Shows you didn't care for at the time

Repeating myself: Star 1993 has a huge cult following now---mainly by "younger" fans who never had to sit through it live. I saw that show at DCI North, Preview of Champs (2x) and Jackson, MS (3x). The Barber parts were compelling; the Bartok just stunk. Audiences never warmed up to it. At least those at those six BIG shows. How that corps swept GE Brass in Jackson stymies me and is a perfect example of why ticket sales dropped drastically during the 90s. How don't care if Barber and Bartok wrote the ###### show themselves---it was NOT compelling to its audience. Oh wait... they threw in a fast, furious, tonal two-minute finale to generate applause.

I'll always carry a grudge to Jim Mason and all those designers & staffers for using that show to flip us (the paying audience) the bird after we cheered them dropping to 3rd w/ their pandering "patriotic" 1992 show. Nobody will ever convince me that wasn't their entire motive for '93.

BD 2012 was literally a show meant to sound bad to our ears. I don't think Star 1993 was an attempt to #### off fans.

Repeating myself: Star 1993 has a huge cult following now---mainly by "younger" fans who never had to sit through it live. I saw that show at DCI North, Preview of Champs (2x) and Jackson, MS (3x). The Barber parts were compelling; the Bartok just stunk. Audiences never warmed up to it. At least those at those six BIG shows. How that corps swept GE Brass in Jackson stymies me and is a perfect example of why ticket sales dropped drastically during the 90s. How don't care if Barber and Bartok wrote the ###### show themselves---it was NOT compelling to its audience. Oh wait... they threw in a fast, furious, tonal two-minute finale to generate applause.

I'll always carry a grudge to Jim Mason and all those designers & staffers for using that show to flip us (the paying audience) the bird after we cheered them dropping to 3rd w/ their pandering "patriotic" 1992 show. Nobody will ever convince me that wasn't their entire motive for '93.

Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think! Actually, I also saw 93 Star live at DCI North, Preview, and Finals week. I loved the show then ... love it now. And, I loved BD 2012 from the start. I guess I am an outlier.

• Like 2

Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think! Actually, I also saw 93 Star live at DCI North, Preview, and Finals week. I loved the show then ... love it now. And, I loved BD 2012 from the start. I guess I am an outlier.

I never hold back.

(Cappybara): "BD 2012 was literally a show meant to sound bad to our ears. I don't think Star 1993 was an attempt to #### off fans."

In 1991 at Preview of Champions, the loudest BOOING I've ever heard came when the Cavies were announced in 2nd to Star (after finishing TWO POINTS behind in prelims). Roman Festivals was fairly accessible in terms of music (and much demand/nice writing for the judges)---more than Belshazaar's Feast. Star went on to win DCI that year. SO...to "make nice" with everybody, Star did the 1992 patriotic show. It was received the same way Cadets were with their mess last year: they dropped to third in Finals, and the crowd went absolutely APE$HIT. (Granted, Star '92 had a bad Finals performance... there are marchers seen out of step on the video in their final company front. Out of step!!!) SO...the attitude was, "Pi$$ on the fans. We tried to make nice, and you still didn't care. So we're going out with a bang." Jurassic Lancer, that's great that you liked it. I remember that year like it was yesterday; those crowds did not. The judges loved all that Philip Burton movement crap, but all it did was alienate the one-show-a-year ticket buyers. Great color guard, though.

Edited by Tad_MMA

In 1991 at Preview of Champions, the loudest BOOING I've ever heard came when the Cavies were announced in 2nd to Star (after finishing TWO POINTS behind in prelims). Roman Festivals was fairly accessible in terms of music (and much demand/nice writing for the judges)---more than Belshazaar's Feast. Star went on to win DCI that year. SO...to "make nice" with everybody, Star did the 1992 patriotic show. It was received the same way Cadets were with their mess last year: they dropped to third in Finals, and the crowd went absolutely APE$HIT. (Granted, Star '92 had a bad Finals performance... there are marchers seen out of step on the video in their final company front. Out of step!!!) SO...the attitude was, "Pi$$ on the fans. We tried to make nice, and you still didn't care. So we're going out with a bang." Jurassic Lancer, that's great that you liked it. I remember that year like it was yesterday; those crowds did not. The judges loved all that Philip Burton movement crap, but all it did was alienate the one-show-a-year ticket buyers. Great color guard, though.

How much of the fans disdain towards Star in those years were do to their shows or was some of it because the corps had Bill Cooks check book?

• Like 1

How much of the fans disdain towards Star in those years were do to their shows or was some of it because the corps had Bill Cooks check book?

Both, I'm sure. They did start out VERY fan-friendly. They were so beloved with their Disney show... the next two were frought with overspending on props, so by the time they became serious about their music, the seed of "too rich" was already sown. Really, what did SCV do differently than that this year? They certainly didn't spend money on marching/brass techs. It was on light bulbs and bigger trucks in which to haul all that stuff. But I guess $anta Clara gets a free pass...

For some reason 2013 bluecoats didn't really stick with me at the time but i re-watched it and was surprised I didn't really like it at the time. I'm a very patriotic person but i don't really like america themed shows. I'm probably going to say the same about 14 cadets in a year or two.

Really, what did SCV do differently than that this year? They certainly didn't spend money on marching/brass techs. It was on light bulbs and bigger trucks in which to haul all that stuff. But I guess $anta Clara gets a free pass...

I was really surprised when Garfield's thread on 990's showed how much money they had. Too bad some corps doesn't take the initiative to relocate where they can run a bingo.

See Bill.Cook's 'Recollections of Star of Indiana,' especially the section entitled 'Jim Masons psyche in 1992.'

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.arts.marching.drumcorps/CHQnHgE42vQ

"Jim Mason's psyche in 1992

For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show

was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was

a hostile crowd. At that time, he decided to explore

different directions. His frustrations led him to the 1993

Medea program be cause he wanted to give the organization a

vehicle where they would be in control of their performance

from beginning to end. Looking back at Medea, there were no

opportunities for the audience to react until the show was

over. This concept made some of the audience uncomfortable

and created even more controversy. I guess that was Jim's

vengeance."

At the audience's expense. We don't travel across the country to pay for shows where participants see us as nothing more than a hissy fit. You know, even Marc Sylvester said it on TV in 1991 as the Cadets' drill writer: "...those moments that are uncomfortable to you? Grab onto them; those are the best ones." No, they're not. Cadets went from a "safe" show (1990, 1st place) to those "uncomfortable moments" to 1992's GE-winning, audience-loving 2nd place show. If those are truly the "best ones," why sandwich them between shows with comfort?