Why are there so many less DCP DCA fans posting since 2012"ish&#34

If that's WayBacBucs opinion, then it is what it is. I don't particularly care for rap music, but there are LOT'S of people who do. For me to say it's not music just because I don't care for it is a little close minded. But again, it's just an opinion. Present drum corps, old drum corps and even ancient drum corps is still drum corps. We continue to have alumni corps performing at shows, to show what the activity was and how it's evolved and that's a good thing. This way current performers get a first hand knowledge of their roots that they might not have gotten. If you only catch a minute or two of a performing alumni corps and don't enjoy it, that's ok. You still got to see what it was. Many if not most performing alumni members would be still out there in todays corps if they could. LOL LOL

• Like 3

Which era was better? Kid of like comparing the 1950 Ferrari 212 Export Spyder I saw this summer with the LaFerarri I got a look at last September. Yes, the 212 is really neat to see, the styling, very neat for the period, the engine- to the Tifosi is charming, to me, it was smoky as heck and sounded like a chainsaw with asthma. :satisfied: (That being said I can listen to and appreciate corps recordings from the 40's into the 70's, I'll listen to Larry Scott's "Student Prince" solo any time you'd want me to sit down and listen to it with yah)

Hmm. LaFerrari has an electric motor inside (sound familiar?) but on a lot of levels is a "better" vehicle to get around in. There are some ties between the two, but they're generations apart. Both treasured and respected but from different generations of thought, engineering, and knowledge.

Ferrari is competitive, very competitive in racing. (hmm sounds familiar.) If they stayed satisfied with the 212, they'd have fallen by the wayside by 1954, and folded by 1975 because the motor would have failed emissions standards or become a charming little specialty builder of quaint little cars. :satisfied: Most folks would like a smoother, relatively quieter, more reliable, better handling vehicle for their everyday use.

It's not a crime to like and appreciate both for what they are and what they provide. :satisfied:

• Like 1

IMO ... neither ... I find peace and solace in Classical music ... when was the last "classical" piece written? ... don't know ... don't care ... I cherish the deep layering and slow pace of the musical constructs from the sweet sound of a gypsy violin playing in contrast to the deep vibrating tones of the bass ... then harmonies coming in from the left and right, mounting to a forte of sound that boggles the mind ... my wife finds it humorous that I can find solace in such a style of music, knowing the reckless abandon and relentless "power" I was associated with during my years in Drum Corps, both Jr. and Sr., actually relaxes me ...

I agree with all those who profess that there is no one answer ... each decade (era) has its own unique personality ... I know what I like ... and I know what I don't like ... but I rarely pontificate ... because each genre is being presented with a different intent - and a different audience in mind ...

So ... here we are on a Friday at 1:00 (my time) with a few glasses of vino and some fine homemade pizza to stimulate the melancholy rant (is that an oxy moron?) you read above ...

Just do me a favor ... keep playing ... for yourself if for no one else ...

:-)

Which era was better?

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 3

All depends on how you define "content."

Some folks, in DCI and DCA, feel that the corps playing the most notes and doing the most pages of drill has the most content. That argument has been made since time began, seemingly. LOL.

I'm not sure that's always the case. But then again, I thought Fidel Castro might be dead by now. :tongue:

more notes and running is better!

doing it well enough to show you can is better!

More notes!

Show enough!

tastes great!

less filling!!

Munsters

Addams Family

• Like 2

The fact is, Drum and Bugle Corps is dead. Enjoy the crappy video's on You-Tube from back in the day!

Drum corps is gone, It's now Marching Band.

Done.

You all want to keep polishing the memory of what is now a turd. No matter how much you try to polish it,,, it's just a turd no matter how much you want to polish it to see it shine again.

Deal with it, you all stood by and watched it happen and did nothing.

Enjoy!

now that's a rational discussion point!!

:ninja:

• Like 1

Hey WayBack.......Great words of wisdom for all the men and women who are busting their butts in DCA and DCI to entertain you! Yeh they don't play all the old tunes like back in the day, but when you entered corps the change was already happening. Maybe the news didn't get to Dunkirk but it got to North Tonawanda and we received it with no problem. I actually (like most) went through the valve/rotor period to a two to a three valve horn AND from G to Bb/F. I had no problems with that. I find what is happening today and yesterday exciting and creative. Look FORWARD not back!

careful, you'll get labeled a know it all for saying this

• Like 2

IMO ... neither ... I find peace and solace in Classical music ... when was the last "classical" piece written? ... don't know ... don't care ... I cherish the deep layering and slow pace of the musical constructs from the sweet sound of a gypsy violin playing in contrast to the deep vibrating tones of the bass ... then harmonies coming in from the left and right, mounting to a forte of sound that boggles the mind ... my wife finds it humorous that I can find solace in such a style of music, knowing the reckless abandon and relentless "power" I was associated with during my years in Drum Corps, both Jr. and Sr., actually relaxes me ...

I agree with all those who profess that there is no one answer ... each decade (era) has its own unique personality ... I know what I like ... and I know what I don't like ... but I rarely pontificate ... because each genre is being presented with a different intent - and a different audience in mind ...

So ... here we are on a Friday at 1:00 (my time) with a few glasses of vino and some fine homemade pizza to stimulate the melancholy rant (is that an oxy moron?) you read above ...

Just do me a favor ... keep playing ... for yourself if for no one else ...

:-)

What a skillfully articulated point of view. And to think, it was written by a drummer!

That would be Andy Lisko - Drummer, Poet, Renaissance Man.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 6

now that's a rational discussion point!!

:ninja:

oh shaddup you expert :ninja:

• Like 1

Addams Family

Oh let's really nitpick......

1960s TV version with John Astin, etc

Movies version with Raoul Julia, etc

Fox Family Channel TV version late 90s.. worth a mention since they had John Astin play Great-grandpa Addams a few times....

And of course the nameless (really) drawings of Charles Addams.....

OK I'm a fan....