All-righty, then. Let;s get to the show and to the pre-contest exhibitions.

I'd seen part of the Saint's Brigade program at Profiles in Music in April, and the brass section;s become a lot more confident as musicians. They perform really well thought-out arrangements of old and new chestnuts like "Baroque Samba", "New York State of Mind", , and "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor". Their percussion's always nice and tight, and their brass soloists do very well.

Reilly came on next, and it was hot, and out they came in full uniform- pretty tough for anyone at any age let alone some of the old schoolers who took the field. They hung tough!

They're at their best playing the pieces they're best known for like "Danny Boy, It isn't Easy Bein' Green", "Soldier Boy", and "When irish Eyes are Smiling", though their flag presentation segment was nice and on the mark.

Next up were Sky's Alumni Corps, and they were a very pleasant surprise. They're much better than when I'd seen them at last year's Grand Prix, their renditions of "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" and "Elks' Parade" were very well done, and the soloists were spot on. I think they're going to make a lot of people happy at the Alumni Spectacular in Rochester with their performance there.

The Cabs Alumni have changed things up a bit with a drill style more from the '70's that's not the squad-based linear presentational drill from the previous decade as they usually tend to do. It's pleasant and well-performed.

This year, they're doing a rather nifty arrangement of "Bully", "Mexican Hat Dance", a concert of "Echano", the second movement of Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" and wrapping up with "Cha Cha Flamenco".

They've been further refining their brass sound, but I have to bring up one thing before I forget. There are two very fine percussion features in the program and I finally met John Smith and complimented him personally. They're not trying to stroke out 600 taps per second or just smash and slam their way through these features, they have a fine groove and a real sense of elegance and control when they're out there and it's tasty as all get-out. These guys proved faster is not always better, and really had a very laid back, controlled and musical feel on Saturday.

Next up was Al Chez and his Brothers of Funk. Take one great Rhythm Section, 7 good men on brass backing Al up, and 3 great Reed players... and you have a very entertaining mix. Al was extremely hard-working for both sets and worked the crowd as hard as he could, and was lights out spectacular. The videos of his band on YT aren't even close to how good they sound live. Well I did say this was an event, and now, I can finally start talking about the contest! I'll get this up piece by piece until I start nodding off. :satisfied:

• Like 3

Excelsior led off the contest, and the one thing on my mind was whether their entire brass section would become more involved in the program, and they were, particularly the mid and lower range. I was left thinking about what was happening with the trumpets. I realized they were playing but I think they were doubling the Lower Brass, and since the LBs were a bit higher and the Trumpets were down in the lower ranges in the staff, they were almost playing unison for a good bit of the show, or that was the impression I was left with. It covered them up.

The new keyboard settings were much, much improved and the sound far more pleasant.

The corps also might have been a bit nervous at the beginning of the show with the crowd in place, but once they settled in, they found their groove and got noticeably better as the show progressed.

They were noticeably better than Scranton.

I know, I know. "So, why did their score drop if they got better, Hmmmm!?"

I sat down with the recaps and started to think. This takes time.

1: Only one person was on the panel from Downingtown none of the panel was at Schuylerville. The person who had seen them was on a different caption. For the rest of the panel, it was a first read.

2. It was mainly the drop in GE Music, from a 13.7 at Both Downingtown and Schuylerville to a 10.5 at Clifton. Since communication is an average of both the GE Music judges evaluation and the GE Visual, it went down, but not as precipitously, from a 6.85 at Schuylerville to a 6.1 to Clifton. So right there.... they pretty much lost 3.95 points. Visual numbers dropped, but not as severely, Music captions stayed more or less the same with some loss. My guess is partly individual tolerance levels, partly some of the judges adjusting based on other Class A corps they'd seen during the season, it was a pretty big shift.

All one can do is know you did a better job, that a lot more needs to be done, and that these kinds of things will happen. They'll have to continue to do what they need to do and take one good, honest shot to do a very clean and well-performed run this Saturday in Connecticut and try to force the pendulum back the other direction. Can they? Sure, if they don't let this affect their attitudes and they continue to work hard. :satisfied:

Sky was a lot more focused yet relaxed in their performance at Clifton, and yes, there were some issues with imprecision, but they were a lot better with the quick temp transitions this week, and it really made the show come alive.

