Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

Bumped for Bluecoats continual cool factor...

• Like 2

I love Bloo, but should we take bets on whether they will allow any girls in the percussion section for 2016? No girls in 2014 or 2015.

Politically correct much?

The members of the Bluecoats design team of the past 3 years are ALL back for 2016 and have been hard at work in NYC this Labor Day weekend. This is GREAT news for all 'Coats fans!!!!!

This is good news. Anyone have speculation on where the Bluecoats may go with music/show design this year? It seems like some kind of progression. In 2013, there was side to side sound experimentation going on. In 2014, some experimental jazz and electronica things, pushing the envelope further in 2015. What's the next logical progression of the Bluecoats? Any guesses on music choices?

This is good news. Anyone have speculation on where the Bluecoats may go with music/show design this year? It seems like some kind of progression. In 2013, there was side to side sound experimentation going on. In 2014, some experimental jazz and electronica things, pushing the envelope further in 2015. What's the next logical progression of the Bluecoats? Any guesses on music choices?

No speculation per say, other than I hope they generally follow their recent formula of original, creative, lesser-known and minimalistic music. What they've brought to the table the past couple of years has squarely filled a void that I didn't even know existed until they took the field. Even without any of the electronics, their programs have just been phenomenal to me - so very unique. I believe they have found their niche, and I've absolutely loved their voice amongst the competition.

Yeah, they definitely found their place programming-wise, but my only complaint about the 2015 music was that it wasn't as... well... pretty as 2014. Far less enjoyable to listen to. Fingers crossed they continue to find off-the-beaten-path stuff, but stuff that also induces a little more head bopping.

Mike

Tell the girls to drum better, then.

Well, this isn't a problem the Bluecoats need to solve alone--although there's probably a place for them in the solution--but if women aren't "drumming better",* it's probably because of elementary school band directors having long steered fifth grade boys to percussion and fifth grade girls to flutes and clarinets. (And part of the blame goes to the parents who think such nudging is only natural.)

*There are of course some excellent female drummers, e.g.:

(It's weird so see Sherrie so young--relative to when first saw her perform, which was only a year ago.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand