DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

I didn't include the take for I and E, the Alumni Spectacular, and Prelims. Would you care to give me the attendance and the money per ticket for those three events? There's your profit.

there is no take for I&E

Sounds good.

If they can bring that field a bit closer to the stands, then it's a potential winner.

The current configuration, with the big track, puts the corps pretty far from the stands. Not necessarily a good thing for DCA.

But Fred has indicated before that a workaround solution is possible.

but you need a bid.

now who runs a corps in Allentown that uses the stadium for lots of other events.....

• Like 1

but you need a bid.

now who runs a corps in Allentown that uses the stadium for lots of other events.....

Let the conspiracy theories commence.... :devil:

• Like 2

there is no take for I&E

Other than the application fees for the entrants. :satisfied: IIRC 15 dollars when did it. Likely adds up to about a grand intake there.

Gary's response was illuminating.

If I try and untangle this...

1: One thing I learned a few years back was that competitors want a real championship venue for the championship. I'm sure Scranton, Downingtown, and Reading put 3k people into the stands at their contests or came close enough to that number that to me, that's worrisome. Pretty sure the Bush show at Clifton eventually got at least 2K. In other words, if you're figuring on 3k people coming, you could hold this championship at a decent High School facility, of which there are a-plenty now that are clean, artificial surface, and the room to hold that crowd. The problem is that it's a real letdown for the competitors, who deserve and want more than that.

2: From reading here, it seems that to get some kind of decent arrangement that makes the most money for the competitors that DCA and Rochester are both unappreciated and unwanted by everyone else so they've ended up more or less stuck with each other. As an aside, if that local radio host were truly a conservative, he'd welcome the fact that the event brings in well over a million bucks to the city in business, even though we're a bunch of nerds and geeks. I do not view that tag as an issue, by the way. We are what we are. Avoiding it is pointless. :satisfied: He'd be thrilled any event goes on in the city, period. Maybe that point needs to be made, but my bet is he's wrapped up in the Bills games at this time. :cool:

3: For me and for the folks in Central PA, its really disappointing. Anything over 250 miles is a real trek when done solo. Heck, Albany is pretty much the exact same distance though I'd think a lot closer for the Jersey fan base. I really wonder if anyone cares if only the folks with the disposable cash to do the 2-3 nights of hotels and spend the 2 tanks of gas really can do it because the corps have a deal where they're making their ends meet regardless if the attendance shrinks.

Add to that the way the finals weekend has caused wild shifts in the season and the numbers as well as produced by far the best performances ... I'm musing now whether any of the regular season events are worth going to and to just save the bucks to do the Championship weekend. That's not a good thing, either. Almost every show is run by a corps now and they need that money.

This is a nasty and ugly circle, period. DCA wants you to plan around a far away event that is way better than everything leading up to it yet hopes you go to the shows before it as well. I'm finally making real money in my life but I do have my limits as to how much I'll throw out there and limits in how far I'll drive and burn myself out. I do enough of the 200+ mile one way runs on fall weekends.

Also a fee for Mini corps IIRC (more than $10).....

Other than the application fees for the entrants. :satisfied: IIRC 15 dollars when did it. Likely adds up to about a grand intake there.

Probably just enough to pay the I&E judges. And I bet the mini corps announcer takes a healthy fee.

Probably just enough to pay the I&E judges. And I bet the mini corps announcer takes a healthy fee.

Whatever planet you live on, I'll be sure to come by and visit someday. :tongue:

• Like 1

Last I knew for certain and from observation of who was judging when I participated a couple of years ago- the Judges do I and E for the fun of it/ for gratis. Maybe the only instance I can think of that's so fun and out there where the judges will do it for free. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

Well, obviously you can afford it! :tounge2:

:lol::lol::lol: