Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

In this day and age, where recording video or sound can be down by anyone with a smart phone, it is crazy to think that you can keep things secret for any length of time. The only way to do this is to keep your full run through private with only those personnel you deem necessary and take away all recording devices. Otherwise you have NO expectation of privacy.

I went and watched Cadets rehearse in 2009 at my college campus and pretty much was bullied to leave. We took videos of little chunks like a battery feature and when it came tin for a run the staff swarmed up and kept saying things. They surrounded us so we could barely even see and we just left after waiting hours to watch it. So I mean the staff could do that.

I went and watched Cadets rehearse in 2009 at my college campus and pretty much was bullied to leave. We took videos of little chunks like a battery feature and when it came tin for a run the staff swarmed up and kept saying things. They surrounded us so we could barely even see and we just left after waiting hours to watch it. So I mean the staff could do that.

Very unusual for Cadets as their rehearsals are always open as far as I've ever experienced

Exactly. It's a little hard to believe that staff or ANY staff would do that.

zero reason not to believe BlueStainGlass - it's just unusual. There are corps out there which run closed rehearsals, especially going into finals. Cadets are typically open all the way until finals

zero reason not to believe BlueStainGlass - it's just unusual. There are corps out there which run closed rehearsals, especially going into finals. Cadets are typically open all the way until finals

It was early season Toledo. I miss that show because it always had the big groups and was close.
  • Like 1

I do know this has happened and my knowledge is based on two facets:

I have been an eyewitness to this at Cadets' practices and

at one time during GH's tenure, I was one of the minor staffers tasked with the "lookout" job to observe, assess, and act in asking certain persons to stop taping or to leave. This was before the current cellphone/Iphone craze.

Why?

Well one of the major corps has been known to send "anonymous" alumni to observe the competitors in practice, tape difficult portions needing work, and then over a few drinks and late hours with DCI judges to replay the tapes and point out the problems while defending their own corps. DCI had to address the issue at one point awhile back and advise a more professional (but not professional sports) approach to competition, not letting it be sullied by the ethos of Southern football mania or NFL (spotters, jamming headsets, etc. which also the NFL had to address when my neighbors were coaches employed by teams using the Meadowlands.) In honesty, many corps were "guilty" of various forms of judge influencing (cf. Don Warren's book about the Cavaliers for some blatent examples he criticizes.) In the past decade, the practices have been less obvious with frequent reminders for judging objectivity. That there are no public recaps this year is one current strategy to address the problem.

at one time during GH's tenure, I was one of the minor staffers tasked with the "lookout" job to observe, assess, and act in asking certain persons to stop taping or to leave. This was before the current cellphone/Iphone craze.

Why?

Well one of the major corps has been known to send "anonymous" alumni to observe the competitors in practice, tape difficult portions needing work, and then over a few drinks and late hours with DCI judges to replay the tapes and point out the problems while defending their own corps. DCI had to address the issue at one point awhile back and advise a more professional (but not professional sports) approach to competition, not letting it be sullied by the ethos of Southern football mania or NFL (spotters, jamming headsets, etc. which also the NFL had to address when my neighbors were coaches employed by teams using the Meadowlands.) In honesty, many corps were "guilty" of various forms of judge influencing (cf. Don Warren's book about the Cavaliers for some blatent examples he criticizes.) In the past decade, the practices have been less obvious with frequent reminders for judging objectivity. That there are no public recaps this year is one current strategy to address the problem.

That's crazy. Sounds very NE Patriots.

Why?

The DCI judges strike me (in general) as being extremely aware of the competitive environment, and I would expect that they would be pretty harsh on anyone who would attempt to influence their scoring—especially someone from another corps.

I do think the general feeling around the World Class world has changed after the near meltdown of the entire activity a decade or so ago. Even though everyone is still very competitive, nothing wakes you up like the very real possibility that it could all go away. It's just me, but I feel like there really is a lot of "support" between all the corps, and we all know for a fact that it wasn't always that way.

• Like 1