8.22.15 ACTUAL Clifton unBiased review.

I had you all going for a minute there on that last post huh... womp womp.

Good morning to all of you out in the virtual marching pitch.

Here's a quick overview of my day for 8.22.15. Leave Baltimore, sit in traffic. Get angry. Drive 30 miles, then sit in traffic. Get angry. Lather, rinse, repeat. Oh look Delaware... still in Delaware... eff Delaware. Then on to NJ.

Then I finally arrive in Montclair. Had lunch at Egan & Sons. If you're in Montclair, stop by there. It feels fancy, but without fancy prices. I'll suggest though, that if you get a really short server with dark hair, kindly ask to be reseated in a different section or you'll arrive at your own funeral before your drink gets refilled.

Then onto the show, saw a couple of people I've taught with, watched a couple of warmups, sat through a show, made some numbuts with her phone on feel like... a numbnutz, discover my original couch to crash on is infested with ants, drive back to Baltimore with a nap in the car, and a second red bull somewhere in there.

Ok, enough semantics...

REVIEW PREFACE/Boilerplate: Reviewer will strive to give you some good, some bad, probably some ugly when it's warranted, and some constructive, objective, and yes, even subjective criticism. Reviewer is a horn person hence will give more notes about horns, feet and posture, visual performance, and if other sections happen to throw down, reviewer will give them props earned. If performers are not selling it, readers will hear about it. Reviewer comments when stuff is clean and musical, and when its not. Reviewer has distaste for schtick, dirty feet, uncharacteristic sounds, and repeated gak. Schtick herein is defined as bando, theme is defined as drum corps. Schtick is only to be used if performers are the Velvet Knights, where your theme is schtick, and awesome. (RIP VK..*sniff) Reviewer is unqualified to determine structural integrity of field, shows, food, corps, or readers reactions, and thus cannot absorb repercussions for feelings hurt, egos damaged, or coffee improperly made. Reviewer is not associated with any corps in this contest and is not acting on behalf of any corps Jr or All-Ages currently in existence or defunct.

Personal note...

None of this is meant to be malicious, so please don't hatemail me. I try to keep it light, with jokes and rants, sometimes about the stuff that happened that night, sometimes about stuff on the field. I write a lot... and these actually ARE the cliffs notes edited down so if you don't want to read about somebody... skip it. I don't care. Do whatcha want! Some corps are going to get more criticism than others, because frankly, they can do more, they work harder, and there are higher expectations set from last year. As always, if your world is one laden with sugar coating, you should stop reading RIGHT NOW, and go find yourself a nice puppet show to attend. A show review this close to championships isn't going to be one of unicorns farting butterflies or jolly little leprechauns serving you beers by the bucket. As Mr Wolf says "If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this..." Now get off my lawn... and back to reading.

That being said...

I remember playing shows in Clifton stadium ages ago. At least I think I remember it. It looks different from the seats. To be honest, I'm a fan of any show that has quality street parking. Thanks Clifton, for giving me a place to put my car without the feeling of being stabbed.

I sat about 9 rows up on the performers left 40, and in that stadium, even 9 rows gives you some decent height, so I can check forms and such, lines, etc... But really, if I'm listening and watching for feet I want to be close.

Alumni awesomeness... I apologize. I missed you guys. I intended to arrive in time to see some of the 'Wackers rehearsal in the stadium, grab lunch, and catch a few of you. That did not happen. So gentlemen and ladies, I apologize. I will have to catch you all either online or next season. But i'm sure you were wicked, the old mafia guys sitting behind me loved you. I'll trust the mafia's opinion, If nothing for self preservation. So if Louie, and Moose love ya, I will as well.

Excelsior. 10 Horns, 10 guard, 7 battery, 7 pit, 1DM/Corps Director. Get out your RAY BANS, and start swaying like you have some soul. Because they're playing some soul.

I think they look larger than last year. (or at least the movement helps that) They most certainly move more than last year. They are still young. (which may be a hindrance) They have a fun show. Songs about.. well.. YOU. no. not you, but YOU. And you, and her, and him, and you (lose the bangs and maybe you too).

