My Allentown review

So, after 4 1/2 days of band camp, off to Allentown I go, for what is probably my last junior shows ever. I feel slightly sad on the drive in, but the rain kills some enthusiasm.

great stuff in the allentown paper all week, i hope the articles were snipped onto here and DCP.

The park wasn't as full as i expected on Friday, but again, given the weather, what can one expect? Only us true diehards would brave this crap.

Pre show see lots of folks I know, especially w/Cap Regiment, such as their drum staff and pitter Jami Mills, a DCP reg. Lots of familiar faces in the crowd....always good to see Geoffrey, met Tom Moore, see Jimmy Cosetti, Adam was conveniently within talking distance and i could go on and on.

food good. shopping area crowded which is good for DCI and the corps. Didnt see a lot of tshirts i liked but i'll be back tomorrow...i wanna see LVK, Christine needs food and i should get some too to kill the nic fit. taped version of the national anthem. um hello...we have bugle players across the street?

Stadium looks great with all the revisions. my only advice is smooth that #### hill by the spectators entrance out. With all the work spent on the place, you could spend a few bucks to do that, as i saw many older people struggling with that hill. Also, Show commitee needs to have people in place BOTH nights to keep spectators from entering their seats during a corps performance. if this had been done, i wouldnt have missed half of Pioneer.

The corps for Friday from the 7th row 45 yard line:

LVK....great addition to the show. much better in almost all areas since i saw them at Reading. snare line however had a rough night. Firebird is much better and Ave Maria is absolutely gorgeous...this staff maxes those 18 horns to the fullest. guard much cleaner, and IMO, they have a shot at D3 finals.

Pioneer. Safe little show, lots of individual errors. I couldnt believe the percussion errors this late in the season on simple things like attacks. the Hurricanes hats looked good. veryt wet snare sound, rude on the buzz. brass had a few issues so my brass neighbors pointed out. all in all, the same as Pioneer shows every year. would have seen more, but i had ######## in my way all night getting in their seats despite the fact the corps was on.

Capital Regiment: wow. Should have been over an 80 in my book. Murph wrote a killer battery book, and the pits hand flew all over the boards. Brass seemed very strong, and the guard from what i could see was handling the work well. Some feet issues, as i understand that has been the achilles heel all year. percussion section is a strength, and IMO, should have scored higher. Great ensemble brass sound in the ballad. btw watch that pits hands...wow.

This is a corps whose future looks brighter every year. I cant wait to see where they end up next week.

Southwind: I like the black sash.Overal, the show seemed kind of blah, at least to me, and i thought the ending should have been better. I liked the hidden references to Lezghinka in the show, as well as other familiar melodies of the pieces SCV did back in the 70's. A little lower than i expected...i saw they dropped 5 points from the night before. Drumline had some moments...and some not so nice moments. brass had some power. very nice brass sound and projection in the ballad. Pit left me bland...i was hoping for more.

Mandarins: I liked em this year. Very cool show design, especially with some of the color guard role playing stuff( poor brass judge got a little wet) snare issues abounded, but hey it could be an off night. great pit sound. great use of bacchnale w/out being blatant Phantom rip offs.

Colts: Wow i wanted to like them. But the music left me flat.Some really dumb percussion errors for a week before finals. please go back to doing more interesting music. your show choices since 99 have been worse and worse.

Kiwanis Kavaliers: Last year they started on a trend of coming back to planet Earth and picking shows that was good for them. This year's Beatles offering fell back off that pathway. When my fiancee, a die hard Beatles fan has to admit she didnt recognize all the Beatles tunes listed, there is a problem. Performance wise They should have been much earlier.....they really made Magic look that much better. only thing that kept my attention really was when the guard did their little strip tease act taking off their white tops.

Magic: As we jokingly called "stuff everyone else made famous"....but, we liked it so much we stopped calling it that. Great strong openingin Sinfonia Vocci, and finally, after seeing 10 million bands do it, a version of Abrams Pursuit i liked.Sanctus was cool...slow long build and boom, Easter Symphony...loved the use of the bongos in Sanctus. so Wayne can write non jazz stuff eh:) drumline strong...good job drum staff, have the pit play out a lil more.

Boston: Love the show, however one thing bugged me, and really bugged Christine....in visual school they say do not put big black things on the 40's, because they cover up the field...unless you have grand plans for them.

well, these big black things Boston used for maybe 32 counts at the end, and if you sat low, you missed a lot of stuff that was hidden behind them. Otherwise, i had not one issue with the show. should explain visual scores being low tho.

loved all the little 2000 moments stuck in there between Bolero, Time to say goodbye etc. body work and drill gimmick/ge moments fantastic. brass line played very well, with control and power, and the percussion smoked, especially the 15 snares...loved the low tuning, but be careful it makes you sound fuzzy when you may not be. loved the tenor tuning. this show still has a chance to pull away from Coats and Scouts.

thank you for the 2 Conquest hits...i chanted both times, tho not many others did.

attention all...i saw G stand and applaud Boston...#### has frozen over :)~

SCV: wow. i am not sure what to say here to adequately explain this show to someone who hasnt seen it. This opening, with the tradeoffs from side to side, and matching drill is ingenious, and the bottom bass, who goes all over the field, seemlessly ties in when the full corps is together for the first time. strong brass sound, and honestly the Bb's sounded G to a horn person with me. The guard is absolutely awesome, and the color of their unis works well against the corps proper. I will state for the rcord after seeing all of the D1 corps now that NO ONE SHOULD BEAT SCV IN DRUMS. and that Cadets did is a joke. shame on you Mr Prosperie. Ladies and gentlemen, and drummers too, check this line out. forget the "see em in the lot crap" see em on the move it's even better then! The show flowed so smoothly....great recap at the end of the show.....the cymbal V...you name it this show has it.

am i ranting? possibly. But ladies and gents, this corps was on fire, and in the eyes of many last night, the score was too low...maybe even should have been first.

Cadets, the corps with no hometown up next. Definitely cleaner, but Fanfare and Allegro goes nowhere...actually, coming out of Fave Things, you need something more attention getting. The sound is slow to start...first drum break, and oh look, the same lick they have been using for a few years now....w/some not so clean diddles. congrats on high drums.

Malaguena is still enjoyable, but watch the execution on the cowbells snares. brass lets it rip, but imo, SCV was louder. all in all, bery much like Boogie Woogie, just w/malaguena from a set up into the park and bark, and thanks sops for hanging over the end. Rocky Point, IMO is wasted as the closer. After the high energy rip faces off attempt in Malaguena, RPH just seems to come off lame til 1/2 way thru, esp w/the fave things inserts. Hey people got the Zpull...ok good job, unlike Hershey.

Final thoughts....better yes.Only pit i couldnt hear all night....gee thats odd. i noticed that in fans reactions, they either hated all things YEA/CAdets, or believed they were the second coming. there is no in between with these guys.

I also noticed several anti A&E yells from the stands while George paced the sideline. 94? not IMO. cleaner yes, but not that far ahead of SCV and Phantom and nipping on Cavies heels. high drums......please, not on Hoppys best day. and George, you're a distraction when you pace on the sidleine.also ,when you gesture crescendos on the sidleine, isnt that coaching, and isnt that illegal?

Phantom: Given all the online hype, i expected the second coming of 89 or 96. Now dont get me wrong, they are by no means bad, but they werent what i expected...off night perhaps? drumline much improved(thank you MR Rennick) strong brass as always, and the return of the crab step...yes horn players marching like men(tee) tho i dont know why they skipped in there. they look so #### cool in white again.......some things should be. loved the intro...such quality brass sounds. such a gorgeous build to it. the ballad is girgeous...one their best...and nice to hear battery in it, tho the release was kind of iffy, and could have used a little more power. very end of the show left me flat...great build...then...off. i hope they have a bar or 4 more coming to make it bigger.

congrats to Bree for her solo flag dance stuff...well done kiddo, you made Mburg proud!

Cadets line played everyone for retreat...nice lil beat.wish i could have heard electric wheelchair instead.

you know the scores, no need to post em.

saturday...wake up, go play mini golf at Putt U on rt 309. i won, tho i will admit Christine had me down after the front 9. then i kicked ### on the back 9, while she well..she sucked. hence, i won by 12 strokes and finished one under par.

then to lunch, and then her dream, to see the Cavies rehearse. Got to see Sluggo finally, and he is as cool offline as he is online. truly one of the good ones in this crazy game of life.

while talking to some cavies people, i asked what was up w/the drum scors...they said basically no one is cleaning the snare line, and as such it's hurting them. so, i walk to drum arc to check it out.

now i am no expert, but i have cleaned a snare line or 3 in my life, and let me tell you, cutting the line, pointing at a kid and saying fix it 20 times is not the way to clean the line. Example......during the whole sit down stand up part, they have a cool thing where they are righ hand on the side of the drum, left hand doing a good old fashioned ballad cup type of motion....cool lick. however, they have like 8/9 different approaches to the drum happening. so instead of taking 5 minutes to get everyones approach on the same page, they just cut and say fix it. no wonder their drum scores are as they are. this is a young line, and that kind of attention to detail should be mandatory, and should happen often, as the younger the player, the more likely they need to do it til it comes to be second nature. i know as part of a senior corps line of experienced players we did it. i know to some my comments are not nice and hurting the kids, but sorry, the sacred green cow is not above some criticism. and what is hurting the kids is not my comments but the staffs in actions.

aside from that bugging me all day, great ensemble rehearsal. nice to see that Cavies are like everyone else in how they rehearse and their is no secret trick to it.

Back to the park...Crossmen alumni out in full force, and i see tons of familiar faces. fire up the hibachi, and away we go. now this is drum corps...J Birney, the park at Cedar Beach, brats, dogs, beers, and friends. lots of compliments on my anti a&e shirt too.

(oh and hey Matt...should have heard the Crossmen alumni....ya know that perception we discuss...its widely held there. in fact, YEA was called a curse word by one alumni)

souvie buying was fun, except SCV was out of hockey jerseys in normal human sizes(anything above an L) DCI was out of mid season cds, so mine get shipped Monday. Tshirts much beter this year than the last few, and my fave corps got what they deserved from me.

singer for the national anthem had an issue or two...started too high. good try tho, tough piece.

and the corps...again, 7th row, 45 yard line.

Troopers: I hate the black pants. bland bland bland.at least get a stripe. More up to date show design than in recent past....however many brass issues, and it isnt cause of the horns used, it cause of the players. drumline extremely strong.. great train effect. the show seemed to drag a little in the middle, but they picked up again towards the end, and all in all, the best they have been for a while now.

oh before i forget...pre show...sunburst and old school rifle exchange w/dm in the middle...absolutely awesome.

Glassmen: i want to be polite. Ok, that super fan of theirs was loud as always. Nice opening impacts, then they kinda lost me. drumline performed well, but the new staff seems to have lost that Gmen sound i liked so much. Ballas dragged on, and some brass performance issues. decent quality of sound tho. until fire, its tough to tell which element is where, tho the drumline and the wood toys let you hear the fire pop...tho some of the pops sounded like booboos. the ending to fire left me flat. the closer, just seemed to be a build to a big hit. this is not a finals year for them.

Seattle: the new kids are back....and outside looking in. The show is missing that spark they had last year...hunger and entertainment appeal. guard unis fit the show. nice into moment big hit, but brass tuning wasnt there. perc played well, and brass has power....but the show just doesnt have it. guard does some ok spanish type dance, but overall, the music picked doesnt help get the crowd going like last year.

Spirit: What a show. Love the tributes to other corps in the ballad, with the flags of Royer, Zingali, 27 and Bridgemen...27th getting the biggest reaction from the fans. loved the Let It Be ending to the ballad. Powerful hornline, and i loved the time references in the show, and the 16th notes in the sops were done well. 1979, boom Nutville updated and rocking...killer groove, true to the original w/some added touches. App Morning rocked, even the lick right off Xmen 92....nice touch. all these tribute moments to other corps was so cool...kudos is you catch em all, i dont think i did.

oh wow...let it Be Me company front push....so sweet...i actually had a tear hornline wasnt as loud as i expected, and some drum dirt...but they are definitely in...now...will we see a Jim Ott flag for finals? or one for Jason Lowe?

