A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

Our activity is not like sports. Sports have definable scores for definable actions. Drum corps is a new set of subjective eyes awarding subjective points based on a sheet they designed. You can't compare the two, IMO. The "Best" in our activity is the highest score on Saturday night, and I'm really very fine with that.

Very good point. But of course being subjective, "best" is a matter of opinion at least at some level so there will always be disagreements.

Our activity is not like sports. Sports have definable scores for definable actions. Drum corps is a new set of subjective eyes awarding subjective points based on a sheet they designed. You can't compare the two, IMO. The "Best" in our activity is the highest score on Saturday night, and I'm really very fine with that.

Wanna spread that word around?lol..That's all some have.

Drum corps is a new set of subjective eyes awarding subjective points based on a sheet they designed. The "Best" in our activity is the highest score on Saturday night, and I'm really very fine with that.

That being the case, isn't it more fair to provide triple the amount of eyes? An average of the three nights would do that.

After reading this proposal, I really do have to wonder, for the corps that are almost guaranteed to be in the Saturday show (which is at least 10 of the 12) what is the point of the Thursday and Friday shows?

That being the case, isn't it more fair to provide triple the amount of eyes? An average of the three nights would do that.

After reading this proposal, I really do have to wonder, for the corps that are almost guaranteed to be in the Saturday show (which is at least 10 of the 12) what is the point of the Thursday and Friday shows?

MONEY!....lol....ok 1/2 kidding

• Like 1

At least the OP is consistent with who DOESN'T win the contest or high percussion award.

Kudos. Really.

• Like 1

So you want to be able to say that, for example, BD's Friday night was better than Crown's Saturday night, so BD wins. (Insert random corps names)

Right?

Practice. Nerves. Big crowd. Nerves. Focus. Practice.

It's just two more shows setting the bar for corps below. While they look up.

nm.

Edited by cajal

What if a corps is 13th in semis by .05, then the 12th place score at finals drops their average under 13th??

Good point. The twelfth-place Finals corps often has a lower score than the thirteenth-place Semifinals corps.