To be honest, they move like they're young, they play like they're young, and though I like the corps' mission to their area, I don't think it's going to be competitive until some things change. But alas, they are still alive in an area where others are not.

One thing they DID change from last year, is the solo/melody lead trumpet moves around the field with the rest of the corps, finally. Well, sort of. Look, I understand how the member/staff person is doing two roles in the corps, but if you're going to march, march. Be in time, be in form, and be attentive to the DM like the rest of the corps is, otherwise you attract attention to yourself, which detracts from the show.

Overall, they're dirty top to bottom musically and visually. Low brass needs to fill the horns up with air, and play to the back of the stadium instead of to the front sideline. I saw a tuba, but didn't hear one. So balance was a little off.

Guard, though mostly competent of the work, has lots of phasing in it, and the battery is the same. Really, it looks like these MMs are out there to have fun, and are still learning the show, but it felt like they had fun performing. If they can nail the style of soul music, this show's likeability will skyrocket. I mean... How can you not love playing you's some Steve Wonder? Seriously. If you don't have fun playing Stevie, check your pulse. Then leave. I aint got time for you.

In all seriousness, I truly like their improvement from last year. They have taken this corps up a large notch from what I saw last season. I hope they keep it up, maybe grab another 8 horns and keep pushing, because they fill a void that the death of DCIs Division 3 created, bringing actual youth into the activity. For that alone, they got a standing O from me.

New York Skyliners... of Pennsylvania. "Because there's always something about that... 2 hour drive west" 36 horns, 14 guard, 11 batter, 8 pit. I feel like this is a little odd, to have to call them the New York Skyliners. Its kind of like baseball's The Los Angeles Angels... OF ANAHEIM!!! Geographical semantics!

About their show... Whatever Loooooollla Wants... Lola wants you to listen to those chords better. She's on the field with you. She's gypsy thieving flags and stuff from your members, why isn't she stealing horns and drums as well? She might be, I just missed it. I like the idea. I think that this corps needs to receive a gold star, or a medal, or a hug or something for being the comeback corps. They look reinvigorated. The new uni's look fantastic. They've got new clothes, a new groove, and a new way of life.

My biggest concerns are intonation, getting members to understand the chord stacking in the jazz charts, and getting soloists to be able to put out enough air that they can sit on top of the ensemble. Tonight the squealers got buried. The baris also don't have the punch I would expect for jazz. There's no bite on notes that need bite.

There's also tons of visual dirt, which I think is going to be the norm since they are moving much more than before, and may be getting used to this style of show. It felt like they cleaned impacts visually and musically. Most of the stuff they played loud was pretty ok, not amazing, but aiight, everything not loud was just meh. Feet were a mess and all up in the sound of the horns, battery was tickish, guard, to be honest I didn't catch much of you, i'm sorry. I will watch for your stuff more closely at finals.

To be honest, if they can clean this puppy, they will make it a tough day for the rest of that lower tier hoping for a finals spot. But they need to work... not like government work, but like day laborer work. And fast. Clean the chords, fix the intonation concerns, and get the feet together, and they are a solid NCAA bubble team. I'd like to think they can punch their ticket to finals, IF the members shed notes and sit down with a tuner at home in their off time, and literally learn how to tune every note in this show. If they don't, they'll be watching finals.

But like all NCAA teams, its a 3 year process. First year change the coaching and evaluate problems, second year implement your new systems and recruiting, third year... profit. Don't be discouraged Skyliners of the city known for "The Office". Keep this track and success will come.

Loooong Island Sunrisers, of long island. (I didn't count members.) Commmme fly with me... lets fly... lets fly away...

OK. Let's get this over with. I'm going to get some hate mail over this... don't worry Sun, there will be others who are going to get this criticism later as well. Two things I don't like, schtick and bad electronix. In regards to schtick, I don't dig drum majors dressed unlike the rest of the ensemble. You're a corps that is better than schtick. I see bands do that who can't design a show to drive home an idea. You don't need that malarky. Your show is already better than that. I will say, however, if you intend to dress them as characters in the world, they need to act the character in the world. Not sort of. Be the Pan Am attendant, forced smile and all. When they aren't conducting, they need to also move like a Pan Am attendant. Embody the character, if you're going to use characterization.

