Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

I have to wonder... What's the point of waiting this long to announce the show?

The season kicks off less than a month. No other corps is gonna' rip off any of your ideas at this point. I get wanting to build up hype, but... it's a drum corps show.

I love Bloo and what they've done over the past few years, but waiting this long just seems a bit self-important to me.

But this way it can be all hipster and emo.

• Like 1

But this way it can be all hipster and emo.

Those words have a fairly broad usage and varied intent. Help me understand.

Hipster = pretentious?

Emo = sensitive and angst?

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

I have to wonder... What's the point of waiting this long to announce the show?

The season kicks off less than a month. No other corps is gonna' rip off any of your ideas at this point. I get wanting to build up hype, but... it's a drum corps show.

I love Bloo and what they've done over the past few years, but waiting this long just seems a bit self-important to me.

I don't think it is so much an issue of being self-important as much as the staff wants the maximum impact that is achieved by unveiling their product at the beginning of the season and not sooner. It is just a difference in philosophy, as frustrating as that may be to those of us who have to wait.

I don't think it is so much an issue of being self-important as much as the staff wants the maximum impact that is achieved by unveiling their product at the beginning of the season and not sooner. It is just a difference in philosophy, as frustrating as that may be to those of us who have to wait.

I knew after hearing Dean Westman introducing the Bluecoats show last season during the drum corps premier at the movies in June that in 2016 they would be one of the last corps to announce their show. I have no problem at all with them doing what ever they want. Here's the thing though, by keeping everything secret it can just as easily fall flat as it could be a big hit.

Another thing regarding corps keep show concepts/themes and things secret....how many people outside the members and staff/administration know the show that is planned? Alums, volunteers, and everyone they have decided to queue in as well....so to say its secret and everyone is seeing/hearing something for the fist time is def. not true.

I don't support corps keeping things ultra-quiet. There is absolutely no evidence it hurts corps. Two obvious cases, Cadets for years have been releasing tons of show material in the off season (even full music run thrus) and they have remained just an enticing (and won a title recently). Also SCV 2004 was IMO the crowds favorite on finals night and they released a ton of show material in the 2003 - 2004 off season....

just some thoughts/opinions... :)

Edited by Triple Forte

I knew after hearing Dean Westman introducing the Bluecoats show last season during the drum corps premier at the movies in June that in 2016 they would be one of the last corps to announce their show. I have no problem at all with them doing what ever they want. Here's the thing though, by keeping everything secret it can just as easily fall flat as it could be a big hit.

Another thing regarding corps keep show concepts/themes and things secret....how many people outside the members and staff/administration know the show that is planned? Alums, volunteers, and everyone they have decided to queue in as well....so to say its secret and everyone is seeing/hearing something for the fist time is def. not true.

I don't support corps keeping things ultra-quiet. There is absolutely no evidence it hurts corps. Two obvious cases, Cadets for years have been releasing tons of show material in the off season (even full music run thrus) and they have remained just an enticing (and won a title recently). Also SCV 2004 was IMO the crowds favorite on finals night and they released a ton of show material in the 2003 - 2004 off season....

Okay but other than us crazy DCPers, does anyone REALLY care whether the Bluecoats announce now or on June 23rd? No.

We live in the distortion field of DCP and it's important to realize that we're only a very proportion of the fans who follow DCI

• Like 2

Have seen them rehearse. Cool show ? Yes. Obscure music ? Not really. Cool book ? Yes. Top 4? Likely-but depends on what the others bring. And, I have no idea what the title is but it goes to show you that you can enjoy something where the meaning is not apparent.

They do have a sop with some killer chops though!!!!

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 2

I have no problem at all with them doing what ever they want. Here's the thing though, by keeping everything secret it can just as easily fall flat as it could be a big hit.

Yeah, that's my thought. If they're going that way, it better be pretty substantial what they have waiting for us, or it'll feel like they kinda cheated us out of an amazing surprise.

I'm a huge fan of theirs, but this has me wondering what the hell we are in store for. If it IS amazing and shocking, I think it'll be worth it. If not, what I said above.

Fair enough. Still, keeping the show quiet is the choice the staff has made, and even if I wish it had been proclaimed to the four winds, it is still their choice to keep it quiet and the members respect that choice, so who am I to question it? I was at the ensemble rehearsal again tonight, and was blown away ... Let me rephrase that ... I was BLOWN AWAY! They have made so much more progress in the past two days than I would have thought possible. Yes, everything I saw was Memorial Day clean, but then again, it is Memorial Day, and after a gazillion years of seeing drum corps at the end of May, I know what to expect by Memorial Day. (Full disclosure: my wife considers me a glass half empty kind of guy, but I think of myself as a realist, not a honk ... then again, I bet most honks consider themselves realists too, but I digress.) Relative to last year, they are on track. And even though I watched the rehearsal, I still have no clue what the overarching concept is. But please remember, I have only seen the opening minutes of the program, and only heard the ballad in the warmup. I am very intrigued, more than a little excited, and I can't wait to see how it all fits.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Here's the thing though, by keeping everything secret it can just as easily fall flat as it could be a big hit.

Just to comment on this specific point, you're right. No guts, no glory, yeah?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer