Some new things to watch online

I don't feel bad about linking these as they are put up by corps and companies to be watched on YouTube and aren't rips of the DCI broadcasts of semis and finals performances.

Blue Devils Finals Encore Performance (multi-cam)

The Cadets Finals Week Multi-cam Full Show - Percussion Focus: Part #1 (Vic Firth Percussion)

Part #2

Part #3

Carolina Crown Finals Week Multi-cam Full Show - Percussion Focus: Part #1 (Vic Firth Percussion)

Part #2

My apologies if these were already posted somewhere else on the forum or if these are old news. I'm sure someone will see this that hasn't yet watched them and would like to.

• Like 5

I don't feel bad about linking these as they are put up by corps and companies to be watched on YouTube and aren't rips of the DCI broadcasts of semis and finals performances.

Blue Devils Finals Encore Performance (multi-cam)

The Cadets Finals Week Multi-cam Full Show - Percussion Focus: Part #1 (Vic Firth Percussion)

Part #2

Part #3

Carolina Crown Finals Week Multi-cam Full Show - Percussion Focus: Part #1 (Vic Firth Percussion)

Part #2

My apologies if these were already posted somewhere else on the forum or if these are old news. I'm sure someone will see this that hasn't yet watched them and would like to.

The Vic videos are excellent. Just watched those last night. Good stuff.

Given that we have no fan network, this is great. I am just now coming down from the high of the 2015 season and realizing it will be months and months and months until things get stirred up again. This helps.

Fingers still crossed for fan network.

Thanks! This raises an interesting inconsistency. If the problem with Fan Network has been copyright issues, then these should be just as impermissible as a recording of a full show in uniform. After all, from the owner of the original copyright's perspective, the music is being used whatever the corps is wearing. This suggests that the real issue hasn't been the copyright concerns of the composers, but of DCI itself. From their perspective there certainly is a difference between an official show in competition and a recording of a rehearsal. (Except perhaps for the Cadets, given their uniform issues -- sorry, I couldn't resist.) If DCI has eliminated the Fan Network archives just so they can sell more DVDs, I would be very upset. Or to be more precise, instead of being angry at the pig-headed copyright lawyers at the music publishers, I would be able to target my frustration at the management in Indianapolis.

Thanks! This raises an interesting inconsistency. If the problem with Fan Network has been copyright issues, then these should be just as impermissible as a recording of a full show in uniform. After all, from the owner of the original copyright's perspective, the music is being used whatever the corps is wearing. This suggests that the real issue hasn't been the copyright concerns of the composers, but of DCI itself. From their perspective there certainly is a difference between an official show in competition and a recording of a rehearsal. (Except perhaps for the Cadets, given their uniform issues -- sorry, I couldn't resist.) If DCI has eliminated the Fan Network archives just so they can sell more DVDs, I would be very upset. Or to be more precise, instead of being angry at the pig-headed copyright lawyers at the music publishers, I would be able to target my frustration at the management in Indianapolis.

Everything below this sentence is dependent upon it, but here are alternate explanations that might render it not valid:

What if YouTube simply hasn't taken them down and will, and/or

Vic Firth has paid for the rights under their banner and are running them legally, and/or

DCI now has permission to replay but doesn't have the infrastructure with Neulion to accomplish it (yet, maybe)

I have no clue but I don't think yours is the only realistic example of what it may mean that Vic Firth's are running and DCI's are not.

Maybe copyright owner's interest has to do with those who make money from the videos.

or does Vic Firth (r.i.p.) have arrangement with original artists/composers/performers who use Vic Firth sticks and materials that VF can broadcast that use as instructional examples?

Edited by xandandl

The following is my belief, but I could be wrong:

DCI only has standing over their own content. Lot tapes and even performances by corps outside of DCI contests wouldn't fall under DCI's legal ownership.

I would think DCI has contracts with each corps granting DCI complete copyright ownership over content produced at "DCI contests" or some such language, and that's what they are enforcing by shutting down unauthorized uploads. The fact that the encore performance was uploaded by BD themselves (or someone claiming to be BD) suggests that this does not apply to the encore, perhaps because it seems to have been recorded by BD's own people (note that the high camera isn't very high and is therefor used sparsely). It may well be a grey area that BD hopes DCI won't fight for, or it may been have specifically (verbally or expressly) agreed to beforehand. I dunno.

But each corps owns anything they create outside of DCI contests and can do with it (and enforce it themselves - or partner with Vic Firth) as they wish AFAIK.

Edit: Although of course to publish it online they would need their own synch rights, which they may or may not have bothered to do. Maybe copyright holders tend not to sue over practices and such. I wouldn't be surprised if BD just went an bought the rights for the encore alone. That's an interesting question.

Edited by Pete Freedman