Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

(For those non-drummers who get lost, watch the set-player's left hand; he's playing the off-beats on 2 & 4)

Too bad the two young ladies couldn't at least stick around long enough to watch those off-beats.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

(For those non-drummers who get lost, watch the set-player's left hand; he's playing the off-beats on 2 & 4)

It's OK garfield, you can say for Jurassic Lancer's benefit.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Bass guy at the end doing the bass drummer's equivalent of a bat flip :colgate:

Looking aggressive and focused brothers... keep it up.

Edited by cfirwin3

Looking aggressive and focused brothers... keep it up.

This season is going to be a dog fight; one of those season where more than two corps could win it all on any given night. I just feel it in my bones!

• Like 1

I was at ensemble rehearsal again last night. A week ago, I mentioned that they had about seven minutes on the field; the first four minutes were fleshed out but the next three were pretty much a skeleton. This week, those three minutes, the ballad (Great Big Gig in the Sky) has been fleshed out nicely, the first four minutes of the show that had already been fleshed out now has clothes on top of the flesh (following the same metaphor) and they are working on the closer. In it, they were working on getting the brass and battery set before adding guard work to it. It is kind of funny (to me at least) that they were using the sabers like the old "stick" girls of 1970's First Federal Blue Stars to help with the sets (old timers should know what I mean).

Something that I find interesting is the methodology that the staff is using to put the show together. It is much more staging oriented than even last year's show, and so a lot of experimentation goes on. The visual staff will try out various looks for various segments of the show, play with them, and ultimately settle on what fits best. They are also experimenting with sampling, but again, I would say the sampling is more complementary to the ensemble, not over powering, at least so far. Your opinion, of course may be different.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

I was at ensemble rehearsal again last night. A week ago, I mentioned that they had about seven minutes on the field; the first four minutes were fleshed out but the next three were pretty much a skeleton. This week, those three minutes, the ballad (Big Gig in the Sky) has been fleshed out nicely, the first four minutes of the show that had already been fleshed out now has clothes on top of the flesh (following the same metaphor) and they are working on the closer. In it, they were working on getting the brass and battery set before adding guard work to it. It is kind of funny (to me at least) that they were using the sabers like the old "stick" girls of 1970's First Federal Blue Stars to help with the sets (old timers should know what I mean).

Something that I find interesting is the methodology that the staff is using to put the show together. It is much more staging oriented than even last year's show, and so a lot of experimentation goes on. The visual staff will try out various looks for various segments of the show, play with them, and ultimately settle on what fits best. They are also experimenting with sampling, but again, I would say the sampling is more complementary to the ensemble, not over powering, at least so far. Your opinion, of course may be different.

Great Gig in the Sky.

Alright, time for the _Kid to add some commentary. First, you beat me to it Garfield, my original intention was to semi-shamelessly promote my own video in this thread. Maybe that's why it just crosses 2k views.

I've been a fan of "the corps from Canton" since '08, when The Boxer became a thing. Admittedly, what drew me in originally was the part of that show with the drumset backbeat, but as I - and my musical tastes and styles - evolved and matured, I learned to appreciate the hornline for the massive sound they produce. But for me, there has been too much hype for the corps, and the battery specifically, since about 2012. (I may regret saying that, but whatevs)

Tilt was, well, it. It's hard for me to imagine a Bluecoats show that will top 2014's in pure excitement, brass achievement, and innovation. But that last word - innovation - is the tricky one in this case. They seem to be taking it a little too literally, and implementing more and more electronics every year. It worked for them with Tilt; partly because of the pitch bend, but mostly because the electronics were used in a tasteful and goldilocks-like manner, i.e. not much. Just right.

Ask the _Dad: I didn't really like Kinetic Noise back in August. Something about it just didn't click for me (I did, however, really enjoy hearing the ballad - low brass has always been a treat). But I dig it more and more every time I listen to it. It comes nowhere close to Tilt, but it's still a great show. For those playing along, I'm convinced the reason it didn't immediately suck me in is because of the increased use of electronics. I prefer actual horns and drums.

That said, I thought in Granville the other night that they're back to a tasteful use of the speakers and such. It complimented the music well, without becoming too intrusive. Nicely done, Coats. I'm interested to see how you do this season.

And yes, I was giddy. But what can I say, live drum corps always gets me going, no matter who's playing.

• Like 1