DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

Solve future problems in the future...DCA is in Rochester next year and there are 4,032 front side seats for Finals.

When Rochester drum corps people can be heard to say, "I wasnt sure where DCA was this year", that is an important piece of feedback.

The marching community is big enough and enthusiastic enough that an invitation or a little more information might be all that's required for some to buy a ticket.

What the would-be fans expect and what is delivered might be two different things. Given the number of raised eyebrows and other positive, post-DCA comments, my guess is that the percieved value was lower than what was delivered. Maybe even much lower.

"Philadelphia Story":

Indeed, DCA HAS been there before. DCI also with their 75 & 76 Championships at Franklin Field. Philly is no stranger to hosting large influxes of people (They ARE hosting the Pope's visit this year), and providing for DCA's Championship should be well within their capabilities.

DCI has (As well as several large Marching Band Groups) held major shows in the area with contests at WCU's Stadium complex and the Union's stadium in Chester.

Most of the Eastern seaboard units are within a reasonable distance, and the Southern and Mid West units would be no worse off than before.

Just a thought.

Elphaba

Union is natural grass. any rain, event is off.

WCU is a logistics nightmare for a regular show

I need to add some local knowledge to the idea of returning to Allentown.

In short, Allentown has MANY excellent qualities these days. Truly, both Cadets2 and the Buccaneers should give full consideration to making a DCA Championship bid.

Carry on, and thanks for your consideration.

That was a great list, Fred.... certainly worthy of consideration.

It probably would help CV a bit though not so much Minn Brass......

I'd love to see that move made !

As for the other comment in this thread "keep it to 2016," well, we need to address that, too.

Since DCA and DCI are so close in a working relationship, perhaps a DCA corps close enough to a DCI show could provide the exhibition at the end of a contest. We need DCI fans exposed to the DCA corps that we enjoyed this weekend.

I also agree that the new DCA website, while more eye pleasing, doesn't have the fingertips information that people are looking for. Not easy for a volunteer organization, but if you aren't spreading the word, you aren't growing.

A look at Class A shows that it takes more than local corps to make the circuit.......

What the would-be fans expect and what is delivered might be two different things. Given the number of raised eyebrows and other positive, post-DCA comments, my guess is that the percieved value was lower than what was delivered. Maybe even much lower.

The perceived value was more than likely lower because there were fewer corps. Sadly, corps like the Renegades, Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Westshoremen, etc were corps that brought people in. Empire and Cru were both from Rochester... that place where Finals is... yet, the closest corps to the Finals site is the White Sabers I believe. The Kidsgrove Scouts were a welcome addition to finals and I hope they come back and bring some friends with them in the future (it would also be fun to see one or two of OUR corps go over there and see how they would do). That's just in the Open Class. As far as Class A, Erie returned, but there are others that fell off the map. There has to be something put in motion to try and keep corps around. If they fail internally, that's one thing, but if it's something that DCA can help with, there needs to be a way to keep the competition around.

The stadium experience, from a production standpoint, offers many opportunities to freshen and surprise. There's plenty of fan feedback available that is often free (of charge) and available (on social media).

For example: the Exhibitions are almost universally panned, not for their production value, but for their placement in the programming. StarU and Carolina Gold performing productions that are incongruous to the past three hours of competition makes for an odd fit. Putting them at the beginning is reasonable as a warm up act (11th place) and for recognition (mini-corps winner) while giving the late arriving fan a chance to get acclimated to the FInals environment before the first competitor.

Pre-show atmosphere can be enhanced by any of the mini-corps or mixed ensembles in the stadium concourse. Those folks are wrist banded for the most part, anyway and i cant think of too many groups that would balk at the chance to play together again on Sunday if asked.

Speaking of wrist bands, how about a Prelims-Alumni-Finals GA ticket package that gives the traveling fan all-access and a program book. The three 2015 shows at regular GA ran $20, $18, $40 = $78. For 2015, the reserved seats at the Prelims and FInals plus a ticket to the Alumni came to $108. This might take a little research to pinpoint, but a suggested "GA wrist band" price for the weekend might be $60 while leaving the red seats as premium/reserved.

That number is attractive enough to generate buzz and presales, which generates scarcity and a "hot ticket", which generates more sales. Even a Prelims-Alumni combined ticket (buy one, get both) might get a few more fans to town on Saturday and introduce more fans to the alumni show that otherwise have skipped it year after year.

Speaking of the alumni show, Kelly's Apple Farm should be on hand to hand out free fresh cider and fried cakes to anyone showing up to that event. Yes, the Sahlen's and Canteen people would have a coronary at the suggestion. But "Breakfast with the Corps" sounds a whole lot more social and fun than "The Alumni Spectacular" which, as a brand, needs a freshening and, truly, more fans.

Solve future problems in the future . . . DCA is in Rochester next year, and there are 4,032 front side seats for Finals.

When Rochester drum corps people can be heard to say, "I wasn't sure where DCA was this year", that is an important piece of feedback.

The marching community is big enough and enthusiastic enough that an invitation or a little more information might be all that's required for some to buy a ticket.

What the would-be fans expect and what is delivered might be two different things. Given the number of raised eyebrows and other positive, post-DCA comments, my guess is that the perceived value was lower than what was delivered. Maybe even much lower.

DCA is in Rochester for two more years, I believe, so you're even more right: that's the first challenge to address.

To start with, couldn't a discounted ticket offer be extended to every marching band within (at least) 50 miles? At four Ohio DCI shows this summer (Akron in mid-June, Dublin in late July, Avon Lake in late July, Massillon in early August)--when schools weren't even in session--I saw multiple buses of band students, some of whom had traveled an hour or more to attend (e.g. Berne Union buses at Akron, Marion Harding buses at Dublin). Sure, three of those shows included top DCI talent, but even Avon Lake, which was a DCI Open Class show, nearly filled its 3,200-seat home side. Even with DCI's two weakest corps, that was still a good show, but nothing like DCA Finals.

Mike from Erie - I would venture that the perception of DCA is rooted in an expectation of quality than quantity. People pay good money to see shows with 5 corps. This show had 15 in 2 classes with Star in exhibition. That's a good show, with or without Westshoremen. If the perception is that Fusion, Kidsgrove, Sabers and Cadets2 and Atlanta are not good substitutes for Empire, Brigadiers, Renegades, Crusaders and Westshore...that's DCA's problem to solve.

There is one drum corps within 200 miles of Atlanta, but 18,000 people show up there to watch drum corps. That isnt all alums or moms and dads. That's fans.

On the flip side of "major" events, the ability to sell tickets year after year even with fewer or different or "lesser" corps (ie the Rome, NY show) means there is a relationship cultivated with the event and its fans (most of whom couldnt name three of the drum corps they saw within 20 minutes of the end of the contest).

Not sure DCA, the entity, has that. DCA Rochester used to have that....at Holleder Stadium everybody remembers drum corps as a big deal.

Some of the corps have it, eg Hawthorne in Kingston. That's a tough ticket regardless of the lineup. People just plain go to that show. They make plans to go every year. They are made to feel welcome and special somehow. That's a big deal.

Relationships mean the show isnt prediicated only on the whiz bang..., with 35 corps, there is plenty of whiz bang.

The "spectacle" is there. 4032 people need enough reason to go check it out

• Like 1

Some of the corps have it, eg Hawthorne in Kingston. That's a tough ticket regardless of the lineup. People just plain go to that show. They make plans to go every year. They are made to feel welcome and special somehow. That's a big deal.

Has there even been a Kingston show in recent years?

I bet this is the part where the 5 people left on DCP start to pee on the point I'm trying to make. The Kingston show is an example of good community relationship building, but...alas....there was no Kingstion show this year so that generally dismisses any part of the conversation that came before. Your sandbox, guys. My mistake. Been down this road one too many times before :) All the best.

Edited by wishbonecav

I would like to remind people that New Jersey SCHOOL does not start school till the day after Labor Day.

Need to find Sponsor to submit a Bid. Places like Rutgers and Princeton are good but then the College football problem kicks in. Maybe rotate between them. Clifton maybe?

But there again it takes a GOOD BID to beat out Rochester (Rchacha is not my favorite. But they sure know how to win this Bid. AND. Know how to run things well).

Edited by 2B or not 2B