My Allentown review

since when does second place (barely) to the Devils qualify as "suck" ??

Hi George -

It's not the score that's the issue. The Cavaliers could have won the show or come in sixth and assessed it the same way. For every show the Cavaliers put on, the issue is, "Did we do what we were capable of doing?" If the corps and the staff feel that they performed like they rehearsed, and rehearsed to make sure that the talent of the members is fully showcased, then everything is fine, regardless of whether the result is first or twentieth place.

As several posters suggested and Sluggo confirmed, the Cavaliers seem to have had an off night. Every corps has 'em, and no corps wants 'em or likes 'em. I can remember shows where we all rocked, and where we all did so-so, and where everybody did great except for me, and vice versa. Our quarterfinals performance in 1992 was one of those nights where everybody said "hmmm...." afterwards, but fortunately we brought our "A" show the next night. Everybody who marched in 1990, and I mean EVERYBODY, can tell you about the difference between Whitewater prelims and Whitewater finals.

Every season has little cycles in it (no pun intended). I'd be happy to have all my off nights in June and July, and none of them in August!

Sure, I root for the Cavaliers to win every show, but what drives the organization deep down is whether they achieved what they set out to achieve, irrespective who else is there, or how they perform.

Best regards -

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but Fanfare and Allegro goes nowhere...actually, coming out of Fave Things, you need something more attention getting. The sound is slow to start...first drum break, and oh look, the same lick they have been using for a few years now....w/some not so clean diddles.

Rocky Point, IMO is wasted as the closer. After the high energy rip faces off attempt in Malaguena, RPH just seems to come off lame til 1/2 way thru, esp w/the fave things inserts.
high drums......please, not on Hoppys best day.

WOW, from this reviewer's point of view it seems The Cadets will be lucky to make finals b**bs

Turning off the Smart a@@.

Thanks for the time you put into sharing your thoughts with us.

I agree, Barbara.

Jeff....you know I love you....but honey....cough biased cough

But thank you for the review, Jeff. Always good to read.

<**>

actually kat its now a trend, not bbias.

2 years in a row more and more become less enchanted with Cadets show as the season goes on.

i'd say this could even stretch back to 01.

google sometime or search the archives here. i did before i made this post...history is bearing my out.

late in the year, cadets seem to turn off more n more late in the year, except the YEA faithful

I will state for the record that the Cadets got as much or more audience response than any other corps competing on both days...

Boston Crusaders got the best response Friday night. Phantom Regiment second. Cadets third.

i'd actually put SCV third from my view.

and of the early corps, Cap reg hands down got the lead til Boston came on

There was something special about SCV's performance at West Chester...unlike other groups, it felt like they were really gunning and were getting the most out of their tour fees. Those mellophones...that drumline...wow.

There was something special about PR's performance as well...the soprano entrance at the beginning was incredible.

Thank you SCV and PR, you made me like drum corps again.

Drew Ross

i have looked at your post now about 20 times...and you nailed the moment for me.

SCV felt to me like a Phantom 96 moment.

one of things where for 11 minutes, nothing else existed

• 2 months later...