I really like this brass book. It's really fun to listen to. Sky owes it to themselves to really commit themselves this week to do the vest they can do and just see what kind of decent number they can throw out there at Bridgeport.

Sky's still young and learning. If they can stick together and grow together in time- they'll make some real noise.

• Like 1

I'll apologize for a lack of a personnel count for the Sunrisers, let's just say they are "big enough to do the job at hand".

When the DCA schedule came up, I did earmark the show because it was the only open weekend I could see them, and I do try and get a live look at as many of the DCA members as I can. Usually, between Downingtown, Scranton, and Reading I can normally do so, but this year was a bit different.

The new color touches in the corps uniform was welcome, and it does make them a lot more attractive.

The show this year's about taking a 'round the world trip and the various music and moods the corps encounters along the way. The corps has a very solid field spread and placement and what got me early was the quality work from the Front Ensemble and the really pretty and transparent brass sound.

The drill also has some real challenges in terms of field placement and they appear to handle those issues rather well. I expected to hear some timing issues because of the field placement and didn't catch them. It takes great instruction, planning, and good heads on the shoulders of the performers to make things happen in those situations.

The brass has a really well-controlled sound throughout the performance and I also liked the vibe from the battery and Front ensemble. They're not out there trying to crush it all the time, but they're also playing some serious stuff when called to do it.

There's one thing I really like about the brass book. JD Shaw obviously understands the baritone and euphonium, understands how to write to the strengths of the instrument, and realizes full well that yes, we might be a bunch of clowns with two left feet, that we actually can play some wonderful things beyond half notes and the root and third of the chord. :satisfied:

Problems? Some, but not ones that make me get a headache.

The second half of the show makes me feel like the plane ran late, the tour got behind schedule and the tour guides started rushing us around from airport to airport. "There's the Eiffel Tower, time for one selfie! We gotta hit the road!" :satisfied: This is a picky issue. I still enjoy the book and how it's played a lot.

The bigger issue, and I know the corps has been working hard on it is this:

Looking at the visual numbers, this bears out. The transitions from form to form get cloudy and muddy in several sequences in the performance. Some of it could be the design making it look a bit jumbled, some of it would be the corps not marching the intermediate sets cleanly, but I know they're working on this stuff and can do a lot to enhance their numbers in this area with some serious sweat and effort. It also effects the idea of "hearing what you see/seeing what you hear" in terms of effect and coordination.

Even with me being picky- Sun's good. This is a nice show, and the young performers are really working hard to do a great job with it and it's well worth watching and enjoying.

Right now, they're looking at what-- 8th? 9th? Any other year, this would not be thought of as an 8-9 corps, it's just that everyone is so freakin' strong this year. Don't let placements fool you. This is a GOOD and very enjoyable corps regardless of how they stack into the pile. By far the best Sun show over the last 4 seasons. Take the time to enjoy and see them. Get up early for prelims if you're going and get there on time. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

The Hurcs added a lot to their program for Clifton and were quite enjoyable. They needed to come through tonight, and I think they did.

I did like seeing Rich Yelnick wearing the "cop hat". a nice touch and appreciated.

The corps had more flair and confidence then they did at Downingtown, and there were some solid moments and nice added touches.

The Mello soloist was wonderful, playing a tough solo in the most awkward part of the instrument. Usually they'll sound fuzzy, flat, spread. and kind of nauseous in that part of the horn, but they were fantastic. Great player! :worthy:

The new flags were very attractive and added a real element of class to the performance. The battery seemed a lot more in the groove and involved as well.

This is another well designed show that makes the most of a group of talented folks that's very enjoyable to watch and listen to. I'll say it again. Get up early for Prelims. Enjoy a very good corps in the form of the Hurcs. Okay? :wink:

• Like 1

Next the Sabres. Saw Donny was peeking in while I was writing and I realized I forgot about the National Anthem. :wall: It was a fantastic, classy, tasteful arrangement performed by two top notch guys in a classy and tasteful way. The way it should be done. :worthy:

Now to the Sabres. If you've read my other reviews, you know I like em' a lot. I love the book, I love the way they play it.

