New Mercedes Benz (ATL) Stadium

Another possibility, although a bit far from ATL, is Sanford Stadium at UGA. Same story, though - not a whole lot of room for the busses and trucks.

And if it weren't for the fact that it's monsoon season there in late July, I would propose moving the regional to Orlando - either the recently renovated Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium or the newer, yet more intimate Bright House Networks Stadium at UCF.

There is no way UGA athletics would allow two dozen drum corps to march on that grass a few weeks before fall football practice started. They would be able to pack 40,000 people in there though! That place is enormous.

Where did you see that? I haven't heard anything about the GWCC agreeing to tear it down.

Are there ANY cities where a new football stadium was built and the old one was left standing?

I think that's a pretty cool-looking stadium. I wouldn't mind seeing a drum corps show in there.

Are there ANY cities where a new football stadium was built and the old one was left standing?

I think that's a pretty cool-looking stadium. I wouldn't mind seeing a drum corps show in there.

Houston's Astrodome is -- rather amazingly -- still clinging to life.

However, the Georgia Dome has long been reported to be demolished when the new stadium is finished. See Wikipedia (below) and a quick google search will bring up tons of articles about that...

Replacement[edit]
Main article: Mercedes-Benz Stadium

It was announced in 2010 that the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, the stadium's operator, is pursuing a new stadium with a retractable roof, to the south of the Georgia Dome. Upon completion of Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2017, the Georgia Dome will be demolished to make way for parking to the new stadium.

• Like 1

DCI will have a venue, if they choose to use it. Ga Tech will take any event if you're willing to give them some money. The problem will be logistics... there is NOT enough room down there for all the buses and trucks.

Bobby Dodd Stadium hosted the DCI Championships back in 1984. I know things were different back then but perhaps they could figure out a place for all the buses nowadays.

Houston's Astrodome is -- rather amazingly -- still clinging to life.

However, the Georgia Dome has long been reported to be demolished when the new stadium is finished. See Wikipedia (below) and a quick google search will bring up tons of articles about that...

Replacement[edit]
Main article: Mercedes-Benz Stadium

It was announced in 2010 that the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, the stadium's operator, is pursuing a new stadium with a retractable roof, to the south of the Georgia Dome. Upon completion of Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2017, the Georgia Dome will be demolished to make way for parking to the new stadium.

Sorry to get off topic, but I just noticed in your sig that you marched Madison in 94 thru 96 and I have to say that I LOVED ALL THREE of those shows!

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Sorry to get off topic, but I just noticed in your sig that you marched Madison in 94 thru 96 and I have to say that I LOVED ALL THREE of those shows!

So did I, except maybe trying to get the ensemble together in Bolero in the beginning (well, probably, beginning, middle, and maybe up until finals week) of the season...We might not have been quite as proficient at playing together while spread over the entire field as corps today are...

I believe Detroit did. Ford Field is where the Lions play but the old Pontiac Silverdome is still standing. Albiet the roof collapsed a few years ago if I recall.

Bobby Dodd Stadium hosted the DCI Championships back in 1984. I know things were different back then but perhaps they could figure out a place for all the buses nowadays.

Where did DCI stage and park everyone around the Ga Dome? If it was the GWCC marshalling yard, that's almost the same distance from the dome as Grant Field is, but I don't think they could walk to the stadium from there because of the railroad tracks and the residential area in between.

The new Atlanta stadium design is ... interesting. It looks cool, but there seem to be a lot of trade-offs for accommodating a circular structure. The seating looks really odd. Wouldn't be surprised if there were sight line headaches. I also think retractable roofs tend to be a gigantic waste of money. If they end up frequently opening the roof, cool. Otherwise it's just another expensive add-on that makes the stadium look like a ...uh ... certain part of the rear end.

I'll reserve judgement once it's actually completed. The overall design is unique but not obnoxiously asymmetrical. I also like the idea of there being a convention center built in, like what the Georgia Dome currently has. I wish more stadiums did this, as opposed to being just a standalone structure.

That being said, this arms race of NFL owners/governments building the most expensive and garish stadiums is getting out of hand.

I believe Detroit did. Ford Field is where the Lions play but the old Pontiac Silverdome is still standing. Albiet the roof collapsed a few years ago if I recall.

Indeed. The city of Pontiac got royally screwed. This is what they're left with ...

abandoned-silverdome-detroit-06-1024x673