Blue Knights: interesting lead in to the show...turn around big hit...wanted it to be bigger myself. lots of bass drums stuff....nice for impact. liked the hornline singing drum speak in the opener. however the tune failed to keep my fully engaged. ballad left me flat, and coming out of ballad seemed forced. so does the closer. this should probably be the 13th place corps when it is all said and done

Crown: God i love this show more and more. seemed a tad flat tonight tho brass wise. Color guard with the rifles and the bells...wow...perfectly timed to the perc score, and not a drop that i saw....such a perfect marraige of music and visual(yeah but Sharon says i dont notice guards) perc beginning is so sweet, and brass entrance is wow...clean and powerful. Stained Glass is a highlight must for all....really. i know i mentioned it above, but i cant get it out of my head. Carol of the Bells seemed a little flat intensity wise, but was still clean. here is my hope for Crown to make a huge surge this coming week in orlando.

Crossmen: before i do the show, lets set the scene. The back stands are gone. Just a big wall now. Corps is setting up for the on field warmup, and from BEHIND the back well, in a lift cart, comes Bones, w/lights inside his shirt so he can be seen. by far the coolest Bones entrance ever. and a huge hype to the kids and the corps.seriously, when people noticed him(and everyone was looking for him), the place went nuts, and rightfully so. ok Bones, top that in Orlando:)

Ok, then the corps came out,and Rainbow is still, the highlight of the show. great brass impact, and again the guard w/that colored fabric is wonderful. St James was grooving, but didnt seem to have the power of previous viewings. drumline performed well here, and the guard added what looked to be a green top, which helped trmendously. I could hear the Chez influence on the sop soloists.

blue Rondo...perc scoring much clearer w/execution up...til the singles at the end of the break. also, the very ending lick is kinda disjointed...feels like shots thrown wherever for being shots. brass re entry was smoking, esp the hit for Blues.

closer smoked...thank you for hiding the drum racks in the back. now please, i beg you clean that section...man what dirt at times. i know its difficult, but difficult is only so cool if it isnt clean.

Becky held that last note long and loud, and the crowd replied. to it. you go Xgirl(and be ready for band camp in 2 weeks)

some Cadets fan here said it's a bando show...horse####. in fact, they are the new Madison...hear that crowd reaction when their score was announced at retreat? boos, then cheers. ever hear that before? this is solid drum corps, and is light years more entertaining than the YEA corps who gets all the perks.

Madison: the new unis arent that bad...would rather the old ones. visually their feet look so much better under Jamey Thompson...no more herky jerky motions on direction changes. Color guard much improved. Loved the fleur de lis on an angle...twice even! looking at the recap, the drum score hurts, and it is noticeable...i love ya madison, but its no conspiracy.

nice attention getting opening with the basses and the toms, and the 8 to 5 at 160 by the brass....opening impact could be bigger. however from there, the opener seems to drag a bit, then picks up leading to the ending....dug the screamers too. loved the hint of Rhapsody in the beginning of the ballad...followed by some way we were...nice touches, as were the flags of yesteryear. the perc groove immeadiately out of it was nice.....some dirt, but a good feel, and the horn hits were nice. next ballad was to me more effective, leading up to the big push.....closer seemed to drag....way too much up n down sensations. when finally approaching the end, then it felt like a good tune should.

all in all, way improved, and no conspiracies need apply.what are those poles for. please, they make not one #### bit of sense. lose them and see scores go up, betcha 10 bucks.

Bluecoats: Man, Ian looks short even on the podium( Sorry Dude, you knew it 's been coming since Mburg HS 1998) the crowd didnt boo...they blued. a step up for Blue in sophistication and story telling, but it works well. nice opening and great pit sounds (good job Tom) opening impact is nice and builds to a bigger impact...and boom that Coats groove is underway...nice brush work by the snares, and what a tenor line. Balld time, and loved the tango feel, referencing 01...pit scoring here makes it all come together, and what a brass sound played backfield. Loved the whole pursuit and capture thing, told well by the guard, who in all red stuck out in all the right ways. the whole framing sections of the drums was cool, as was the final capture of the soloist. lots of up and down in the middle, but it works and doesnt lose the crowd.

my only concern is that the ending is big enough....feels like it needs 8 more bars of power to nail it home

BD: wow. hand down....this is the show to beat. I&E like opening w/the drums is way cool, and performed well.i know some people complain that every old BD song in the world is in there in some way, but they make it work. they also have visual demand like BD never had before. i remember the old joke that BD never goes about 140. Now i dont think they go below it.