They found another gear at Clifton and nailed the throttle. I checked my notes and after looking at the recap, the music numbers might have been a tad conservative. Perhaps trying to keep the Nine-Oh cork firmly in the Genie's bottle.... :wink:

The only better seats in the stadium were the judges who were sitting in the next row directly behind me. The vantage was better then Scranton, and the drill readability and staging was better particularly in the sacrifice segment. I do dig that whole thing, I just do. Is it one of those guilty pleasures, just that I'm a bit eccentric, or both? :satisfied:

There's been some discussion about the Sabres percussion, particularly the battery on DCP this week here and there. Are they perhaps under-appreciated? YOU. BET. I got woke up about it at Clifton when I paid more attention to them. They're not out there showing off- they just do some very musical things very well and make the show cook without making a lot of noise to do so. Check them out at Big Sounds and Prelims. You'll be glad you did.

In conclusion, I'll quote my notes:

"HELLA FINE RUN!" 'nuff said. :laugh:

My guess is at this point some of the members from the earlier corps began to come in and fill the stands as C2 took to the field.

The balance between the Brass, Mallets and Electronics was FAR better than at Scranton, and the brass really made a bona fide effort to fill the stadium with quality sound.

The balance also allowed me to hear a wonderfully written and played mello feature in Scheherazade this time. YES. SWEET.

The Front Ensemble had a very good night as well, and the ending was much better then Scranton. The musical phrases and the visual forms flowed from one idea to the next easily and effortlessly as compared to Scranton, where there were some occasional little clunks in the transmission when it shifted.

Right now, I sense a lot of growing poise out of C2. In previous seasons, they're usually searching and unsure about themselves except for percussion at this point, but I sense everyone's together and all making a genuine and honest hard effort to row the boat right now. We'll have to see what they can do at Big Sounds to further their numbers.

They may not make large jumps, but I sense steady momentum right now. It could make them a dangerous corps in the next 2 weeks. We'll have to see.

About 230 AM. I'll wrap up later today.

Before I go, I'll see if I can address the one earlier comment.

Yes-- parking has evidently been a historical issue at this venue. Al Chez even mentioned that a bit during the first set. It's so well-known that even I knew about it and prepared for the issue.

The only solution would be to bulldoze the houses near the stadium and pave it all over, and I just have a feeling the people who live in those houses wouldn't go along with that. :satisfied: The only real solution is to get there early, very early like the one Bucs fan I see at every show did and grab a good spot in the one lot across the stadium accessible by the tunnel under US 46, or get lazy like me and go VIP. :satisfied:

I didn't leave the stadium from 245 to 1030PM, so I can't attest to some of the alumni issues mentioned.

That being said, I know at least one squad car was nearby for most of the contest and I believe some uniformed police were out and about the vicinity of the stadium as well- at least that was the case when i arrived and when I went to the restrooms, I saw them still parked there.

If you're gonna go and have adult beverages on School District property knowing that the local police are patrolling the venue and nearby area.... 1: You can't fix stupid. 2: If the Police have a problem with the perpetrators, I won't be sympathetic.

I marched 6 seasons BITD wild and wooly era. Of course I like good beer! But... not so much that I'd risk problems with law enforcement, let alone get the corps I was with in trouble If I was marching that day. :wink: 'Nuff said.

Edited by BigW

Possible - Organize the parking should be a the top of the list......

Whatever the reasons - parking has to be fixed and also made safer -

and if you want to hhold the vent there again - enforce the no alcohol and no smoking policy because that is the state policy in NJ for all schools and their properties. It was extreme in the lots. I know from experience that it is a big undertaking to host any DCA show,however, you must have the show /event staff on site from first thing in the morning. First thing in the morning means 8am. Anything less is a rough or badly run show at best. Performances were great but outside of the gate was a huge free for all for corps and their members. It felt like someone decided that day to put a show together and forgot to organize parking. Alumni have to be respectful of the needs of the corps.

Was there handicap parking?

Parking was an issue for everyone - members and spectators. Whatever was the reason - the bottom line is it was not taken care of. A sign is not taking care of it. Active parking workers is the only way - if you do not have enought people - should not have the show. It was that bad.

I apologize but I do know what it takes. Sticking signs up for a DCA show has never worked. The audience and alumni corps cannot read at DCA events.