My other major bad... The vocals in the show, are choppy, and sound like they are a Google translator voice, that's been put into MP3 form for playback. Its flat, and not resonant like a real human is, and it bothers me. If your show is based around the ins and outs of an airport, and you can't take the time to do a quality recording of a voice that is what leads us into each scene, you've let the people marching on the field down by being cheap and saying "yeah, that's good enough". When you can record a real voice, using a real mic and a laptop, and an inexpensive software (or even free) to edit, there's no excuse for a bad spoken vocal. They also have at least one that was played, but was so quiet you didn't get it, so you missed the point of the next section of show. The vocal didn't set it up, which what I think was India.

Other bads... high brass intonation is no bueno from the start of El Camino, there's loads of split attacks in the upper brass, and on hits, the lower end just disappears. It's like the big horns took a vacation on impacts. (see what i did there... wokka wokka)

Bass four... your feet hurt me. I tried to look away, but I couldn't. Wrong foot, wrong time, bouncing between 3 and 5 in the space. woof.

Now that that's over with. I like the charts in this show. I think they are appropriate for the talent level and can put this corps back into finals. I really enjoy the arrangements and I think the theme is something that can satisfy both the art, and the entertainment we are used to getting from DCA. IT feels like this corps grew up from last season and came back determined to make a point. Performance posture as a whole is better, but we are still getting feet in the horns sound, and battery drums bouncing around. The intervals tend to flex a little more than I think they want to. But the style of the show is there. And you can get four contrasting styles of music pretty well. There's a couple of moments where things come unraveled with some phasing left to right. France was shaky in some parts.

Guard... looks like they are still learning some parts of the show. I think the work is tougher than last season, and tosses had some hand issues tonight. Overall though, I think this corps is much improved from last season top to bottom. While I think they need more time than they have to clean this up, I don't think they are neck deep in cow pie. (or whatever animal pastures on long island) Keep pushing, I think you're a solid low finals group.

Hurricanes. After dark. Under the football lights. Wait.. WHAT?

I forgot to count peoples. sorry. But they look smaller than last year. I like the charts for this show, (big band, jazz, lounge stuff... pompadours and pin stripe suits optional) I mostly like the arrangements. Except for one minor problem. This isn't a drum corps show. This is a trumpet show, backed by a drum corps. They've even put the soloist in an old school Hurcs cop hat, and stuck him in front of the pit on the field.

So my thing is, is he in the pit?, dress him like the pit, is he playing the part of a lounge player?, then put him in a suit like your show theme dictates (and make him ACT like he's a lounge player), but where he's at in front of the pit, and sort of in between everything in space and in dress, makes it just look a little odd to me. Like an afterthought. "go stand over there Charlie, we'll get to you after this set". One other concern. Its ok to hang over a little, once in awhile with a screamer solo, it loses its luster when it happens over, and over... etc. It starts to sound wrong. Or lazy. Or both. Don't get me wrong, he plays beautifully, and the style is right, this just seems like more solo than needed.

Their feet, in general, I stopped watching. They need work. The body presence also needs works. Battery bounces around left and right. I think the tubas played pretty well, but there's something about mimicking a bass that they are just shy of completing. The baris are on a good start for mimicking the bite and presence of big band trombones, but again, they need to really do it with everyone. There's still inconsistency there amongst the line, and inconsistency in the style. But they're close.

The usual strength of the Hurcs... the guard... had some rifle probs. The rest of them though, were stellar. They've got some stuff to clean or add I think, and some staging to fix because I feel like they are stuck out in the nether regions for most of the show. But work is great, fairly tough, and being sold well. I think they may make some changes to up the ante. They should if they have time.

They've got tables and chairs set up stage right. I'm not sure if they intend to use more of it, but it feels like an after thought. I don't think the show needs it, and they could find a better way to integrate that with the soloist on the other side. But what levels they create using these props are interesting and to be honest, if its out there, lets find another way to use it.

