A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

I think that caption awards should also be for Saturday night only, not just the overall winner. We don't average the whole season's results to get the caption award, so why should we for 3 days?

Whoever has the best show by the end of the season should win, period.

• Like 2

No less than the great Donald Angelica proposed this procedure in the early 80's.

His rationale was that due to the tightening of scores and subjectivity of the decisions, the true measure of excellence would have been cumulative over the qualifying and final events. More judge's options would be considered, higher statistical validity and reliability, and increased fan drama over the duration of Championships.

Related variables were things like only announcing the rankings each night (no scores to public), juxtaposing the performance order in different ways, etc..

• Like 2

DCI is certainly a little schizophrenic about scoring in Indy. Captions are averaged but championships are one night only.

Strangely enough I'm ok with it. Reward consistency in the caption awards. Reward the show of the evening at finals.

We just need to make sure the finals panel is actually qualified to judge their caption :ninja:

No less than the great Donald Angelica proposed this procedure in the early 80's.

His rationale was that due to the tightening of scores and subjectivity of the decisions, the true measure of excellence would have been cumulative over the qualifying and final events. More judge's options would be considered, higher statistical validity and reliability, and increased fan drama over the duration of Championships.

Related variables were things like only announcing the rankings each night (no scores to public), juxtaposing the performance order in different ways, etc..

• Like 1

Caption awards are awarded to the section of the corps that is the most consistent, thereby making them the best skill and bookwise.

The Founder's Trophy is awarded to the corps that puts out the best performance on the night where it matters the most, since that's whats important as an overall corps.

At least, that's how I've always rationalized it.

• Like 1

Our activity is not like sports. Sports have definable scores for definable actions. Drum corps is a new set of subjective eyes awarding subjective points based on a sheet they designed. You can't compare the two, IMO. The "Best" in our activity is the highest score on Saturday night, and I'm really very fine with that.

Some sports are judged. Figure skating, some X-game sports, etc.

A Modest Proposal, Part 3: Bluecoats Win 2015

1) All corps that have previously won a DCI championship will incur a .25 deduction for every year they have won a title...

Blue Devils score is 93.650

Crown score is 96.815

Bluecoats score is 96.925

BLUECOATS WIN 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

...Whoever has the best show by the end of the season should win, period.

And therein lies the dilemma. Do we reward the best show by the end of the season or the best show of the season? (I'm not advocating in favor of averaging myself, just posing the question.)

Good point. The twelfth-place Finals corps often has a lower score than the thirteenth-place Semifinals corps.

Yup. Fewer corps means more numbers to work with

And therein lies the dilemma. Do we reward the best show by the end of the season or the best show of the season? (I'm not advocating in favor of averaging myself, just posing the question.)

The job of the judges is to judge their sheet and the show of the day and let the tabulator sort it out.

Captions should be the same way