New Mercedes Benz (ATL) Stadium

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/gwcca-board-discusses-dome-demolition-new-stadium/nZ28D/

And take a look at the video simulation at the top of this thread, and look for the Georgia Dome, which is right next door to the new stadium site.

Hmm, buried it in a story hardly anyone read all the way through. Good move.

Such doubters on Domes. The Georgia Dome acoustics are wonderful.

Until it rains, at least... :ninja:

• Like 2

The site the Georgia Dome sits on will likely become a new hotel (800-1,200 room) that is connected to the GWCC. This is still in the very early planning stages so many renderings show the current Dome site a parking lot which it may be for some time until they are ready to go to construction. The GA Dome will come down after the 2016 NFL season though I think this will be a fairly lengthy process given the proximity to the new stadium, the GWCC (lots of glass!), and the MARTA train that runs underground very close to the GA Dome.

There is an agreement between the State of GA (who manages the current GA Dome) and the Falcons (manager of new stadium) that they must host the 'GA Dome Legacy Events'. This includes Monster Jam, Supercross, SEC Football Championship, Chick-fil-A Bowl, and others. I have not been able to find out if this includes the DCI Southeastern Regional (or the Bands of America Regional also held at the GA Dome every fall).

The new stadium will also be the home stadium for the new Atlanta major league soccer team. Their schedule (along with the Falcons obviously) take precedent over all other events.

I hope the Falcons see the value of the DCI event which brings in just under 20K in attendance and concession sales for a quick event (one move-in day, one event day with no additional move-out day).

[quote name="chadwick" post="3497957" timestamp="

There is an agreement between the State of GA (who manages the current GA Dome) and the Falcons (manager of new stadium) that they must host the 'GA Dome Legacy Events'. This includes Monster Jam, Supercross, SEC Football Championship, Chick-fil-A Bowl, and others. I have not been able to find out if this includes the DCI Southeastern Regional (or the Bands of America Regional also held at the GA Dome every fall).

It does not include DCI. And costs may prohibit use.

Edited by CACTSC
  • Like 1

[quote name="chadwick" post="3497957" timestamp="

It does not include DCI. And costs may prohibit use.

I live in Atlanta and think the new stadium is a ridiculous waste of money. If DCI is ran out of town without a venue to perform in I will be beyond livid. Hopefully this won't be the case.

• Like 2

...I hope the Falcons see the value of the DCI event which brings in just under 20K in attendance and concession sales for a quick event (one move-in day, one event day with no additional move-out day).

It's actually just a one day deal, because DCI doesn't start moving into the Dome until the morning of the event.

I live in Atlanta and think the new stadium is a ridiculous waste of money. If DCI is ran out of town without a venue to perform in I will be beyond livid. Hopefully this won't be the case.

DCI will have a venue, if they choose to use it. Ga Tech will take any event if you're willing to give them some money. The problem will be logistics... there is NOT enough room down there for all the buses and trucks.

I also live in Atlanta and think the new stadium is a massive boondoggle.

It's a perfect example of using leverage. Blank told the city he'd go to the suburbs if they didn't pony up for a new stadium. The city blinked. Likewise, the Braves saw the writing on the wall and took off for Marietta knowing the city was committing all their money to football.

DCI will have a venue, if they choose to use it. Ga Tech will take any event if you're willing to give them some money. The problem will be logistics... there is NOT enough room down there for all the buses and trucks.

Another possibility, although a bit far from ATL, is Sanford Stadium at UGA. Same story, though - not a whole lot of room for the busses and trucks.

And if it weren't for the fact that it's monsoon season there in late July, I would propose moving the regional to Orlando - either the recently renovated Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium or the newer, yet more intimate Bright House Networks Stadium at UCF.