I guess what i'm saying is, I want to like this show, but I feel like they robbed the members of playing time, and gave it to a fairly static feature. The corps itself has grasped the style of the music pretty well, so Nutville has a great feel to it, as well as Harlem Nocturne, but it really feels like we've got more solo than we need, you tend to not look at much else how its all staged. Everything else sort of fades away.

White (blue) Sabres. 30 horns, 11 pit, 24ish guard, 16 battery. Incantation and Ritual, I was expecting a little more ritual. Sacrifice somebody! But without judges on the field... oh well.

Stylistically this music fits their personality. I'm starting to think these ladies and gents are becoming the Cavaliers of DCA. They have a sound that feels very Cavies to me. Balanced, centered, and within its means. I will state that this corps understands what they have to work with, and they work within those confines extremely well. They had one of the best blends of the night. They don't have melt your face impacts, but their control is great across all volumes. So hats off to them.

I'm not sure if they added some members after DCI but it looks like they've got some people marching differently than the rest. there are some attempting to march a true straight leg (where you lock your knee and walk using only your butt-tocks) and some doing a relaxed straight leg. so my brain is confused. There's also lots of feet in the sound. There are parts of the show where the horns sound like a Hammond Leslie. Which i'm certain, is not what was intended.

To be honest... from my opinion, there should be NO DCA corps marching true straight leg. There's simply not enough time in the season to clean it, build body strength up to a point where bodies don't bounce like rabbits, and the members learn where to allocate the shock of the ground to. It looks like doo doo. Its never clean come finals time for anyone, and it wrecks your body in the process. Get rid of it. Seriously. just... send it wherever we put those ideas for marching tympani. And don't bring it back.

Back to the news... Upper brass has some intonation issues in the 2nd chart. The pit overall, is dirty. Lots of attacks that flammed down there. There are still lots of suspect releases, which is uncharacteristic of this corps. I think they'll have that fixed in two weeks though. And at some times the pit gets louder and plunkier than I would expect.

Right of Spring... was spot on.

The guard's sabres, were AWESOME. Like Samuel L Jackson awesome. "Say what one more time...!"

Whomever's drumline was warming up at this time backfield of the stadium.. (fusion, cabs...etc) you stink. You need to google map you a better warmup place because you ruined this performance. If you don't care, it makes you a terrible human being and you need a punch in a body part i can't speak of in this family show of a website.

​I think the corps ran out of gas tonight in the Bacchanale. Everything to this point was so solid, and then...ZZzzzzzzzzz. Felt like the thanksgiving turkey kicked in during the Cowboys game. There are times when the battery overpowers the horns. I don't think that is intended, but it happens. More often than I expected. The toms sounded tight tonight. The battery overall sounded tight. Cheers to them for minimizing extraneous beats and playing musically. But I think they need to dial it down a little as they wash out the horns at times.

Overall this is another great show from WS. They mix in some pop Alannis Morrisete for good mashup measure, and have a show that really is kind of the epitome of DCA. Entertainment, art, challenge. And they execute it pretty well. Two more weeks this show is going to be wicked.

Their honor guard is always the example of what to be. I think they bring in VFW ringers for it. "we've honored guards before you were even a glimmer in yer daddies eye" Any who, they are proof that you don't need a huge corps to make great impacts and engage an audience. If I still drank, i'd buy them a drink.

C2-Judgement day. Dun dun dun, dun Dunnnnnn. Break out the wodka comrade. We are going to thee Red Square with Meester Chekhov.

I really like this corps' show. This is playing, and moving. That's it. And they are the essence of what drum corps is this year. This was the most completed corps of the night. It was the cleanest, it was the most well played from all sections, and if the people currently judged higher than them aren't careful, this corps is going to be the ninja that sneaks in the window and leaves them face down hidden in the flower beds.

Props to George and his design team for giving his members a show, that isn't a feeder corps show. While Russian Christmas Music might have been something from the old YEA books, or maybe it isn't, it works, and it works really well. For all intensive purposes, this is a DCI show, homer-fied for the DCA masses. Its not so clean it's sterile yet, in fact, its a long way from that, but the best performed show of the night was this corps. This corps also has the most definitive foot style of everyone on the night. Its not always the cleanest, but again, it was the most consistent to where you can tell how they march, and where issues are. good job.

