DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

Probably just enough to pay the I&E judges. And I bet the mini corps announcer takes a healthy fee.

at best I have heard I&E judges get $50 for the night and often share a room with someone else.

• Like 1

Man - I cannot get this quote thing to work...

Guardling, how would a junior age, weekend only division wipe out any existing corps? Are you talking DCA corps or DCI?

To me, it would strengthen the whole activity by making it affordable for both members and organizations to get a corps out there.

Man - I cannot get this quote thing to work...

Guardling, how would a junior age, weekend only division wipe out any existing corps? Are you talking DCA corps or DCI?

To me, it would strengthen the whole activity by making it affordable for both members and organizations to get a corps out there.

What I meant was, if there were a junior division and members were restricted either way by age the corps you see today in DCA could be wiped out due to the fact the average age of members has dropped dramatically . Take Cadets 2 for instance. with adding a jr. division they would have to compete there .

It is affordable the way it is. There is all age corps now. Splitting that by age might create more corps but there are many SR. ( if you chose to call then that today ) that many of their members are of JR. age. Creating more doesnt mean creating better and adding to one end certainly takes away from the other.

If it werent for younger members today I bet more than half of the corps you see in DCA wouldnt be there .

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

That's assuming the new, startup corps would be of a quality level that they would compete for the same pool of members. I really don't see that being the case.

But a junior DCA division would be a wonderful breeding ground for future Sr corps members. The only problem I see here is the junior division corps losing members to the senior ones and having to constantly rebuild, so you cut the age difference at something acceptable, say 18, and grandfather the existing senior members under that age.

That's assuming the new, startup corps would be of a quality level that they would compete for the same pool of members. I really don't see that being the case.

But a junior DCA division would be a wonderful breeding ground for future Sr corps members. The only problem I see here is the junior division corps losing members to the senior ones and having to constantly rebuild, so you cut the age difference at something acceptable, say 18, and grandfather the existing senior members under that age.

Well you are saying the same just in reverse. If you are saying below 18 only you are talking kiddie corps pretty much. thats not a division like a dci corps

Corps today are not at all like corps of the past when we were really young and many corps were high school agers. as i said though, if we went back to sr. corps so to speak you will cut many out of it. sr. corps became all age for a reason and it wasnt just to acccomodate those youngins who didnt want to do dci

Edited by GUARDLING

You know one thing people forget when talking about attendance at finals is all the people from other areas that don't attend because of the travel to the Northeast that otherwise might. How many drum corps fans are we missing out on from other parts of the country by limiting our discussion to areas within a few hours drive from the New York, eastern Pennsylvania area? I'm not saying that we need to move necessarily, but don't think that the fans from the Northeast that wouldn't travel to a further facility wouldn't necessarily be replaced with fans from another area.

Just a thought.

Dan

You know one thing people forget when talking about attendance at finals is all the people from other areas that don't attend because of the travel to the Northeast that otherwise might. How many drum corps fans are we missing out on from other parts of the country by limiting our discussion to areas within a few hours drive from the New York, eastern Pennsylvania area? I'm not saying that we need to move necessarily, but don't think that the fans from the Northeast that wouldn't travel to a further facility wouldn't necessarily be replaced with fans from another area.

Just a thought.

Dan

If the venue could draw over 3,000 people from the sounds of it, it would be more successful. On one hand it sounds like an easy target- if the Woodstock contest drew something like that number for the regular season contest, I'd think the Greater Atlanta area would be an attractive idea.

Edited by BigW

The important thing to understand IMO is that 3000 heads at a regular season ticket price.vs, the price for prelims and finals is why local appeal wherever finals is held is a very hard sell,..........locals are unlikely to hear a corps rehearsing in their neighborhood and say "hey, let's go see that" once they understand that tickets for their family of five is around $200.00,............you'll get some, but not an additional 1-2000 seats filled,........

• Like 2

As it stands they are paying $12 - $15 to see the same three corps over and over now. Who's to say they wouldn't be willing to pay the price of admission to see the entire circuit? Might be worth a try. Again, I'm not saying that it should be down here, but I don't think we should discount ANY other location purely because of speculation on whether people would turn out or not.

Dan