New Mercedes Benz (ATL) Stadium

A couple of things gleaned from the reports coming out of today's media day at Mercedes Benz Stadium:

Concession prices will actually be very reasonable! For instance:
Hot Dogs - $2
Bottled Water - $2
Popcorn - 2
French Fries - $3
Nachos - $3
Soft Drinks - $2 with unlimited refills!
Specialty items such as Mongolian beef, barbecued brisket sandwiches and hand-breaded chicken sandwiches will all be less than $10.
For events that allow beer sales, a 20 ounce domestic beer is $7, and 20 ounce craft beers are $9.

I also heard that for Atlanta United soccer games, they have large blackout curtains that they will use to block off the upper deck, so I would guess that some of those curtains could also be used for sound buffers at a DCI regional.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that DCI was at Georgia Tech in 1984.  Everyone survived.  ;-) 

True story: Spirit's buses in the mid-80s were such pieces of crap that one of them broke down on the drive home from finals in 1984. Home (the bingo hall) was only 6 miles from the stadium. But as crappy as those 1953 buses were, they were OUR buses and we were proud of them! (Well, sort of, LOL!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wigwam said:

Why not move it to Wake Forest in Winston Salem NC?   Nightbeat there was awesome, great facility and plenty of room for buses and trucks. 

You mean RainBeat? NotBeat? That event has around a 40% cancel rate historically. Sometimes for lightening, other times rain. Doesn't matter if it's the old Irmo event, Veterans Memorial, Rock Hill District Stadium, or WFU. That's an unreasonable weekend to be outside in the Carolinas. 

That said, it ran perfectly this year. 

13 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

True story: Spirit's buses in the mid-80s were such pieces of crap that one of them broke down on the drive home from finals in 1984. Home (the bingo hall) was only 6 miles from the stadium. But as crappy as those 1953 buses were, they were OUR buses and we were proud of them! (Well, sort of, LOL!)

I can identify with the bus breakdown stories.   We rode school buses.  In August.  In Texas.  :blink:

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I can identify with the bus breakdown stories.   We rode school buses.  In August.  In Texas.  :blink:

When Spirit bought our buses in the early 80s, only one of the four buses had a working air conditioner. We immediately disabled the A/C on that bus, just for the sake of fairness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Okay, confession time. I always looked forward to shows with the Guardsmen for two reasons. I always enjoyed their shows. And I knew we wouldn't have the worst buses in the lot. :) Seriously, though, I always admired Guardsmen for touring on school buses.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 3:55 PM, Jothcra said:

Georgia State University bought Turner Field and just finished phase one of converting it to a football stadium with brand new FieldTurf. For a drum corps show, this stadium could easily hold 12-15k in good viewing locations for the front of the field.

Listed phase one capacity is 25k but that doesn't include the upper deck seats. Actual physical capacity right now is in the neighborhood of 35k, 40k if you include the "orphaned" upper and mid deck seats behind the visitors sideline. The picture below shows the lower and middle bowls.

The stadium has nearly 50 premium suites (about half of which would be ideal for a drum corps show) and a premium hospitality space in the north endzone. A video/tv booth has been constructed in the suite level right on the 50 yard line.

GSU's marching band annually has a sizable contingent of members marching in DCI/DCA. The marching band director was a soloist with the Cadets in the late 90s and regularly judges DCI shows across the country.

This stadium hosted the 1996 Olympic Games and countless baseball games between 1997-2016. Not to mention over 6,000 parking spaces in the immediate vicinity with excellent vehicle access...

lQMY1HK.jpg

georgia-state-stadium-petit-field_150221

P2VbVaC.png

i choose this