Horns had fantastic releases, and probably the most consistent trumpet line of the night. (see also, least split attacks, and least intonation probs)

Drums you were the first of the night to be noticed fully as great from top to bottom, and this was one of the few corps where the pit sounded blended with the rest of the corps and the amplification wasn't screaming in my face.

Fusion or Cabs or Bucs... your warmup was too close. And again, someone ruined a show. Kindly google yourself into a further warmup place... like Delaware.

Now its not to say there weren't issues. The bari solo had some phrasing/air issues, and the mellos had some split attacks and weirdness overall, rifles had some drops, and guard itself had some phasing. I think they are at a point where individuals are sticking out more so due to the rest of the ensemble becoming so consistent. But I haven't seen them otherwise so I can't really tell until I watch them at finals. The accelerando at the end was rough. So Russian Sailor Dance felt more drunken sailor dance to start. Meester Chekhov put away thee wodka. Feet, phasing...etc etc etc. There wasn't one section not struggling here, but they recovered, and had a pretty solid push to the end of the show. So cheers for recovery.

Incidentally, lady talking on your cell phone behind me. Next time, I'll take that phone and submerge it in my beverage, instead of the "ARE YOU EFFN KIDDING ME?!!!!!" that you received. You shouldn't be calling a restaurant to find out if they're going to be open TOMORROW at 5pm during a show. You've got all of tomorrow morning for that. The mafia guys agreed. And they didn't look the type to be as nice as I was going to be even.

All in all... this show was well designed, and well performed across all sections. I think you should look for this corps to possibly make some changes even to improve that GE. They horns don't ever melt your face off like the Cabs or Bucs, but they do play extremely well and balanced. The guard I think was the sore spot of the night, but again, with two weeks I think they'll fix those issues, or cut those people. idk. Booms...boomed really well, tight, musical, and (minus Sailor dance) drove the car pretty well. Enough for me to watch them at times more than horns and guard. Good job Comrade2. Make some waves.

I'm going to get hate mail over the next three corps.

FusionCore. All Aboard the nucular powered train.

I hate your gauntlets. There is nothing they go with on the uniform, they are the brightest things on the body, and they make the eyes move up from the rest of the ensemble causing the body to fade away and become unnoticeable. Maybe that's what you want. Something to detract from your feet. Because your feet weren't stellar at this show. I don't know. But they also stick out like a sore thumb when so many people have so many different methods of holding their horns. Triangle, sort of triangle, person who lets their elbows come in to compensate, both elbows up flat... etc etc etc. These bright silver gauntlets, against dark bodies and aussies stare right back at you. And they make everyone's upper body look sloppy unless you get them perfect.

That being said, we've got another travel show. From East with NYC, to chicago, to San Fran. With another dead digitized voice. Yknow I don't think this was a good run for Fusion. Or maybe its just a snoozer show. The trumpets and mellis that are usually pretty good for this corps had lots of intonation probs, mellos had individuals sticking out the entire show, and the horns sounded like they were out of breath at the end of the opener. Maybe they are young. I like the charts they picked, just not all together in a show. It feels clunky and the vocals just don't glue it together.

Drums had lots of visuals during the ballad that weren't together, and feet in general, weren't together.

The closer sounded tired, looked tired, and the hornline chops sounded tired and overblown when they got to Hope Led them Home. To be completely honest, I liked Fusion so much last year I bought a shirt from them. Had I seen this show last year I would not have purchased that shirt. It took a lot to keep my attention during this run. Could have been lots of things, youth, tiredness, design... i don't know. But I know this was easily not in my top 5 of the night. Either of performance, or design.

CABS. Unchained.

I generally like you all, and you're normally a hornline I can relate to, and have a show that I think is face melting, but man... i'm going to have to edit this review so you all don't hunt me down. Maybe this was an off night.

I love the unis now that Ive seen them live but I don't like this show. It's a schtick. And it feels like you beat us over the head with the schtick. It feels very uncharacteristic of the corps, the corps didnt feel hokey to me last year, and tonight this all felt hokey. This show feels like you want to emphasize the scthick more than the performance components. And the performance suffers because of it.

