DCI Live! final season thoughts?

I watched most of the summer using WiFi and my Chromecast and had very few hiccups, which is much better than before. I found that if I delayed the broadcast by about 5 seconds there was virtually no problem. I wasn't fond of having to plan my weeks around being home for drum corps (we've all gotten used to DVRing everything), but since my son was marching, I couldn't afford to travel to the shows & I still wanted to see the progress. I think the price is very fair, even without the DVR option. I paid $65 for my ticket in San Antonio (the one show I was able to attend live), so for less than the price of two shows, I got to see every regional & finals - totally worth it.

• Like 1

This was my first go at the live broadcast. I was expecting the same product that had been offered in years past through the FanNetwork. It was interesting that there was no clearly defined indication about what the product was or when it was to be offered. Information changed day to day, especially the two weeks before the kickoff.

I don't feel that it was 720p based on my stream, even though it said it was the highest quality. There's no way to verify this though. I only had 3 or 4 glitches throughout, but I only watched probably 50% of the shows offered. The glitches were really minor and didn't require any kind of computer interference.

The sound was variable, with Allentown providing the least favorable transmission. don't know why though. Still it was decent.

Somebody mentioned the commercials that are played immediately after login. That was terrible. There's a way to add-on to your browser to eliminate these, but I never did it so I don't know how. Google that %$%# if y'anto...

I still don't know if I'll sign up for next year, because of the having to be there at the time of performances. I couldn't be there for so many and I might not next year either. That would be the main factor for me.

Part of me wants to boycott until the archives/VOD options come back - if they ever come back.

I wonder why they dropped that feature; AFAIR this was a feature of the service almost from the beginning of live video streaming.

I wonder if it was maybe not possible with the streaming service they contracted with, if they were playing things uber safe with copy right issues, etc. I'd love to hear a reason from DCI for not offering that so I could at least understand their reasoning

I wonder why they dropped that feature; AFAIR this was a feature of the service almost from the beginning of live video streaming.

I wonder if it was maybe not possible with the streaming service they contracted with, if they were playing things uber safe with copy right issues, etc. I'd love to hear a reason from DCI for not offering that so I could at least understand their reasoning

See any one of the numerous threads about copyrights. It was a rights issue that prohibited them from providing the service.

See any one of the numerous threads about copyrights. It was a rights issue that prohibited them from providing the service.

Do we know that for sure? I don't doubt you, it's easy to guess that's the reason; I'm just curious if DCI has formally stated that was the reason for the change. In the spring/early summer when I was paying attention more I thought DCI's communication was a bit spotty and vague and I don't recall them being that forthcoming with information. I stopped following the situation once the season started so it's possible I missed DCI's statement

Do we know that for sure? I don't doubt you, it's easy to guess that's the reason; I'm just curious if DCI has formally stated that was the reason for the change. In the spring/early summer when I was paying attention more I thought DCI's communication was a bit spotty and vague and I don't recall them being that forthcoming with information. I stopped following the situation once the season started so it's possible I missed DCI's statement

oh Dan A said so in the preseason telecast where he was interviewed. sadly, his interview was probably the most forthright DCi has been about all of it, and was never published anywhere.