Sorry - You have to fix it. COrps show werre great - parking not so much

Two words on parking....it's Clifton. :tounge2:

I've been going to that stadium since around 1971 for marching band and drum corps shows, and your parking comments would have been the same then as well as today.

• Like 5

I earmarked this show early on as one I might go to. Why? It would be my only chance to see Sun on-field this season, and I really wanted to get a good look at them. I looked at the tickets for the center top, and well, I did get a bit of sticker shock. I decided to think about everything and weigh it out before I got uppity, and I'm glad I did. Let's start with all of that, since it's something to weigh of you go to Clifton and want a really good seat.

Yes, the VIP ticket at Clifton was more than the cost of similar seating that I got at D-Town, Scranton, and for Big Sounds combined.

Again, I thought about it, and spent some time at work thinking about it for most of July. Where I work, one needs something positive to think about.

I figured with the size of the contest, the food voucher, the VIP parking, the Brothers of Funk, Alumni exhibitions, it dawned on me.

The Bushwackers were trying to stage an event, something more than the normal. I figure that I've paid about the same price for a VIP ticket to Mid-Ohio for the IndyCar/TUDOR races and for cheap seats at NASCAR, so, let's give it a try and see what it's like. :satisfied:

I'm convinced the VIP tickets had very good value. I'm sure some folks are thinking- "HOW?"

I'll tell you what I figured:

Parking, which from observation is a bit of a ripping pan around this stadium, was worth 10 to 15 bucks. I got a place right next to the entrance tunnel. I got out really quickly as a result. To pay to park for some top end big city restaurants , about that much. A parking ticket if you screw up when you try and park or try and get away with it, would cost a lot more, and there were Police cruisers making sure the area around the stadium was safe and okay, and also to by my guess tag any illegal parkers in the surrounding neighborhood. :satisfied:

You get a nice 10 dollar concession stand voucher. The food at this show beats Scranton's by a mile. It's excellent as band/Corps show stadium food goes. I've usually eaten when I get to D-Town and Reading so I'm not hungry, so I really can't compare though the grill at D-Town smells really good. For my 10 bucks, I got a very nice quality Cheeseburger (It had to have been- low quality burger meat makes me really, really ill since the Gall Bladder issues...) and get this- they offer a 64 ounce bottle of Iced Tea of your choice of flavors with a couple big cups of ice. Man, they know the way to a Baritone Player's heart. Given the length of the day and the heat, it was perfect. :satisfied:

You also got 6 free raffle tickets worth 6 bucks with very nice prizes (Cruise voucher- nice 32 inch TV!).

Aaaaand.... a 25% off coupon at the Bushwacker swag table. I got a nice Bush T-Shirt for about 5 bucks off retail.

Right there is 30 bucks in value out of the ticket.

I'm not done. :satisfied:

Factor in 2 sets of Al Chez and the Brothers of Funk. (Very fun,superb, BTW) What's a ticket to see them normally gonna cost yah? My guess is, 20? More? They're worth at least that. :satisfied:

The stadiums very, very well kept and clean (I've seen some NJ/NY/PA HS stadiums that are not and look like a war-torn zone from the Video Game World of Tanks after my King Tiger's rumbled though the stands and blasted the concession stand with my long 88 because some opponent's trying to hide behind it with his Sherman...), the team running it are every bit as prepared, helpful, kind, and professional as I have ran into with the shows out my way, so yes, I think it's a very good value. Expensive, yes, but still a very good value. I wanted to make sure I spelled that out as positively as I could for everyone and to make sure at least from my personal perspective that the Bush people know that at least one person feels that way for certain. :satisfied:

A lot of us old timers will tell war stories about some of the really, really.. well... not-so good venues we competed in with DCA and other circuits in the past. We laugh about it now and shake our heads, but looking at the experience now as compared to some of the shows BITD, it's so much better. CRAZY better, and I am appreciative of that. there may be less contests- but at least the corps members today won't be talking about marching a show with 22 people in the stands in some ramshackle stadium where the PA system squawks feedback and the lights explode in showers of sparks during the performances. :satisfied:

Okay- I've set up the show. What happened there? A LOT. I'll get this done later, but I need to take care of some things. Please be patient!

Just a quick note about the VIP ticket, those six cruise raffle tickets included in the package were worth $60.00