Soloists were very not good tonight. Split attacks and rough intonation were common on all soloists. Which is something I'm not used to hearing. Drums were ok, not amazing, just ok. Guard was also ok. I think the work is good, I just think it was a ho hum performance with some crazy visual interactive props. There's so much attempting to be shoved at us, you can't mentally digest it all. Its like you've rolled the whole Old Country Buffet over to my table and just starting spooning stuff onto my plate. I DONT WANT THE MAC N CHEESE, ITS FILLER FOR THE ALL YOU CAN EAT RIBS!!!! seriously, more meat less filler. (that's what she said)

Performance wise feet, were pretty good tonight, and performance posture was also very good. Characterization across the entire corps is performed very well. So we get it. Move to a spot, chain each other up, play, act like a prisoner. Unchain, move, rechain, play, Rinse, Repeat. All the motions of being restricted and secured we get. The idea of being a captive we get. I don't like the plastic looking neon colored chains. They remind me of a playground, and not a prison. When everything else is so dark, and even flag colors are non-neon... these chains look like they don't belong in the world onstage.

Horns overall, were pretty ok. Low brass was full, tubas are still tubaing well, and the baris put out some sound. Overall the brass plays well, and impacts melt your face. Unchained melody needs to be as expressive as anything Santa Clara Vanguard does. And it's close, but it doesnt bring a tear to my eye yet.

Releases were good for the most part, but there's a couple spots where they had a few hangovers. I think the book is pretty challenging, and this is just a different style the corps isn't used to. Its certainly a different style from them than WE are used to seeing/hearing. So it requires some diligence from the performer, as well as the viewer to get used to.

Overall, I think you beat us up with schtick. I was hoping for a small glimpse of Van Halen in there... and got none. sad panda.

BUCS. Twist it. Liiiiiike we did laaaaast summer. Let's twist (it) again, liiiiiiike we diiiiiid last yeaaarrrr.

Someone is going to call me a (insert expletive for this), but I feel like I watched this show last year. Its the same equation of show creation. Mashup music, mashup visual, mashup wardrobe... and more mashup drill. No no... i DID watch this show last year. And nothing surprised me when i watched this.

Break on through, was a great idea. Twist it to Break on thru, feels like what a camry is, to a lexus. Kind of the same, kind of not. Has most of the right parts, but its just not as fancy, or elegant. Its just ok off the assembly line.

Its the most DCI style of shows of everyone that was there tonight. That's not a bad thing, but I think it was over most peoples heads. I have a hard time digesting this because from my standpoint. The music feels like it wants more. But it doesnt get more. Which makes me not want to buy a t-shirt of you.

They do lots of twists visually, with their bodies, and they do lots of horn spin arounds, and there's lot of drill moments where a quadrant of members spins around a point, or does some block drill. (one person replaces the other to their left, that person replaces the person behind them, that person replaces the person to their right, and that person replaces the person forward of them)

They perform this stuff really well. So props to them for that. Feet and posture are ok. Not great yet, but good. I think they've got some DCI people who just came into their ranks because I'm seeing two different backwards slow foot techniques. Some roll back onto their heels letting the toes roll up, and some stay up on platform. Drill, was reasonably clean, and direction changes are solid. There's still lots of personal balance concerns when they are doing dancy dancy irish jiggy types of foot stuff. Looks like a stiff breeze would blow them over.

The opener was really tight tonight. I think that was the highlight. No Wait... the Rocky bit was a great throw in. Only thing it was missing, was a... MONTAGE!! ding ding.

Honestly, there's lots of phasing left to right in the corps, and releases were downright dreadful. Tubas, though full sounding, were just all out of whack and had some players sticking out. I think I could count on one hand the number of releases that didn't have a horn hangover. Actually, i could count on three fingers. Yuck. Even the big backfield company front release was not blown. Someone owes some bus ups for that stuff.

Sorry buccos, I do like you y'all, but I expect more out of you. And I think you should as well. Remember the review game I played last year... "its too late in the season for that". You're verging on that. And if you don't fix this stuff, you're going to be staring at someone elses butts on the ladder above you. Creepers.

