DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

My big concern with staff Sunday was those members of some corps' guard staff who had to cheer and clap for seemingly every single successful catch at Finals. Why is it always only guard staff who do this? You don't hear brass staff cheering every chord that played in tune. And don't they realize that:

(1) When only a very small group of people is cheering every ten seconds, that it sounds forced, or like they're trying to juice the crowd?

And

(2) Their cheers often happen during what are supposed to be quieter passages of the show, often ruining the moment?

And

(3) By cheering for every successful catch, you're implying that we should expect your corps to regularly drop?

Fortunately, this was only a notable problem for three or four corps in the earlier part of the evening. The most egregious offenders were the . . .

well, I'll just say it was an Open Class corps.

I propose that staff be issued oven mitts and muzzles

• Like 1

I propose that staff be issued oven mitts and muzzles

Choker chains and/or electric fence to keep them in their section of the stands

Only time we sat at top at Rochester it was a freaking fire hazard with staff(?) sitting in the aisles.

one of my biggest complaints about having decent center seats at dc shows. complained about it before, maybe here, maybe another venue, and got a lot of nasty replies from (prolly) those same staff folk who defended themselves and gave me what-for for my complaint. don't they realize how much distraction they are and how it takes away from enjoying their corps' performance?

ps - had a thought while noticing that these caption heads were standing next to (I assume - cuz he was in suit, as opposed to casual) corps director; are they doing this for HIS benefit? "Look what a great job I did. Can I keep it?"

Edited by dbriggs
  • Like 2

I'm going to be honest with you. People don't know how to attend drum corps shows anymore. Its doesn't matter if its DCA or DCI. They just don't know how to put the phone down, shut the eff up, and watch the darned shows. They seem to be too self absorbed to care whats going on in front of them. I've had people talk through every show I attended this year be it DCA or DCI. I've had a lady make a phone call during a corps' performance, to see if a restaurant will be open tomorrow, and i've had people taking pics of themselves and playing around on FB and BSing about it.

This is my old man "GET OFF MY LAWN" post of the week.

you paid for a show, shut up and watch. I paid for a show. shut up and watch!

its not even the staff anymore. though they get a shut up and watch from me as well.

• Like 6

I bet some of the corps would like to have this option to avoid exposing dirty drill. :cool:

...In specific cases- David Copperfield for instance, they even tell them what seats aren't allowed to be sold, and under no circumstances are people allowed to be seated in them, period. In that case- the angles from those seats would have given away how the illusions are done....

35 corps, maybe 2500 - 3000 performers & staff and admin directly involved with the event. I find it hard to believe that 4000+ tickets can't be sold for these events with a minimal amount of word of mouth marketing by all those with a stake in the game. Have each corps sell a block of 50-100 tickets and your almost there. Make it a fun weekend getaway, fill a bus with fans, include tickets for all the events in the package and throw in a t-shirt. Bam!

I'm going to be honest with you. People don't know how to attend drum corps shows anymore. Its doesn't matter if its DCA or DCI. They just don't know how to put the phone down, shut the eff up, and watch the darned shows. They seem to be too self absorbed to care whats going on in front of them. I've had people talk through every show I attended this year be it DCA or DCI. I've had a lady make a phone call during a corps' performance, to see if a restaurant will be open tomorrow, and i've had people taking pics of themselves and playing around on FB and BSing about it.

This is my old man "GET OFF MY LAWN" post of the week.

you paid for a show, shut up and watch. I paid for a show. shut up and watch!

its not even the staff anymore. though they get a shut up and watch from me as well.

There is definitely truth to this. i do think for many the Rochester site could be a factor. I do know many who just won't do that anymore and unlike DCI there are several driveable large shows during the season to attend.