2015 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals

I NEVER thought I would say this but Cabs got jobbed!

I thought that they performed the heck out of the show, but the quality of the entire line up was off the charts. What a show ! In some not too far back championships, Fusion would be wearing medals......

...... when the corps paraded on for retreat, you were seeing some VERY talented performers, instructed by extremely creative staff !!!!

Sorry for the confusion Joe I meant the live feed. Too tired to rewatch anything right now.

OIC...... you may not get much of a chance to re-watch anything for some time once it goes dark..... but I'm with you on this, I'm letting my mind soak in the fantastic spectacle that was DCA Finals 2015 !!!!

• Like 1

Nice announcing job as always, Fran......... but, what's with that shirt ????

Thanks to Kevin Gamin and associates for some VERY fine reporting on the prelims and the finals. I wish I could have afforded the live feed, but in lieu of that, at least I got to "kinda" feel like I was there through all your efforts. I hope you never quit doing your reporting. It "is" truly appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

I NEVER thought I would say this but Cabs got jobbed!

There are good reasons why MBI beat them legitimately. We are all homers to some extent. And that blinds us to many details. Personally I thought high brass would be the VERY LAST caption that MBI would win. I am rather shocked,actually. Visual I could understand. The Cabs have never been known for being particularly adventurous in visual design. But MBI has had some of the best visual shows for the last 5 years or so.

But hey, I'm looking forward to the recaps.. Congrats to C2 and the Bucs!!!

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 1

Thanks for the very entertaining commentary tonight, folks. It was fun to read before and after my corps' performance.

You got a whole more.

year to hear about it.

Edited by camel lips

Just returned to the hotel and haven't even started to read this thread yet, but my first thought is that the ranking was . . . OK (apart from MBI over Cabs), but the rating was bizarro! Almost everyone had a better show today, but you'd never know it from the scores. A particular shout out to the Hurricanes, who performed the life out of their show, proved definitively that they belonged in Finals, and ought to have seen their score go up two points, not less than a quarter point.

OK, one more initial thought: Minnesota Brass won bast brass despite being the Open Class corps who most often buried their brass with synthesizer. (Not as bad as many, many DCI corps in 2009-2011, but clearly the worst this year in that regard.)

• Like 2

There's an ice block prop which is moved to the middle of the field. As the red sashes and flags appear on the field, the sounds of cracking ice come from the pit. The block bursts open to reveal a mellophone player in the original Alliance uniform. That's a LONG time to be on ice, man.

Thanks for explaining the significance of that uniform, which I didn't recognize.

Govies have always been my fav Class A, but I don't know about liking them as much with more than a dozen brass . . . we'll have to see (or hear). Cinn Trad opener had kind of a Govies sound to it.

I think that's a very good observation!

John Mayer . . . Almost pulled over the podium as he climbed up it.

And that was despite his having tested it for sturdiness after it was wheeled into position!

The opener was from Kill Bill: "Battle Without Honor or Humility". The second selection is the theme to The Magnificent Seven, which is based on Seven Samurai. In a very indirect way, the first half of the show is music from movies based on Japanese cinema. OK, I'm trying too hard.

Works for me! The action the Govies present in their second movement, in which outlaws rob a train and then pass out drunk in a saloon, has nothing to do with The Magnificent Seven. I guess that means that John Mayer, when polling the audience for their experience of the film, was hoping that few people rather than many had seen it!

Is this a first for Kilts: female major?

Don't I remember seeing rehearsal video of Kilts, with a female drum major, surprising Scott Stewart with a reference to Madison Scouts' '97 show? Funny that you should ask, though, given she won best DM for Class A.