Do it for Chubby Checker. Google him if you just went "whooooo....?" Or ask your parents. You were born because of him.

WACKERS. of the Bush type. The shows hosts. They brought everyone together onto one pitch for this weird form of entertainment we all know and love. Thanks for hosting.

First off, they're smaller than last year. I didn't count heads, but they cover way less field space. They've got this industrial rEvolution show.

Wind Ensemble music. Which is good material. I think its about the right level for what looks the ages on the field. They have to perform characterizations of workers, like factory workers, and I don't buy it. They just don't embody the people they are emulating. Hammering, using giant wrenches and bugs bunny style oversized levers... they don't grab me with it. But they've got a couple more weeks. A little time in front of a mirror will help.

I think this year's show is dialed back a bit from last year in terms of toughness. The drill looks simpler. Foot technique is pretty inconsistent. I don't see that cleaning up in two weeks. But I do see them cleaning impacts and fixing balance concerns. Their pit at one point felt like it was overpowering the horns and melting my face.

The opener is played really well balanced and full. After that I think they ran out of gas. Air support went south, and so did body posture. They still have holes, so if you are looking to march, I'd suggest contact them. High brass chops got, well, choppy, after the second chart. so when they got to the Enigma Variations, centered tones started to become rare. They have a small brass ensemble feature that will be cool, and lyrically wonderful, but they are going to need to build up some stamina for it. They had an amazing release at the end of the ballad that really rang in the stadium. Man, they need to channel that listening and energy into the rest of the show. Top shelf!

They have some horn members who can't hold up their horns. Which in august... well... ITS TOO LATE IN THE SEASON FOR THAT!. seriously. Do some pushups and get it together. Every time you fidget holding a horn, we see a flash of light, which makes you, the performer, a beacon of tick.

There is also a moment, that when the factory day ends, they take hats off, as in a big WHEWWWWW... but it just doesn't hit. It lacks that impact and release. Again, this is an acting moment, and its not being sold. It seems like a small moment because it's quiet, but it's a big impact, and performers dont seem to get it. As someone who's worn a hardhat on the jobsite, there's no greater feeling than taking it off at 5pm. Someone get these performers to a coal mine! boom. problem solved. They earn tour fees, we get coal, they get the character sample they need. You're welcome America!

I will say that their effects are great. Good quality, they are a good volume, and have enough resonance that they feel like they are on the field and not through a speaker. Thanks for that.

Percussion is just not what it was last season. I remember being thrilled by them, and this year... I didn't even notice them. They were just kinda there.

Yknow I like this show, or at least the idea of it. But I don't think its being sold. Push it 'wackers. Only two weeks left til you cut that video.

Incidently, it was a great moment to hear you all play your corps song. Something we outsiders don't always get to experience. So that was a treat. Thanks.

Scores... i'm not going over that malarky with you. I was busy getting ice cream at the truck. You can go look at dca.gov to find those. or is it .org... whatever.

Fran is an amazing face for radio. I mean voice. Voice for radio, and he does a great job at getting the corps on and off the field. Cheers to him for being a pinnacle of the activity, and a familiar face in an activity evolving at the speed of japanese technology.

Al Chez... your band didn't need that much amplification. I love ya bud, but it was overkill. But y'all groove pretty well. I hope I can see you onstage sometime. I miss Dave Letterman already.

Overall, the cost of a ticket, gas, and tolls up and back, this was a worthwhile show to see. I'm not sure how anyone else's experience was. I read there was parking issues, but hell. I found a spot on the street. So I'll call this a good show to experience. Its late enough that much of the forms are clean enough to watch, musical dirt is getting to a minimum, and stylistically most corps had it rolling. So come to this show next year.

But save me a seat.

See you all online for Finals. Unless you want to come over to my house, bring some wings.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 3

I felt like I was watching an episode of Beavis and Butt-head reading this review.

:crazy:

• Like 1

Always a wild ride, Chris! I enjoy it.

So, let's spit it ALL out. Given that the three highest placing corps you saw live at Clifton have flaws and obvious work to do, which of the three corps has the best framework to win? Neither you, nor I will be in Rochester, so it's all subject to change in ways we could never know from our living room.

