Future Health of Alumni Type Corps?

JimF-LowBari

Several issues if one examines the situation, Jim.

-corps running later because of indoor percussion and guard commitments

-securing performance rights: Hypothetically, could the T-Birds come to a concert today if they haven't yet secured those performance rights but are in the process of doing so? I don't know.

-Also, the appearance costs time and money. Weigh in taking that time to travel to a concert and perform versus valuable rehearsal time, and I have a guess some corps are just saying it's not worth it.

-Add to that many groups have their own event where they premiere their show, doing it earlier would steal the thunder from their own event

- Also, BITD, corps would come to each other's concerts, I know Andy L. and Fran have discussed that. Everyone helped each other out in that way. I know Fusion has come to Reading, I'd hope others may in the future.

Personally, I just had a switch flipped last year about it all, and I'm kind of thinking about Reading since at least I can get a nice Turkey Dinner before the show- but I really got turned off last year from the whole spring concert scene and am still ambivalent. I figure I'm pretty much guaranteed to see the Cabs Alumni at a DCA show this year, and no offense to other organizations- but- the ones that might get me to go see something would be Scout House, the Brassmen, and Selden Cadets, maybe then. I like those folks and what they present.

• Like 2

Personally, I just had a switch flipped last year about it all, and I'm kind of thinking about Reading since at least I can get a nice Turkey Dinner before the show- but I really got turned off last year from the whole spring concert scene and am still ambivalent. I figure I'm pretty much guaranteed to see the Cabs Alumni at a DCA show this year, and no offense to other organizations- but- the ones that might get me to go see something would be Scout House, the Brassmen, and Selden Cadets, maybe then. I like those folks and what they present.

The show venue... Twin Valley H.S.... is top shelf all the way. One of the best I've ever seen for an indoor show.

And that pre-show dinner is one of the best ideas in the history of drum corps!!!! LOL

I went a couple of years ago and had a great time, even though I missed out on the turkey. Wrote a review. The one thing the Bucs need more of at that show are people, it's a really nice event and very much deserving of better attendance. I was surprised I got a seat that close to the action by just walking in and getting a ticket.

Heck, I remember the concerts back when I marched...We went to the Forum, Buc's and Crossmen's shows...and all three corps were always there.... Forum usually had at least one of the service academies....and as other corps came and went we had other ones.... I did it one year with the Chocolatiers who, at the time was only a parade corps, that did exhibitions during the summer.

I remember one year they had Buddy Rich playing a show!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Haven't been on here for a long time. Would just like to say that I am hoping and praying that the alumni drum corps activity is alive for as long as possible. There are a lot of wonderful and talented individuals still involved in the activity and that is a beautiful thing. Drum corps provides a great outlet for people to excape from the realities that each of us face on a daily basis. Wishing everyone much continued success and happiness in all future drum corps activities and all future endeavors in life! Love...JJ/Muchachos/Bridgemen/Bush/Cabs/Reilly/Director-Jordan Thomas Orchestra...Vero Beach, Florida

• Like 6