2015 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

I have posted the pictures that I took at Prelims today on Facebook. Here is a link to the album so that each Corps may see them and share them so all the other members of the corps can see them too. They should be very public and if someone want the original files I can send them.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204898226516808.1073741869.1274414610&type=1&l=913120ae02

• Like 2

If I'm to be up to see the Alumni Spectacular tomorrow morning, then I haven't the time to compare my predictions (made in the various polling threads last week) to tonight's results in detail. Some were very close, some were, well, not so much. Curiously, a few of my guesses in those threads, which were based strictly on trends in the corps numbers over the summer (because I hadn't seen any of their shows live, and only a few on video), were actually better than how I personally scored the corps tonight as I watched the show live from the second highest row on the left side between the 35 and 40.

I hoped, and was glad to learn, that Cincinnati Tradition and Hurricanes would qualify. That said, I'm very happy to see that Gold will play in exhibition, because I want another look at their show. (On those selfish grounds, I'm being inconsistent here, because I do generally agree with those who argue that non-Finalists should not appear at Finals. The better principle would be to have two mini corps play instead. Bring on the Freelancers!) I had originally picked Atlanta CV to pull ahead of Fusion Core and White Sabers, and that proved to be correct, although based on the performances, I thought Fusion would be closer to CV tonight. It is still possible for eight corps to score 90 in Finals, but White Sabers will have to have a killer run, since their score only barely improved from Clifton; on seeing their performance, I didn't think they'd break 90 tonight, but I did think they'd break 89. We did not see every Open corps pass 80, but Skyliners gave it a good try. Govenaires now appear to have no chance to surpass their best ever score (86.60 at St. Peter in 2011) and look fairly unlikely even to catch their highest Finals score (84.93 that same year)--although I think they have a show that's designed impressively enough for at least the latter feat.

And that would be my big takeaway from this year's Prelims: most corps are seriously challenging their members. The show designs are right at the edge, or maybe a little beyond, what the corps can fully execute, at least today--I think this was true from Excelsior right on up to the Buccaneers. The only corps for whom this clearly didn't seem to be the case was Cadets2. They're playing their show to the max, and the judges tonight decided that they should get credit for achieving that level in contrast to other corps who aren't achieving at a (slightly) higher level. Just eight tenths of a point separated second from fourth, but I don't know if Cabs and MBI have enough time to make everything click that didn't quite click tonight. (Don't get me wrong: both those shows were very impressive, despite all I've just said.)

• Like 1

One quick final thought: that terrible computerized voice Sunrisers uses for their flight attendant narration does not help their show in the least. Yuck. It wouldn't be very hard for a person to learn to read that text in the next eighteen hours and intone it live: that would be so much better.

I heard people around me saying, "Those eyes are creepy".

Does anyone know if CV was inspired for this visual by Broken Arrow's 2014 show (which was my favorite high school marching band production of last year)?

In the words of the 80's favorite...

"I always feel like...somebody's watching me."

Dan

Watching online I agree with the judges. Less than a point 2-4. Bucs score maybe a tad high

<< snip >>

And that would be my big takeaway from this year's Prelims: most corps are seriously challenging their members. The show designs are right at the edge, or maybe a little beyond, what the corps can fully execute, at least today--I think this was true from Excelsior right on up to the Buccaneers.

<< snip >>

It looks like the DCA corps have run parallel to DCI in that EVERY corps now fields a serious and seriously challenging show. Scores will be forced to tighten as the starting point on judges sheets is forced upward. We all win, especially those who stick with their corps, trying to build a promising future !!!!!

Clarified or confirmed.

Clarified.

About the only ranking that really confused me was Fusions. I was pretty shocked to see the fall last night , they had consistently been right in that slot all,season. I suspect we may see some shift there tonight, maybe maybe not.

I think all eyes will be on Kidsgrove . Eyes on the ground tell me they the best package ever and performing well. If they uncork it they might just climb up a spot. They are fairly well back though, might be tough.

Anyone have an idea of when the caption results from Prelims will be posted? I would have thought they would have been up already.

In the words of the 80's favorite...

"I always feel like...somebody's watching me."

Dan

Thank you, Rockwell.

I also thought of another high school show from last year, but one that your design team almost certainly had not seen, from the small Ohio school called Wellston. Their production was titled "Blind Obsession" and featured nine framed sets of window blinds that were variously opened and closed. Nowhere near as good as Broken Arrow! And B.A.'s show was by no means in the same league as your show. (I feel the top high school bands are about at the level of a DCA corps scoring perhaps 80--and many high school bands, even those that make BOA Semifinals, would be penalized in DCA for being under time.) Good luck tonight!