Come on, man . . . . you can do this!

Thanks gents.

My thoughts... as always I don't feel good giving a top 5 without seeing MBi. Because numbers here vs numbers there mean nothing.

History tells me that the Buccos will put a little captain in them, light a fire under it, and clean all that gak that I listed.

But the Cabs could steal this one, however i don't see it.

C2 is already tight. And if they can up those impacts I think they also can do something surprising.

Can anyone out there send me a private video (sounds dirty... right?) of MBi?

I would call Bucs/Cabs at 1 and 3. Because to be NoBS honest, these shows feel like you could swap the corps into each of them, and you'd come out with the same product. Seriously. These shows' style feels so close it just made each other lose prospective impacts. And they're either going to put their nose to the grindstone, and fix the brass problems (attacks/releases) and they feet, or they're going to continue misuse their practice time at home these next two weeks and just stay status quo.

I do think C2 has very little to tweak in terms of show design. But I do think they (and their staff) have the drive and abilities to do a 24 hour, drag out, bare knuckles fight club (never talk about fight club) couple of practices and do a revamp on something, as well as clean that accelerando, AND pump up the impacts to become face melters to nail a solid #2. And if the historical Bride and Bridesmaids (Bucs/Cabs) have a slip up, then people may go nuts and we'll something entirely different at the top.

This activity and its system are known for rewarding historical achievement. Yeah, they aren't supposed to, but they do. Which means someone has to come out with Swarzenegger and a couple of very large guns blazing to steal the King's (or Queens, whatever your preference) crown.

MBi made some waves last year. Having not seen them, and no, I don't trust their 91 way off in Minnesoooootah.. Its possible that had that been over here, it could be a 93, or it could be an 89. So we've no idea... which is what makes this specific branch of this activity so intriguing. You literally have no idea whats going to happen.

I will be happy to make a call after prelims, or if someone sends me an MBi video like they did last year, (or at least a recording) I'll make one as soon as I see it.

I think C2 has the best chance to make impactful changes, without messing up anything else currently to know your socks off.

I think history says the buccos will repeat UNLESS, Cabs find some magic cleaning/playing dust, or MBi brings some midwestern flare (that's an oxymoron if I've ever typed one) that silences the drunks in Sausage Stadium.

Being honest- that was a really disjunct eval/review. ADHD much?

Wow!

I guess I was at a different show apparently.

Yeah. My reviews tend to throw a lot at you. I think it comes from my scribbling pages of notes, and trying to edit it all down into something that's not pages of notes to read. And then I just can't take more than a day or two to spend editing it into something digestible. So you get a short ride, in a fast machine. (there's a joke in there somewhere)

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2

Great review as always Chris! I wasn't able to make it to Clifton, but based on what I've seen so far, I agree with some, disagree with some, but your take is always a great read. Bummer we didn't cross paths this summer, but I'm glad to see you're still diggin' what DCA's offerin' :smile:

Thanks bud. We're all going to see different things. Heck, the 7 people with voice recorders see different things from each other.

I like DCA, but I think it feels like this year is a "panic mode" year for the corps and organizations. (just from what i've seen online and reviews I've read, added onto what I saw last night) Like they saw the amount of kids heading to DCI and are attempting to lure them to DCA in any way possible. Shows that aren't feasible (cleanable) for the timelines, content that is crammed in until the fields burst and the normal homers are confused to the point of exile... etc etc etc.

• Like 2

Thank you, Chris. Didn't mean to put you on the spot (yes I did). I'll offer these thoughts about Rochester. First of all, I agree none of us can make too much out of MB's score. But, given their history, I do expect them to fall somewhere 1-4. Toss-up between Cabs and Cadets2. I get the feeling Kidsgrove will land at 5. Now, for the win . . . .

Remember, I'm not a musician. I believe Bucs have a decided edge visually and will be surprised if they don't take all captions related to that. They should be 1-2 in all things brass, and 1-3 in all things percussion. That should be enough to carry Bucs to the win. But, as we saw last year, fear the unexpected.

Some wonderful drama all up and down the entire line!