Readable drill

Can't believe this story. Angers me, have enjoyed many lunches and sessions with Frank; and can just hear him telling this story.

University President should have had his back.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kansas-state-marching-band-slapped-sanctions-after-nsfw-halftime-show-n423546

Now they join Princeton, Stanford, and Yale. Probably won't get invited to the College Band-Fest in Allentown or Worcester either! :wow:

It seems like a case of people seeing what they wanted to see.

I've said it elsewhere, but I think that the handful of people who were offended totally deserve a Hugo Award in recognition for their imagination's ability to see things that aren't actually there.

http://www.thehugoawards.org/content/hugos-large/1966.jpg

The engraving on the base can read "Perhaps this can serve as a better visual aid."

The Kansas State band can serve as caretakers of the trophy until the guilty parties decide to come forward and accept the award for their perceptual achievements.

Were they offended by the poor execution of the drill? Or the fact that it was the Kansas mascot being attacked?

Were they offended by the poor execution of the drill? Or the fact that it was the Kansas mascot being attacked?

It's not 100% clear, but the outrage that I saw was all about the drill seemingly looking like a part of anatomy (to which I would say if your anatomy looks like THAT then you need to seek health care immediately).

If it was for "attacking" their rival's mascot via drill form, that is absolutely nothing new in college football halftime shows. I went to school at The Ohio State University and it was fairly common for the band to take jabs at The Team Up North via various halftime shows. Sometimes the goof would be as benign as a pirate ship with a tOSU flag blasting/sinking a ship with a Michigan flag; sometimes it would be as involved as a game show type program where people in Michigan garb would appear less educated (I'm probably being nice with that description) than tOSU dressed students. I think a Star Trek ship attacking the rival mascot is REALLY fairly harmless and the uproar was over what people embraced as NSFW. I honestly wonder if this started with people just being silly and saying "hey that kind of looks NSFW hahahahahaha" and then people with no sense of humor took that too seriously and pulled a "oh yeah: I can kind of see that I guess. THE CHILDREN!"

The University clearly quickly tried to appease the public by showing that they have that pesky marching band program under tight control and the 'guilty' are to be punished (guilty for not teaching how to march clean maybe?).

This is an awful example of our culture's constant 'Outrage Watch' where seemingly we're just ready to be offended by something, complain to someone, and hope to be appeased until we move on to the next thing that offends us in a day or two.

• Like 2

I remember there was some minor brouhaha about this particular set in Carolina Crown's 2006* on here. Emphasis on the word MINOR. There were a few people chuckling at a vague, possibly suggestive shape, many squinting and not seeing anything other then an amorphous drill form, and zero people writing angry letters to Crown or DCI about it demanding sanctions of some kind. I'm making a conjecture here, but I'm willing to bet no one witnessing it live audibly gasped and shouted "HOW DARE THEY!"

I feel really bad for the KSU band...If the university really wanted to cover their butts and issue an apology, sure, whatever, but I think that the fine is especially outrageous. $5,000? That could've been scholarship money instead.

*Edited with the correct date. Thank you Cadevilina Crown, I should've been able to figure that one out! Whoops...

981181_627716789284_77529400_o.jpg

Edited by troon8

I remember there was some minor brouhaha about this particular set in Carolina Crown's 2007 (This is the best picture I could find, not quite at the set in question, but pretty close. It's labeled as 2006, but I'm reasonably sure this is wrong) on here. Emphasis on the word MINOR. There were a few people chuckling at a vague, possibly suggestive shape, many squinting and not seeing anything other then an amorphous drill form, and zero people writing angry letters to Crown or DCi about it demanding sanctions of some kind. I'm making a conjecture here, but I'm willing to bet no one witnessing it live audibly gasped and shouted "HOW DARE THEY!"

I feel really bad for the KSU band...If the university really wanted to cover their butts and issue an apology, sure, whatever, but I think that the fine is especially outrageous. $5,000? That could've been scholarship money instead.

981181_627716789284_77529400_o.jpg

This was in fact 2006. The Championships were held in Madison that year (hence the W on the field).

This is an awful example of our culture's constant 'Outrage Watch' where seemingly we're just ready to be offended by something, complain to someone, and hope to be appeased until we move on to the next thing that offends us in a day or two.

This is also why I'm a charter member of the National Organization of the Offended by the Offended, or NOOO...!

pearlclutching.jpg

• Like 1

Total, unmitigated, misplaced politically correct ########.

Probably KU was just extremely jealous because K-State has a bigger....uhhh....spaceship.....

Edited by HornTeacher