Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

When I marched (81-83), the 3 top corps out of Ohio were the Bluecoats, Glassmen and Pride of Cincinnati which premiered in 81. The competition between the 3 groups was tight and at the 1981 DCI prelims in Montreal, Pride edged out Bluecoats by .5 (Glassmen were another 6 points back) to win the battle of Ohio Corps for that year. 35 years later, while Glassmen have folded (hoping they return!), Pride of Cincinnati (folded from DCI in 85) is the reigning WGI champions and Bluecoats are now the reigning DCI champs! Congratulations Bloo for surviving then thriving in DCI and for bringing the Founders Trophy to Ohio!

• Like 2

30 years ago, Larry Hershman was telling my dad about how he signed on with the Bluecoats. My dad said "who?"

Sometime in the winter of 86 that first bus left Cumberland Valley HS headed to Ohio. kids like Jeff Wilt and Jeff longenecker got on that bus. Little did they know they would be starting in motion the rise of what led to tonight.

in 99, the corps missed finals for the first time since 87. Larry grabbed the phone again....and friends andpeople who taught melike Rich templin, Dan Delong, Jim Weaver, Beth Hoffman, Andy Hostettler went along. Kids I taught like Ian Kraynak, Jared Washburn, Bill George, Bree Howell went along...boom back into finals, and working up the ladder with great shows in 01 and 02...slowly a local guy named tom Rarick got involved too.He's done ok LOL.

The Harrisburg area has tons of ties to team Bloo, and those of us here are all happy as hell for you. Congrats!

No disservice to ANY of these fine folks, as I was personally in a room one-on-one with Larry Hershman when signing my contract and was soon there-after told by Ted Swaldo to cut my hair. The importance of the crew that lead the triumphant return from a folded corps in 1984 cannot be overstated.

But as an alumni, I want to thank people like Ralph W. McCauley, Arthur J. Drukenbrod, Tom Jakmides that truly started it all. And especially all of the alumni that were there to keep this corps pumping through 70's and early 80's. That, my friends, is perseverance. Had there been no "Art's corps" there wouldn't have been anything for Ted to salvage. As there wouldn't have been a Bluecoats for Scott Swaldo to have joined which lit Ted's flame.
#sixwords

360-degree (!) snare cam from the victory run. Really, really cool use of the technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XD5m7Jf0wI

That was so cool!