Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

My13 year old and I went to the theater to watch tonight, and I was very excited about what the show might be like. While he liked Crown slightly better, he thought the Bluecoats show was cool. I say it that way because he doesn't have the pre-conceived notions of what a drum corps show "should" look like. I, on the other hand, was in complete shock. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I absolutely loved this show, and the costumes worked for me. The show didn't last long enough. The way it started, with the clapping, all the way to the end, and the brass, drums and guard all performing at such a high level, I'm pretty sure I looked like a slack-jawed idiot. For better or for worse, I think we have just taken our first glimpse of the future of the activity.

Edited by ajlemm
  • Like 2

Bluecoats initial observation - Blooooo's design team has figured out that the only way you're going to beat the Blue Devils is to play them at their game. This show takes the drum corps audience outside its comfort zone just enough to set them on their heels, yet pull them swiftly and gently into a new realm. It's classy, inspiring, innovative, with full blown moments of pure good-old fashioned drum corps. We may have finally found a show design that has something for every kind of drum corps fan, new and old. Bravo.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 3

Bluecoats initial observation - Blooooo's design team has figured out that the only way you're going to beat the Blue Devils is to play them at their game. This show takes the drum corps audience outside its comfort zone just enough to set them on their heels, yet pull them swiftly and gently into a new realm. It's classy, inspiring, innovative, with full blown moments of pure good-old fashioned drum corps. We may have finally found a show design that has something for every kind of drum corps fan, new and old. Bravo.

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. This is what I believe Devils have been lacking of late. They keep winning but many, including myself don't care for the entertainment value of there shows.

• Like 2

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. This is what I believe Devils have been lacking of late. They keep winning but many, including myself don't care for the entertainment value of there shows.

Speak for yourself. Bloo and BD are pretty different despite both being very modern, but I find them equally entertaining. BD has been putting out a lot more fan friendly shows since 2013

I told you all I would play the video of Bloo recorded on my mind tonite. Don't hate me for giving it away. When I go to pre-season next year, I will wear blinders and ear plugs.

Seriously, though I have tried to show some restraint as to how exciting it has been to watch preseason. The comments that it has to follow a story line is what we heard about the uber successful shows the Cavaliers did in the early 2000's. I know; and people hated on them too.

• Like 1

Agreed - the Devs have taken us a little too far out into the deep end. The Bluecoats on the other hand have taken the same formula but made it entertaining. Extremely difficult to do.