Do you have any cool drum corps show concepts or innovations?

I guess this is similar to asking about show ideas but was more looking for different concepts for shows. I really liked what Bloo did with Tilt. Very conceptual with the music and "special effects" to match. I liked what SCV did back in 2003(?) on a show called Pathways. A very simple concept that I thought was really effective.

I can't wait for a show to be done in the dark with the performers wearing glow-in-the-dark clothing. Pinks, yellows, greens, tape glow-sticks to their uniforms, along the arms, legs, down the torso, and maybe a small one on the cap.

It doesn't have to be the entire show, but 30-60 seconds of it would blow my mind.

Would only really work in an indoor place with the lights off...and I doubt LOS would ever agree to that one. But if they did.....

Lighting is definitely the next frontier in show design. An idea I have is to construct some large sort of structure which has its own roof and would cast shade on the field. The underside of the roof can be outfitted with theatrical lights, and a separate spotlight from the pit would help. It wouldn't create absolute darkness, but would hopefully block enough stadium light so that the more intricate schemes can come through. I imagine corps would have to assemble and erect the structure quickly..... until DCI votes to have a standard version present at every show, or every big show. The activity is more and more theatrical and it is only a matter of time until lighting is part of the viewing experience, in my opinion.

I can't wait for a show to be done in the dark with the performers wearing glow-in-the-dark clothing. Pinks, yellows, greens, tape glow-sticks to their uniforms, along the arms, legs, down the torso, and maybe a small one on the cap.

It doesn't have to be the entire show, but 30-60 seconds of it would blow my mind.

Would only really work in an indoor place with the lights off...and I doubt LOS would ever agree to that one. But if they did.....

Don Warren, founder of the Cavaliers; Kevin Smith, founder of Carolina Crown; J. Clarke Williams, Visual judge; and Gene Monterastelli, Visual expert, former judge, and chair of the Jim Jones Drum Major aspect of DCI - may all want to speak with you.

Besides drum corps, all four have in common that their professional career is Insurance!

And Kevin Smith's field there is Risk Management (trampolines, black holes, strangling scrims, and such...

They have some money issues that they want to discuss. :shutup:

Don Warren, founder of the Cavaliers; Kevin Smith, founder of Carolina Crown; J. Clarke Williams, Visual judge; and Gene Monterastelli, Visual expert, former judge, and chair of the Jim Jones Drum Major aspect of DCI - may all want to speak with you.

Besides drum corps, all four have in common that their professional career is Insurance!

And Kevin Smith's field there is Risk Management (trampolines, black holes, strangling scrims, and such...

They have some money issues that they want to discuss. :shutup:

And the drum judge on the field represents an insurance agent's wet dream (if you ask the insurance agents and/or the group that wants the drum judge up in the box).

:tounge2:

And the drum judge on the field represents an insurance agent's wet dream (if you ask the insurance agents and/or the group that wants the drum judge up in the box).

:tounge2:

Garfield,

Elsewhere on DCP you postured that you are applying to be a DCI percussion judge (maybe even trialling already?)

Has your insurance agent examined your physical exercise stamina, hurdling and pole-vaulting readiness, ability to drop and do push-ups with one hand while maintaining tape recorder and clipboard and passing Crown's dropped snare back to the drummer with the other (or helping to lift up the BD drummer who tripped at Indy)???

Your public needs to know whether you have an agenda of moving to the comfort of the box or proving to your son that you are still young, physically fit, and agile???

While you prepare your answer, I will try to prepare mine today for the posts that Guardling, yourself, Mr. Ream, Cixel, and others have raised in the meaty conversation on the other thread..

Edited by xandandl

Garfield,

Elsewhere on DCP you postured that you are applying to be a DCI percussion judge (maybe even trialling already?)

Has your insurance agent examined your physical exercise stamina, hurdling and pole-vaulting readiness, ability to drop and do push-ups with one hand while maintaining tape recorder and clipboard and passing Crown's dropped snare back to the drummer with the other (or helping to lift up the BD drummer who tripped at Indy)???

Your public needs to know whether you have an agenda of moving to the comfort of the box or proving to your son that you are still young, physically fit, and agile???

While you prepare your answer, I will try to prepare mine today for the posts that Guardling, yourself, Mr. Ream, Cixel, and others have raised in the meaty conversation on the other thread..

Huh? Where the heck did I say this? :wacko:

I am in no way qualified to even clean the drums of today's drum corps. I wouldn't think of standing in a line with them, let alone judging them.

My son is impressed with many things about me but one of them is not my playing ability; I admitted to him months ago that he surpassed my ability about a year ago. At 15 he's light-years ahead of where I was as a player at his age.

I think I could take lessons from Jeff P for weeks and I'd likely still get nailed by a flag or tuba or bass drum.

I don't have a "public" except those who pay me to do my job on one of my other three screens.

Seriously, did I give you the impression that I wanted to be a drum judge? Where?

Now, my brother, he's a field judge and Mom would have been proud...

Spoken word.

Werd. tDRaj04.jpg

• Like 1

Lighting is definitely the next frontier in show design

Yup.