Brief DCA impressions

JimF-LowBari...We left Rochester at about 3am Monday morning for home. I rolled into my driveway at 1:30 this morning, unpacked and was of course immediately wide awake. Finally forced myself to sleep around 3:30. Up at 5:15, at work by 6:15. Yeah, it's safe to say I am not really at my best today! ;)

Dan

• Like 2

JimF-LowBari...We left Rochester at about 3am Monday morning for home. I rolled into my driveway at 1:30 this morning, unpacked and was of course immediately wide awake. Finally forced myself to sleep around 3:30. Up at 5:15, at work by 6:15. Yeah, it's safe to say I am not really at my best today! ;)

Dan

Worse than working rotating shifts and having to adjust sleep schedule Dan.... My wife was wondering about the MN groups and when they would get home. We totally forgot about the ride the GA groups have to "look forward" to.

Thank you all for your dedication.....

• Like 1

Worse than working rotating shifts and having to adjust sleep schedule Dan.... My wife was wondering about the MN groups and when they would get home. We totally forgot about the ride the GA groups have to "look forward" to.

Thank you all for your dedication.....

When I played with CHOPS back in 2006, I remember it being a mind-numbingly LONG drive there and back.

Out of curiosity, I actually touched base with fellow Blue Devil Alum Todd Tanji who is now with MBI and he informed me that they beat us home by about 4 hours.

Dan

You mentioned in an earlier post that you left Rochester at 3 AM... all the Minnesota corps genereally take off straight from the stadium after retreat. That probably accounts for some of it.

Govies left Rochester about 1+ hour after retreat, returning to St. Peter at around 10 p.m. CST.

Had a brief stop in Milwaukee to return one of Pioneer's busses. A huge "thank you" to Roman Blenski and the Pioneer organization for helping us on this journey.

• Like 3

The key to grow DCA is to grow the regions. If the regions have strong competition with themselves then the mix as we come to DCA Championships will take care of itself. Non of our corps SHOULD be geared to travel long distances more than once or twice a year. Seed DCA corps in your area and provide performance opportunities for each other. C2 exists because they do not have to travel to attend championships. Performance opportunities are close at hand. We each need to do that in our own regions.

I'm excited to see what Allen can do to springboard off the amazing work the DCA Board has completed in the last 10 years under Gill. The judging and transparent movements of the association has been good.

MBI has had scheduling conflicts that prevents shows on the weekend before DCA, but we are looking at eliminating those. Our biggest challenge and preference would be to move DCA Championships off Labor Day to better accomodate the schedule of our members and families.

One long term concern is Championships Attendance. It would be interesting to see the online subscriptions. Looked like about 2500-3000 paid attendance at prelims and finals.

• Like 1

One long term concern is Championships Attendance. It would be interesting to see the online subscriptions. Looked like about 2500-3000 paid attendance at prelims and finals.

If that is all there were, WOW :mellow:

• Like 1

Moving Championships off of Labor Day weekend would cause a major problem with southern corps in that all the schools have been in session down here for a month already by Labor Day and not having it on the holiday weekend would make it very difficult for high school age students (or teachers) to participate. Just a thought.

Dan

If that is all there were, WOW :mellow:

Yeah ouch.... and what was the average age of that crowd.... Never got a good look from the Fan Network...

And do Govies still have that green school bus? My dad is a retired auto mechanic who fixed larger vehicles for the Gov't. Everytime I'd see that bus I could just picture him (well the bottom half) hanging over the grill or front fender.

Edited by JimF-LowBari