Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

Perhaps it is because 1) many of the Crown fans are young bandos without much history or experience in drum corps; they speak in band terms with everything so glowing and marshmellowie that one can get diabetes reading it.

2)The Bloo fans have only one motif: we are the corps doing the newest and most outlandish; everybody else is a fuddy-duddy.

3) Several threads of corps with much older histories in drum corps are much harder on their own corps (present day) to match the integrity and histories of that organization over the past years. Boston, Cadets, Cavaliers, Crossmen, SCV, Troopers, and lately even BD alums are of that mold. Boston, Madison and BD are particularly sensitive if someone outside their family criticizes the family.

Perhaps it's because Crown is the newest corps to rise to the level of the elites, and they are the only elite World Class corps in the south. I mean, I get the jealousy that some have regarding the constant praise for Crown, but holy moly they deliver. Every single season. You just cannot argue against what they do and how well they do it.

I also think Crown has done music that most "band kids" can relate to and reasonably hope to play. How many teenagers yearn to discover Fellini? Nothing at all against BD, because they are awesome, but kids (and heck most adults) don't "get" their themes most of the time. Everyone "gets" Crown; It is a part of their ethos as a corps.

As far as Bluecoats are concerned, give credit where it is due. They are one of the original heavyweights, and are STILL reinventing themselves. And they are executing at the absolute highest levels.

I guarantee you if you are a rising high school band kid (or a band director) you are talking about and trying to play Crown and Coats.

• Like 3

So because they do that, it's okay to be snarky and cynical if we get a little excited on here.........hmm.

How about we just support/criticize a corps because of what THEY do, and not because their fan base ###### us off some? There are a few bases on here that constantly leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I don't go around to their threads to be snarky and sarcastic to push their buttons.

If we wanna hype, let us hype. I think we all do that for one corps every year, whether it be someone you are an alum for or someone you just consistently enjoy. If it annoys you SO much, just ignore it instead of trying to get a rise out of some certain groups. THAT is annoying.

Just want to echo BlueStain's comment in saying that if people want to hype, they can hype. If people want to post sarcastic remarks, they can post sarcastic remarks. The beauty of a discussion forum.

• Like 2

Cappy,

They are calling you to the Green Room for your make-up and hair spritz before the big interview you have tonight with Dennis and Steve now that Will Pitts is somewhat sidelined doing PR's arranging. You might want to also grap a nap so you can be fresh when they ask you on nationwide screen, "how did you get so all-knowing about drum corps and its fans and is it true that you will be replacing Cesario after first tour?" Just remember not to wear your Cavaliers shirt because you go to UVA; some folks in Rosemont may get confused with the propaganda. Break a leg. :-p

• Like 1

Cappy,

They are calling you to the Green Room for your make-up and hair spritz before the big interview you have tonight with Dennis and Steve now that Will Pitts is somewhat sidelined doing PR's arranging. You might want to also grap a nap so you can be fresh when they ask you on nationwide screen, "how did you get so all-knowing about drum corps and its fans and is it true that you will be replacing Cesario after first tour?" Just remember not to wear your Cavaliers shirt because you go to UVA; some folks in Rosemont may get confused with the propaganda. Break a leg. :-p

What can I say, I enjoy people watching :)

What can I say, I enjoy people watching :)

Be prepared for the trick questions the Dynamic Duo are known to ask celebrities. I got a sneak peak at the Script:

Sez Rondinaro, "Cappy, o wise one, share with us your secret: how do you decipher which one is G. Hopkins, head of Bloocoats from G. Hopkins, head of Cadets?

Immediately sez Delucia: "Or this confusing one: How do you decipher D. Warren, head/founder of Cavaliers from D. Warren, Regiment's head? Dan Potter, Brandt Crocker and fans everywhere want to be let in on this one."

Yep. Lots of clues.....

Well, I saw ONE clue that confirmed some things for me.

I will admit to being bullish on Bluecoats chances this summer. I could also be very wrong (it happens all of the time). I marched DCI 81-83 (pit in 81, center snare 82 & 83) but my corps has since folded and the corps we folded into also folded, so I'm not a homer for anyone. I still teach, arrange and perform professionally and have had a number of favorite corps and shows over the years but over the past few years I've become a fan of Bluecoats, first because of Tom Rarick's percussion arranging which has a great mix of musical dynamics, groove and technique, and more recently I've become impressed with the brass arrangements and musical selections which lend themselves to great grooves and rhythmic interest (which I find important for a genre of music with 20 or so battery and over a dozen mallet and perc voices). To be quite honest about my biases, I've grown a bit weary of listening to corps ram a hundred paradiddles and hybrids into 19th century music (and older) although sometimes it's done very tastefully. I'm also not a big fan of themes and such that require acting or narration to get what's going on and why certain tunes have been chosen for the show. I try not to overly critique corps for taking that approach, as it sometimes works out well, but I do have opinions and will share them, hopefully in a fair-minded way. I do have a friend on Bloo staff but that doesn't affect my opinion of Bloo any more than when he worked with another group a few years back. However, I'm excited about the premier tonight not because I expect them to have a mind-blowing theme but because I know that they have been given a show that from what I'm hearing will be among the most musically demanding they have attempted. I also really like the source material and appreciate the innovative approach to the visual program they have taken the past few years. I want them to succeed in what they are attempting this year (as I do with everyone!) but will have no problem critiquing any shortcomings. Here's to a great season for all!

• Like 3

Bluecoats announced their show on facebook just now.