetched idea, but I would not support it.

• Like 1

Well, those are the rules, and of course BD won fair and square by those rules this year (just as Phantom Regiment won fair and square by those rules in 2008), but . . .

What makes those rules better than what 1956OPR has proposed?

Likewise, what if the caption awards were changed to be based only on the Finals performance rather than three nights? Would that be better or worse than the current system, and why?

Just because it's always been done this way doesn't automatically make it superior to the alternatives.

The word "Peak". Under the current system, the best corps peaks on Saturday night. That's what makes it better.

Now, if you changed finals week so that no scores are announced until Saturday night, and they represent all three judged performances, with the same judges...

• Like 1

While I believe the winner on Saturday is the champion and that is the way it should be, I will add that other sports use similar methods to determine their champion. Ice skating for example has two sessions that determine the champion, with the long session providing more weight to the overall score. Baseball and the NBA use an extended series to determine a champion, not one game. It is not a far fetched idea, but I would not support it.

That suggests an alternate proposal for DCI: total the three nights but weight them separately. For instance:

25% -- Prelims

30% -- Semis

45% -- Finals

I don't expect it will ever happen, but what would be wrong with that?

• Like 1

The word "Peak". Under the current system, the best corps peaks on Saturday night. That's what makes it better.

Does the best corps peak on Saturday night? Or do we merely say that the corps that peaks on Saturday night is the best?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just like sports championships - the champion is not necessarily the "best". The champion is the one who wins the last game/competition.

Were the NY Giants "better" than the undefeated NE Patriots team they beat to win the SB? I doubt that many people would think so, and I'd bet that if they were to play 10 times, the Pats would have won 9 of them.

Does the best corps peak on Saturday night? Or do we merely say that the corps that peaks on Saturday night is the best?

I'm not sure there's a distinction or a difference. Peaked, at the highest score. Saturday night.

There's no vagary, IMO.

I think the average for caption awards is stupid, so therefore applying it to the whole week is the same.

What if a corps is 13th in semis by .05, then the 12th place score at finals drops their average under 13th??

• Like 1

Just like sports championships - the champion is not necessarily the "best". The champion is the one who wins the last game/competition.

Were the NY Giants "better" than the undefeated NE Patriots team they beat to win the SB? I doubt that many people would think so, and I'd bet that if they were to play 10 times, the Pats would have won 9 of them.

Our activity is not like sports. Sports have definable scores for definable actions. Drum corps is a new set of subjective eyes awarding subjective points based on a sheet they designed. You can't compare the two, IMO. The "Best" in our activity is the highest score on Saturday night, and I'm really very fine with that.

• Like 1