Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

I love Bloo, but should we take bets on whether they will allow any girls in the percussion section for 2016? No girls in 2014 or 2015.

Yea, that was an idiotic comment. Gender has nothing to do with their selection process.

Yea, that was an idiotic comment. Gender has nothing to do with their selection process.

How do you know? Most top 12 corps have femails in their front ensemble. It would seem the ladies aren't auditioning at Bloo. Do you really think there aren't any women talented enough to be in their front ensemble? I can see no women in the battery since not many audition, and most of the other top 12 corps do not have any female battery performers.

Look at the top WGI percussion ensembles. They all have female members.

How do you know? Most top 12 corps have femails in their front ensemble. It would seem the ladies aren't auditioning at Bloo. Do you really think there aren't any women talented enough to be in their front ensemble? I can see no women in the battery since not many audition, and most of the other top 12 corps do not have any female battery performers.

Look at the top WGI percussion ensembles. They all have female members.

Great example. So here are the Bluecoats front ensemble staff from 2015 and their current (or last year at least) WGI World Independent ensembles.

Brad Palmer - Gateway
Ryan Kilgore - RX
Erik Kosman - Atlanta Quest

Craig Loeffler - Music City Mystique

All with females in the front. Seems they are cool with female talent. Are they just sexist guys in the spring/summer?

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

I almost don't want to audition because I don't want to waste their time :'D

You aren't wasting their time. Go. Even if you don't make the cut you will get invaluable instruction on what you need to work on to improve enough to make it next time.

The first time I went to Crossmen camp in the fall/winter of 1982/3 it was pretty obvious to me right off the bat that I didn't have a shot to make the tenor line. I went to the first 2 or 3 camps anyway because: 1) I got to march in the Gimbles Thanksgiving Parade in Philly as a Crossmen where we played a couple holiday tunes and the ending of Russian Christmas from the '82 show; 2) I got to be around and part of one of the Corps I had worshiped for several years watching them on PBS every year and seeing them in person in Montreal; 3) I got great instruction from the staff and one of the vets in the tenor line. The vet in particular took time to show me what I needed to work on to make it in the future.

I spent the next 2 years working on everything I had been shown while marching in PAL. After the '84 season I thought I was ready and auditioned again for '85 and made the line. If I hadn't gone to those camps in late '82 -- and then stayed for awhile after it was obvious I had no prayer -- I probably never would have improved in the areas I needed to to make the line in '85.

Edited by cf144
  • Like 5

Great example. So here are the Bluecoats front ensemble staff from 2015 and their current (or last year at least) WGI World Independent ensembles.

Brad Palmer - Gateway
Ryan Kilgore - RX
Erik Kosman - Atlanta Quest

Craig Loeffler - Music City Mystique

All with females in the front. Seems they are cool with female talent. Are they just sexist guys in the spring/summer?

Why aren't they bringing any of their talented female WGI performers to Bloo?

I never said they were sexist. Just pointing out that two years in a row with no females in percussion seems odd to me. Feel free to provide other explanations.

Edited by kmkord

Why aren't they bringing any of their talented female WGI performers to Bloo?

They either aged out, want to go somewhere else, couldn't march/chose not march, or there was more talent at Bluecoats auditions.

I never say they were sexist. Just pointing out that two years in a row with no females in percussion seems odd to me. Feel free to provide other explanations.

But you did imply it. You said it without saying it. This is why I asked you to clarify. You do nobody any favors by dancing around the subject, coyly dropping suggestions and then backing off your statement by claiming "I never said they were sexist." You implied that females were not "allowed" in 2014 and 2015.
See my other explanations above, Plenty of them off the top of my head.
  • Like 2

I don't really pay much attention to the DM but could someone fill me in on Willie? How many years did he March Coats and how many years as DM?