Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

One thing that lots of people like to complain about is not having a "whistleable" show... Well I've been whistling the Bluecoats show for two days now! This show is not "sterile" like last year's by ANY means.

• Like 1

One thing that lots of people like to complain about is not having a "whistleable" show... Well I've been whistling the Bluecoats show for two days now! This show is not "sterile" like last year's by ANY means.

I love it! They kept going in the same direction but their shows are really completely different each year once you really watch them multiple times. This staff has definitely helped move Bloo into a constant threat for a medal!

• Like 2

Finally got a good video to read this show.

O LAWD JESUS!

Really doe, every caption seems super hot. Also, this corps moves really well--not just marching but all movement. Way ahead of some other teams.

If they can find ways to continually improve they will have a great shot at a gold medal this year. My only fear is that they peak too early.

If they can find ways to continually improve they will have a great shot at a gold medal this year. My only fear is that they peak too early.

I'm not sure if they will peak. Too much to clean. Bluecoats are way more dirty than Crown or BD. But they have a more fleshed out show as of now. Their GE is incredible and should carry them as brass and percussion clean (and they are already amazing), and as the guard cleans.

The concern that most people will have is that BLOOO's design team will stay the course and somehow the show will stall, get old, and others will blow by them. I get that because it comes up almost every year with a different corps.

At this juncture I see only 2 corps that can pass Bluecoats (BD and Crown) and we will not have the answers to that until later in the season.

Even though BLOOO has a really great base for a design to start the season does not mean they will shy away from making changes. They are in a nice position however. They can make small changes and tweaks while they clean as they assess how the judges continue to read their show, how their performers continue to master it, and who comes closest to putting some competitive pressure on them. That's a good position to be in. The Blue Devils have been masters at that, and in most cases they have finished strong.

Another thing to consider is this: in addition to the amazing general effect that BLOOO is demonstrating, they have a top 3-caliber brass line, and a percussion section that I think could win the Sanford, certainly top 3. They will have to work hard to hang with Carolina and BD in visual ex and guard. Those two corps have perhaps the 2 best guards (in recent years) and their marching is spit-spot clean come august (although Crown did not march a good show last august, and that cost them). But if Bluecoats hang in the visual caption, GE will take care of itself, and their performance captions should score well.

My way-to-early read on things is that it will be incredibly difficult for BD or Crown to pass Bluecoats come August. It may happen at various points of the regular season, but once all corps are clean I just like this vehicle the best.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if they will peak. Too much to clean. Bluecoats are way more dirty than Crown or BD. But they have a more fleshed out show as of now. Their GE is incredible and should carry them as brass and percussion clean (and they are already amazing), and as the guard cleans.

The concern that most people will have is that BLOOO's design team will stay the course and somehow the show will stall, get old, and others will blow by them. I get that because it comes up almost every year with a different corps.

At this juncture I see only 2 corps that can pass Bluecoats (BD and Crown) and we will not have the answers to that until later in the season.

Even though BLOOO has a really great base for a design to start the season does not mean they will shy away from making changes. They are in a nice position however. They can make small changes and tweaks while they clean as they assess how the judges continue to read their show, how their performers continue to master it, and who comes closest to putting some competitive pressure on them. That's a good position to be in. The Blue Devils have been masters at that, and in most cases they have finished strong.

Another thing to consider is this: in addition to the amazing general effect that BLOOO is demonstrating, they have a top 3-caliber brass line, and a percussion section that I think could win the Sanford, certainly top 3. They will have to work hard to hang with Carolina and BD in visual ex and guard. Those two corps have perhaps the 2 best guards (in recent years) and their marching is spit-spot clean come august (although Crown did not march a good show last august, and that cost them). But if Bluecoats hang in the visual caption, GE will take care of itself, and their performance captions should score well.

My way-to-early read on things is that it will be incredibly difficult for BD or Crown to pass Bluecoats come August. It may happen at various points of the regular season, but once all corps are clean I just like this vehicle the best.

I think it's a little too early to count SCV and Cadets out, but I agree that right now BD and Crown are probably the biggest threats to Bloo at the current moment

• Like 1

Maybe someone addressed this already but was there an indoor guard or drum show with slides or did Bluecoats come up with the slides by themselves? Regardless, what a great & creative idea!!!

I think it's a little too early to count SCV and Cadets out, but I agree that right now BD and Crown are probably the biggest threats to Bloo at the current moment

Gotta say, and I know this flies in the face of history, I am not at all interested in BD this year. Their show, as it is right now, seems very canned. And I loved Feliniesque, and I loved Ink (except the K-pop interlude). They'll add, they'll polish, they'll march like bandits, and they'll play the heck out of the charts, but I don't how how I'd reward their show design knowing their previous two shows.

This is a bad year to be predictable, and BD feels so predictable.

SCV's show, to me, looks and feels like a medalist. It's a show I want to see again. I want to feel those feelings and see how they get you to move along with them. Especially in light of the flash-bang of Coats and Crown, SCV shows incredible creativity, risk and artistry.

It would be shocking to see BD not medal, but I don't see them beating either Coats or Crown. Just don't see it. Those two shows are just as strong technically, and are far more creative. The battle for Bronze is what is going to be really hot, with BD, Cadets and SCV all right there come Indy.

Gotta say, and I know this flies in the face of history, I am not at all interested in BD this year. Their show, as it is right now, seems very canned. And I loved Feliniesque, and I loved Ink (except the K-pop interlude). They'll add, they'll polish, they'll march like bandits, and they'll play the heck out of the charts, but I don't how how I'd reward their show design knowing their previous two shows.

This is a bad year to be predictable, and BD feels so predictable.

SCV's show, to me, looks and feels like a medalist. It's a show I want to see again. I want to feel those feelings and see how they get you to move along with them. Especially in light of the flash-bang of Coats and Crown, SCV shows incredible creativity, risk and artistry.

It would be shocking to see BD not medal, but I don't see them beating either Coats or Crown. Just don't see it. Those two shows are just as strong technically, and are far more creative. The battle for Bronze is what is going to be really hot, with BD, Cadets and SCV all right there come Indy.

I'll agree with you if you can show me where in the judging sheets it shows that the judges reward "creativity, risk, and artistry" over a show following a similar formula to the two years prior. Show me where in the sheets it says that corps aren't rewarded as much for being "predictable"

I think you're allowing your feelings towards a show cloud your judgment. Trust me, I love SCV's show more than anyone else's this year, heck I think I might even like Bloo's show more than BD's at its current state, but I just can't see BD finishing below 2nd this year with that monster of a show they have.

But of course this is all speculation until August. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong :smile:

Edited by Cappybara