Stirring the pot !

[q...Has a DCA corps ever won the championship (after 1965) without first placing third or better?

1986 Bushwackers. Finals was the first DCA show they had ever won, let alone a top 3 Finals placement.

CorpsReps shows them in 3rd place in 84.

• Like 1

[q...Has a DCA corps ever won the championship (after 1965) without first placing third or better?

1986 Bushwackers. Finals was the first DCA show they had ever won, let alone a top 3 Finals placement.

3rd in 84

Has a DCA corps ever won the championship (after 1965) without first placing third or better?

Not in Open Class. (fun fact, only 7 current corps have ever placed top 3 in Open, and all of them went on to eventually win a championship. Bucs, Hurcs, Sky, Cabs, Sun, Bush, and MBI)

It has happened three or four times in Class A, depending on how you count it:

Generations in 98 (tied with Heat Wave)

Skyliners in 99 (They had medaled in Open, but technically not in A yet)

Grenadiers in 2004

Chops in 2005

• Like 2

Not in Open Class. (fun fact, only 7 current corps have ever placed top 3 in Open, and all of them went on to eventually win a championship. Bucs, Hurcs, Sky, Cabs, Sun, Bush, and MBI)

It has happened three or four times in Class A, depending on how you count it:

Generations in 98 (tied with Heat Wave)

Skyliners in 99 (They had medaled in Open, but technically not in A yet)

Grenadiers in 2004

Chops in 2005

The Generations!!!! A name I haven't heard in a while.

I wonder if they are the only corps to ever have more championship wins than losses in their history.

Three years on the field... 1998-2000, and two Class A titles in three years. Two wins, one loss. Not too shabby!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Jeff brings up the salient point for C2.

The Brass is going away the best brass section they've fielded. However....

The issue is content. I'll get to that in the review. In short, when I listen to the arranging in several points, they're very hesitant to let them carry melodic and some inner melodic weight and pass it to Front Ensemble when a lot of notes show up. They seem to be really nervous within the arrangements to let the brass play anything past eighth notes, which would have driven myself and my cohorts from the past up the wall. My guess is that the decision was made to be conservative this season in that aspect like it was last season. I have a belief the kids they have this year surpassed the expectations they had for them brass-wise and that the Brass staff (some new faces there IIRC) have done very fine work as well to do just that. We'll see if Gino will add content/make subtle changes to improve upon that for this weekend.

I'm not the only one who has picked up that the baritone underpinnings at the end of Russian Christmas Music was passed to the Front Ensemble while they blow footballs instead. That's just one example.

On the other hand, they seem to trust the Mellos more in the book, like in Scheherazade with the nice counter-melodic lines.

That's going to be a separator at that top level when the music numbers began to be churned out. Especially when it's compared to the Brass books corps like the Cabs/MBI/Bucs and yes... Kidsgrove go nuts. Very likely C2's brass number goes bottom over top this weekend.

I personally think it's far more realistic to see if they can grab any caption awards this year. Now that would definitely not surprise me at all. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

I don't think so, but that's just me. I don't really think Cadets2 have the program that say the Cabs or Bucs have. And I'm talking difficulty and design. This is obviously a fantastic year for them, and it's definitely something they need to build on next year. But look at the Cabs and the Bucs. They have some pretty hard drill and music. If either corps can really clean their show, they're looking at a 1st place finish. I just don't think Cabs2 are quite there yet.

I haven't seen MB this year so I can't comment on their program but I assume they too are going to be competitive for 1st.

Edited by Name
  • Like 1