DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

Lee, your link doesn't work.

Simply put - If you want fans to attend a drum corps show to see a competition, DCA needs to become competitive again.

Here's the explanation.

I disagree with your theory that it is the fault of the Bucs winning so many times because quite frankly every other group has become more competitive because of the Bucs. It isn't their fault they are doing it better than the rest are. The shows that won 10-15 years ago would never come in the Top 5 now.

Your theory is like saying people stopped going to baseball games because The Yankees have 27 rings. Nope. That isn't the answer Lee. It sounds great to drag it out and repeat it as the reason, but it is far from the solution to the problem.

Not all of them. My town (Springfield, and plenty surrounding ones) started on Thursday this year before the holiday weekend.

A function of this year's Labor Day being the latest it can be on the calendar, perhaps?

My niece's school in NJ also went back before the weekend... but after Labor day weekend has been the norm.

I suspect he was trying to link to his blog post on the subject.

I may not agree with everything he posits, but it's undeniable there's a problem and he's outlined it pretty well.

I agree with you.

He makes some very good points that alot of people are not getting past because all they read is Bucs killed drum corps.

Read

"There are ways to achieve parity without penalizing one corps. You can revise the judging system, so it objectively rewards more than one style of show design, you can reward show design that is not modeled on a pre-existing DCI show or corps, you can move a corps into “grand world champion” exhibition status for one season after three, four or maybe even five consecutive championships, and you can help foster growth and competitive development in new corps though various programs. None of these solutions are easy, and some of these ideas may not work at all. Frankly, there is no perfect or simple solution to achieving parity in a drum corps “league” where one corps has a seven light year lead. Unfortunately, there is no member draft to help DCA solve this issue, like the NFL and NBA have at their fingertips."

As he states the NFL and NBA have draft issues that prevent one team from piling up. Other activities like Archery, golf have divisions that once you reach a certain caliber of being a Archer or golfer you get bumped into another class so you are not dominating your class all the time.

"To solve this will require outside the box thinking and vision, and the Reading Buccaneers have to be part of the solution for it to have any chance of working."

ALL OF DCA needs to have a say in this line of thinking. NOT just those voting.

• Like 1

A function of this year's Labor Day being the latest it can be on the calendar, perhaps?

My niece's school in NJ also went back before the weekend... but after Labor day weekend has been the norm.

I think once DCI figures out that it can keep a bunch of DCA ticket buyers in INDY for DCI championships by Holding DCA championships on Monday and Tuesday and making DCI/ DCA a WEEK LONG EVENT everyone is going to make a lot of money. But then again its going to take some forward thinking people to come off the PAST, The carved in stone Labor day weekend and some give and take on both sides.

I think one of the biggest obstacles to having DCA'S as part of the DCI Championships is the idea of losing 4 weeks of shows. This year it would have been been held on July 27th & 28th if held on that Monday & Tuesday.

one they have to submit a bid.

two the fair is in town, which kills hotel availability.

three schools are in, which hurts rehearsal facilities

1. DCA has looked into Allentown, they can accommodate hotels.

2. The fair is not the problem, Parking is. If the Parks department would loosen up its hold on parking and the agreement they have with the Parking Authority, parking would work in the park.

3. Allentown holds starting school till after labor day.

Other activities like Archery, golf have divisions that once you reach a certain caliber of being a Archer or golfer you get bumped into another class so you are not dominating your class all the time.

Yes... unless you were Tiger Woods between the years 2000 and 2009. :tongue:

• Like 1

I think one of the biggest obstacles to having DCA'S as part of the DCI Championships is the idea of losing 4 weeks of shows. This year it would have been been held on July 27th & 28th if held on that Monday & Tuesday.

This.

I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which the all-age corps would be in peak... "championship"... form so early in their season.

• Like 2