brass entrance way cool visually and musically. what power the hornline has, and the ensemble sound is wonderful...drum scoring fits in so well. the dissonance thing where the dm cues side to side is way cool, and the chord they resolve on is so sweet. this show is so high energy...it feels to me like SCV did last night. blue Rondo is a joy to the ears. drum rack is back, and the run all around it to make a cool effect and cool notes. is it the toughest thing played no but its clean and adds to the effect,...and just looks #### cool. ballad....concierto de aranjuez, and what a sound...and what high note!

scat singing and a killer tenor lick...into West Side sotry and some serious pedal tones. snare lick w/split 16ths player to player was sweet...touch watching their hands who was on the 8ths and who had the upbeat stuff they made it look that easy. diggin the take 5 section. wow what an ending...running, blasting horns, the drum racks again, and the guard is non stop...some tosses were higher than than i was off the ground in my seats. this show has it all, and i dont think it can be caught? #11 anyone?

this show is for real. this show should be the champion.

Cavies. Ok so i saw them rehearse, so i know the show a lot better, music still flat except for the Miles Davis hit...thats the only time i remember them at ff or above. Yes they run/march well, and the visual gimmicks are cool, esp if upstairs. from the 7th row, i saw feet phasing and a bass drummer out of step. also saw a rifle take out a mello player. the new ending leaves me flat...i understand the whole "cycle" thing, and how it ends basically be replaying how it starts, but it just was....well blah. esp after BD. not sure how they won ensemble music. Cant win every year, and this year, unless god intervenes, they wont. musically they still dont have enough loud to go with the soft, and you can still hear feet coming thru the horn in some of the running.

btw nice on field warmup of Korean Folk Song

perc execution...well, see my comments about their rehearsal. pit was fabulous.

quick fixes....clean the snares....add volume....and pray.

final thoughts. well, if A&E isnt repealed, this was my last DCI show. That fact saddened me, and really has my fiancee in a fit, but honestly, i liked 10 shows out 22...less than 50%. and with amps and crap coming, well i am not supporting it, just as i dont pay to see marching band shows.

if this is going to be my last show, i know i didnt pay over $100 for my seat, like next year at Denver, and i went out at a stadium with a ton of drum corps history and traditiion tied to it.

if you are a DCI director and you read this, i beg you, propose that A&E be revoked. after all your executive director glared at my anti a&e shirtt by the lower level mens room when he saw it.

to the kids....keep plugging....i know it looks like crappy weather in the #### hole known as orlando, but end your year as best you can, and thanks for making what is probably my last year of DCI a fun one.

sorry for any typos a bad thunderstorm rolled in and i am getting offline before i edit

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic review. Thanks! - B) - Almost feels like I was there. (As I had planned to be before changes at my job. :( ) Good stuff.

... but if you really don't go to any shows next season just because of the amplification rule (no E, just A) ... well, then it's "boot to the head" time! - :beer: - IOW, don't be silly.

Edited by Orpheus

Boston: Love the show, however one thing bugged me, and really bugged Christine....in visual school they say do not put big black things on the 40's, because they cover up the field...unless you have grand plans for them.

well, these big black things Boston used for maybe 32 counts at the end, and if you sat low, you missed a lot of stuff that was hidden behind them. Otherwise, i had not one issue with the show. should explain visual scores being low tho.

loved all the little 2000 moments stuck in there between Bolero, Time to say goodbye etc. body work and drill gimmick/ge moments fantastic. brass line played very well, with control and power, and the percussion smoked, especially the 15 snares...loved the low tuning, but be careful it makes you sound fuzzy when you may not be. loved the tenor tuning. this show still has a chance to pull away from Coats and Scouts.

thank you for the 2 Conquest hits...i chanted both times, tho not many others did.

attention all...i saw G stand and applaud Boston...#### has frozen over :)~

Thanks, Jeff.

I noted G's approval upon his first viewing of this show. As much as it's appreciated that Geoffrey digs this show, if you'll note in his Friday Allentown review, he took several potshots at BAC...oh, well, some things just NEVER change!!! :P

G, if you read this, we gotta meet up in Orlando...I owe you a pat on the back...and a slap in the head!!! :P :P :P

Edited by strutta

before I even read this..............I gotta say................

