"Returning" to drum corps after 15 years.

You might have read this on Reddit, so apologies. But I thought I'd join this forum and geek out more.

As my signature suggests, I marched way back when, when I was in high school. I was obsessed with DCI, like legit obsessed. I would collect and trade (and copy) tapes (cassette tapes!) with friends and watch old shows over and over. I almost majored in music, actually. I was accepted in a music program at a university, but the university rejected my general application. So then I ended up studying engineering elsewhere. A bit of a digression, but engineering school made it difficult to do anything but engineering.

In college, I tried to make DCI happen again, so I wouldn't miss my age-out. I auditioned for SCV 2002 (my dream corps!) and was invited back for a few rehearsals, but I just couldn't afford it, flying to rehearsals every month. And so it just kinda faded away and I aged out at a university that didn't even have a marching band. Last live show I saw was Finals in 2003.

Now, mainly through co-workers in a community concert band, music has once again become a part of my life. Turns out one also marched in a corps, so we chatted about that life and it all brought me back. This summer, I started following DCI again and so much has changed, but it's all still very exciting and I want to catch up.

I'm finding myself just as excited as I was back then. I'm "writing" shows in head, thinking "how the hell can I convince a corps to use this music?!" and I've even started looking up All-Ages Corps.

I actually now live in California and sent a request for audition information to join the SF Renegades! As I understand it, they haven't fielded a show in a few years. I hope they can come back soon. I'm excited to get back into the corps life.

Anyone from the Renegades, please feel free get in touch. Same goes for Bones '99.

Glad your back, you need to check out Phantom 08, SCV 04. DCI has definitely imho turned the corner over the last years. Its exciting. Must of have been a trip to see Bluecoats and Crown in the elite compared to them placing 7th and 10th respectively back in 2003.

Yeah, I was really surprised to learn that Crown and Bluecoats had improved so much. I'm hoping Bluecoats can eek out a win in the next few seasons. I was always a fan of Phantom, so I'm not surprised to see them back up top.

What was the SCV 04 show?

Also, one of the biggest surprises for me... Crossmen moving to Texas! Still kinda blown away by that, but I get it.

Yeah, I was really surprised to learn that Crown and Bluecoats had improved so much. I'm hoping Bluecoats can eek out a win in the next few seasons. I was always a fan of Phantom, so I'm not surprised to see them back up top.

What was the SCV 04 show?

So happy when Crown won in 2013. May have been the best brass line I ever witnessed live and I live in SoCal and see BD every year. SCV did Scheherazade, wonderful show and their drumline was magical that year. Took high drums.

https://vimeo.com/17963906

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

Oh man. Thanks for this. It's really hard to find HQ multicam videos of full shows without buying $90 DVDs. Here's hoping they bring back The Fan Network streaming of all recorded shows.

• 2 months later...

Dear DCP Veteran, what do you mean by "DCI has turned the corner?" I'm not being negative...just a genuine question to know how things have changed.

I didn't make the comment, but I think s/he's talking about how, in general, shows have really stepped it up and become theatrical productions since the 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

welcome back. I marched in the late 90s and early 00s. I taught a few years after aging out, then life took over for awhile. The activity has evolved, it sort of had to, to keep ahead of the other circuits. (BOA, WGI...etc) But I think it's incredible what we ask these performers to do these days. the athleticism is off the charts. you no longer have to be just a player, or a marcher, you have to do everything, be able to learn and adapt quickly, and push yourself harder than the activity has ever asked.

If you're looking to get back into it, check out DCI's soundsport and DCA mini corps. Renegades have often put together a mini corps that they bring to DCA championship weekend. And soundsport is a product of DCI with fewer age restrictions. The freelancers and SoCal Dream participate in this. http://soundsport.com/find-team/

Edited by C.Holland

Thanks. I've been checking in with the Renegades from time to time. Last I checked, it looked like they were putting something together for WGI Winds, which looks fun, but I'm not sure if they've moved on with that. I submitted my contact info on their website, but haven't heard anything. I do get the impression that they're (slowly) getting closer to returning to the field.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with what the kids are doing these days. I honestly don't know if 1999 me would have made the cut with one of these modern corps.