A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the 2015 Fred Sanford Award

My thesis is that, for purposes of calculating DCI's caption awards, any penalty assessed against a corps should be assessed against the caption total associated with the penalty.

In 2015, the Blue Devils were assessed ( according to certain posters on DCP's Blue Devils 2015 "Ink" site - see pages 80-1, posts 793, 794 and 804) a 0.50 penalty for using a Dr. Beat (a loud metronome) during a Prelims warmup.

On the Prelims Recap, the 0.50 penalty is noted in the Penalties column as an offset to the Blue Devils' Sub-Total of 95.850, a seemingly benign "what was that for?" impact.

My argument is that, for purposes of determining Caption Award winners, the 0.50 penalty should be specifically assessed against the Blue Devils' Music Percussion score. Since there were 2 percussion judges, just take 0.50 off of the original averaged percussion score of 19.30, thus resulting in a revised Music Percussion score of 18.80 in Prelims.

Utilizing this 18.80 in the averaging formula used by DCI to determine Caption award results, the top 5 percussion ensembles of DCI in 2015 were 1. The Cadets 19.45,

2. Bluecoats 19.35, 3. SCV 19.33, 4. Blue Devils 19.32 and 5. Carolina Crown 18.85

Hail The Cadets!

Your thought experiments are fun, Mr. Swift.

• Like 1

Don't you get drug tested where you work? :cool:

• Like 4

I gotta admit, as I was reading this, I began to chuckle. This is no honk, this is a thinking agitator. I like those.

I think this idea is brilliant, and I'm impressed that your mind is creative enough to have thought it through.

I vote absolutely, if the drum staff member turned on the met, and it was that caption that got caught doing it, it should be that caption that takes the hit.

Brilliant. I presume using the met to warm up the whole corps would be assessed as it is now.

And what if the rifles are tossing to the same tempo the drummers are using, then how is the penalty assessed?

Edited by garfield

I'll disagree. As penalties can be assessed for many things that may not be caption specific (late to the gate, residue, etc) it should be subtracted from the sub total as it currently is in all cases

I'll disagree. As penalties can be assessed for many things that may not be caption specific (late to the gate, residue, etc) it should be subtracted from the sub total as it currently is in all cases

Hey - let's keep this G rated. :tounge2:

If the whole corps is late, agree. But what if, as we saw this season, the guard is the only caption that's late? Shouldn't the penalty go against the guard score?

I have to admit I'm mostly stirring the pot in this thread.

So, I was thinking about the battery tech (or whoever) who turned on the met, and I wonder about this phrase:

"Don't punish the child for the sins of the father."

Hmmm...

Question: How, actually, is this "No Met" policy enforced in the warm-up area? Is there a roving DCI judge with a clipboard? Does he observe and assess without interaction with the corps so as to not affect the upcoming performance?

If a judge has to assess the captions using the met at that moment, it could get messy. And, for the same reason as above, he absolutely should not interact with the corps or give them any indication that might deflate their enthusiasm for their performance. Hate to kill their chance before they even play.

I guess I'd like to know how you see the adjudication of a caption-specific penalty before I adopt the policy with more enthusiasm.

nm.

Edited by cajal

So, I was thinking about the battery tech (or whoever) who turned on the met, and I wonder about this phrase:

"Don't punish the child for the sins of the father."

Hmmm...

Question: How, actually, is this "No Met" policy enforced in the warm-up area? Is there a roving DCI judge with a clipboard? Does he observe and assess without interaction with the corps so as to not affect the upcoming performance?

If a judge has to assess the captions using the met at that moment, it could get messy. And, for the same reason as above, he absolutely should not interact with the corps or give them any indication that might deflate their enthusiasm for their performance. Hate to kill their chance before they even play.

I guess I'd like to know how you see the adjudication of a caption-specific penalty before I adopt the policy with more enthusiasm.

DCI has staff in the area to monitor