WTF? Wieseman doesn't call me while you guys are lounging, beveraging and listening to DCI while I am dripping sweat with 100% humidity while moving my entire life to another state?

hmm.........hope it was a genuine mistake.

but Fanfare and Allegro goes nowhere...actually, coming out of Fave Things, you need something more attention getting. The sound is slow to start...first drum break, and oh look, the same lick they have been using for a few years now....w/some not so clean diddles.

Rocky Point, IMO is wasted as the closer. After the high energy rip faces off attempt in Malaguena, RPH just seems to come off lame til 1/2 way thru, esp w/the fave things inserts.

high drums......please, not on Hoppys best day.

WOW, from this reviewer's point of view it seems The Cadets will be lucky to make finals b**bs

Turning off the Smart a@@.

Thanks for the time you put into sharing your thoughts with us.

Ok, so..below is what I wrote:

<<How can you be "mad" at the Boston Crusaders......they have a show that works so well, is so appealing, and so full of GE and crowd appeal that you just have to overlook the fact that they are "getting away with murder" in regards to show design and re-hashed moves and maneuvers. First off, the guard is the best they have been in terms of execution and demand since the late seventies. They have a book that highlights their skill effectively, and they rise to the ocasion. The actual silks are beautiful and highlight the show perfect. The music is well known......full of highs and lows, latin in flavor and solid in its appeal......anyone sitting on their hands during this show is dead.

It's a given this show will do well..I say anywhere from 6th through 8th..that's the level it is on design wise and difficulty wise...maxed out, it will be 6th..the interesting thing is..what will Boston come up with next year ??? Theres no way they will be forgiven if they continue with the predictable, overused drill moves and stylings.........next year is a very important year for the Boston Crusaders.>>

That's a pretty positive review, and an honest, unbiased one. Designwise....I told the truth....I priased this show alot, its a good show...where are the "Sefer pot-shots" ...

Please point them out as anything other than a review ..?? :beer:

~G~

WOW, from this reviewer's point of view it seems The Cadets will be lucky to make finals b**bs

Turning off the Smart a@@.

Thanks for the time you put into sharing your thoughts with us.

OMG, I know !! Can you believe it (Wink, wink - nudge, nudge) A free thinker and not even a member of the "borg" !!! b**bs

~G~

Ok, so..below is what I wrote:

you just have to overlook the fact that they are "getting away with murder" in regards to show design and re-hashed moves and maneuvers.

I say anywhere from 6th through 8th..that's the level it is on design wise and difficulty wise...maxed out, it will be 6th..the interesting thing is..what will Boston come up with next year ??? Theres no way they will be forgiven if they continue with the predictable, overused drill moves and stylings.........

See potshots above as I edited your post.

It's to be expected as that ax you've been grinding must be down to a penknife by now! :beer:

And for the record, you did not tell the 'truth'. You gave your opinion. That's fine.

You just can't seem to give Boston praise without throwing in a couple of slaps.

OMG Strutta, you DO wear "Waldo colored glasses" LOL...there is nothing written above wether on face value, or hidden agenda, that can be construed as a pot-shot...my praise was quite blatant. To gove an opinion regarding design and demand, after seeing ALL corps in a 28 hour period, is an inofrmed opinion based on my 24 years of experience (not syaing thats alot, jsut stating fact) Are you saying that a corps that has a 6th - 8th place designed show is a pot shot ?? Well, newsflash ...they HAVE BEEN PLACING BETWEEN 6th through 8th, and if you think for one second they are catching SCV or Cadets or Phantom...you are truly cwayzeeee!!!!!!!! No, theres no pot-shot there, that IS fact..and theres nothing wrong with their show, I would lay money to se it , even if they were the only corps there.....

As far as the re-hash comment, and getting away with murder ?? well..they are !!! year after year, their biggest "wow" moves have been the fifty yard line spread, the two line spreads on the 30 yard lines, the box with the guard in the middle, the same visuals, etc...etc....not a pot shot, a statement based on an observation....face the reality, the show is good, the show is awesome.......the show is entertaining, and the show is being rewarded right where it belongs...6th - 8th !!

~G~