Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

30 years ago, Larry Hershman was telling my dad about how he signed on with the Bluecoats. My dad said "who?"

Sometime in the winter of 86 that first bus left Cumberland Valley HS headed to Ohio. kids like Jeff Wilt and Jeff longenecker got on that bus. Little did they know they would be starting in motion the rise of what led to tonight.

in 99, the corps missed finals for the first time since 87. Larry grabbed the phone again....and friends andpeople who taught melike Rich templin, Dan Delong, Jim Weaver, Beth Hoffman, Andy Hostettler went along. Kids I taught like Ian Kraynak, Jared Washburn, Bill George, Bree Howell went along...boom back into finals, and working up the ladder with great shows in 01 and 02...slowly a local guy named tom Rarick got involved too.He's done ok LOL.

The Harrisburg area has tons of ties to team Bloo, and those of us here are all happy as hell for you. Congrats!

Jeff, one of the AWESOME things that has happened in recent years with the Bluecoats is the bond that has developed between the current corps and its past members, staff and volunteers.

The 2016 kids have been told and know of people like Larry and Ted Swaldo and many others. It really has become a family...and the celebration has just begun!

• Like 4

i have to say that over the last several years i've gone to DCI shows and appreciated them, but i felt like i was seeing a lot of variations on a theme...same ol' same ol'. i guess that's what happens after you've seen 27 years of drum corps.

this is the first show in a long time that i was actually excited to see. it was a breath of fresh air and so #### good.

phenomenal show, Bloo! mad props to Thrower and his command of jazz harmonics.

CONGRATULATIONS BLUECOATS!!! You were my hands down favorite show all summer! Saw you in the theater in June for the kick-off and said.....just hand them the gold now! Thanks for an incredible summer!

30 years ago, Larry Hershman was telling my dad about how he signed on with the Bluecoats. My dad said "who?"

Sometime in the winter of 86 that first bus left Cumberland Valley HS headed to Ohio. kids like Jeff Wilt and Jeff longenecker got on that bus. Little did they know they would be starting in motion the rise of what led to tonight.

in 99, the corps missed finals for the first time since 87. Larry grabbed the phone again....and friends andpeople who taught melike Rich templin, Dan Delong, Jim Weaver, Beth Hoffman, Andy Hostettler went along. Kids I taught like Ian Kraynak, Jared Washburn, Bill George, Bree Howell went along...boom back into finals, and working up the ladder with great shows in 01 and 02...slowly a local guy named tom Rarick got involved too.He's done ok LOL.

The Harrisburg area has tons of ties to team Bloo, and those of us here are all happy as hell for you. Congrats!

This is so good and true. During my years on the board I had a chance to meet Larry Hershman. What a fantastic and knowledgeable person! I knew of the connection between Bluecoats and Pennsylvania way back in the mid-to-late 1980s.

It's been amazing to watch the journey Bloo has taken. When I first saw them they were a Division II corps (1979). Even then they were excellent, but finances were up and down. The corps could have died in the mid 1980s if it were not for Ted Swaldo infusing new life into the group. His vision and smart leadership were key. He sought out a top-flight instructor/designer/coordinator and he got Larry Hershman, one of the most respected in the activity - ever. That move set the Bluecoats on a new path to success and helped them break into DCI Finals in 1987.

David Glasgow came aboard in 2003 (somewhere in that time frame) and he has continued to make smart moves regarding instruction, design, and funding. The corps is in great hands and today they find themselves DCI WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

Congratulations to everyone in the Bluecoats organization! From Dave and Genevieve (who keep the whole thing running from day to day, year to year), to the designers, instructors, staff, volunteers, and most certainly the magnificent performers, I applaud everyone.

The Bluecoats - 2016 Drum Corps International World Champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I had better see some signs around the highways and roads here in Canton and North Canton acknowledging this. :cool:

• Like 4

Congrats to the 2016 champion Bluecoats! I remember seeing the 'Coats as a non-finalist in the 80s and it has been wonderful watching them rise through the ranks. As a corps that has always played jazz (which is why I've always liked them), you have always been entertaining through the years - and now you have a big trophy to go along with all of the fan approbation :thumbup:

Fantastic job!