New Mercedes Benz (ATL) Stadium

59 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

Okay, confession time. I always looked forward to shows with the Guardsmen for two reasons. I always enjoyed their shows. And I knew we wouldn't have the worst buses in the lot. :) Seriously, though, I always admired Guardsmen for touring on school buses.

My group of friends all bought Spirit shirts in '78.  We got into some trouble for wearing them and they made some rule that you couldn't wear other corps shirts.  Always the rebels, we told everyone to wear another corps shirt to rehearsal on Monday.  We sent the one guy home to change who didn't have one on.  :laughing::bluedevil:  One guy wore the classic SCV shield shirt and wrote "future member" over the shield in ballpoint pen.  We were bad LOLOL 

Back then, it seemed like they were flush with cash because a few of us got a tour of the swanky buses....well, swanky by school bus standards.  :laughing:

Edited by Terri Schehr

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

My group of friends all bought Spirit shirts in '78.  We got into some trouble for wearing them and they made some rule that you couldn't wear other corps shirts.  Always the rebels, we told everyone to wear another corps shirt to rehearsal on Monday.  We sent the one guy home to change who didn't have one on.  :laughing::bluedevil:  One guy wore the classic SCV shield shirt and wrote "future member" over the shield in ballpoint pen.  We were bad LOLOL 

Back then, it seemed like they were flush with cash because a few of us got a tour of the swanky buses....well, swanky by school bus standards.  :laughing:

Hell, in 1977 most Spirit members wore t-shirts from other corps pretty much all the time. At least half (and probably more like 70 or 80 percent) of the 1977 Spirit of  Atlanta had never seen a drum corps show live before we "entered the field in competition" at Wheeling, Ill. on June 26. Our score that night was 10 points behind the Guardsmen, but we were tickled pink because we beat SOMEONE (Colts, by just under a point).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

Hell, in 1977 most Spirit members wore t-shirts from other corps pretty much all the time. At least half (and probably more like 70 or 80 percent) of the 1977 Spirit of  Atlanta had never seen a drum corps show live before we "entered the field in competition" at Wheeling, Ill. on June 26. Our score that night was 10 points behind the Guardsmen, but we were tickled pink because we beat SOMEONE (Colts, by just under a point).

Yeah, well you came on strong in '78.  There was no doubt. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, well you came on strong in '78.  There was no doubt. 

I just hope you didn't see (or more importantly HEAR) our debut performance that night, when side one and side two horns somehow managed to get about four counts off early in the opener. But I'm pretty sure we were on first, sparing your ears the painful agony since you were probably in warm-up or not even at the stadium yet.

2 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

I just hope you didn't see (or more importantly HEAR) our debut performance that night, when side one and side two horns somehow managed to get about four counts off early in the opener. But I'm pretty sure we were on first, sparing your ears the painful agony since you were probably in warm-up or not even at the stadium yet.

Everyone has to start somewhere.  Spirit is still going.  The Guardsmen are just a "remember when" conversation.   It's commendable. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DCPusername said:

You mean RainBeat? NotBeat? That event has around a 40% cancel rate historically. Sometimes for lightening, other times rain. Doesn't matter if it's the old Irmo event, Veterans Memorial, Rock Hill District Stadium, or WFU. That's an unreasonable weekend to be outside in the Carolinas. 

That said, it ran perfectly this year. 

Not really accurate.  In 30 years NightBEAT has been rained out 5 times - 91, 98, 03, 11 and 16.  With that said however, July & August weather in the south are always a dicey proposition.  Indeed this year's weather was absolutely the best.

• Like 1

Just now, joe mama said:

Not really accurate.  In 30 years NightBEAT has been rained out 5 times - 91, 98, 03, 11 and 16.  With that said however, July & August weather in the south are always a dicey proposition.  Indeed this year's weather was absolutely the best.

DCI got lucky that weekend with such great weather for NightBEAT on Sunday as well as stellar weather for McEachern on Saturday, especially considering how abnormally rainy this summer has been in Atlanta.

8 minutes ago, joe mama said:

I'm going next year so let's order up some good weather!  I was at the 91 rainout. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

On 8/17/2017 at 9:57 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that DCI was at Georgia Tech in 1984.  Everyone survived.  ;-) 

I was a student at Georgia Tech in the summer of 1984 ... my dorm was right across the street from Grant Field.  And I barely survived ... but that's a whole other story that has nothing to do with Drum Corps.

• Like 1